“Woodridge Rip-off”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Balgowan
Woodridge Country Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Balgowan
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Woodridge Rip-off”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I understand weddings are a big expensie business however its not ideal when you leave a wedding feeling than you have been taken advantage off. We had a wedding at Woodridge a couple of weekends ago. The whole venue was booked out for the wedding from the Friday night until the Sunday. The Friday night there was a braai which was R130 per head ! Excessive I thought but that was before we ordered drinks. You could not order a bottle of wine under R200 ! We never saw a manager the whole night and I must say after a few drinks we left early with a bad taste in our mouths and a feeling of being taken advantage off. The wedding was stunning and the food was great pity about the shoddy service, The bar man was probably the slowest I have ever had to deal with and amazingly enough his prices kept changing the whole night - supposed to be an open bar but we were charged and the prices varied. The same bottle of wines prices varied from R 140 to R180??? Can help thinking that the waiters and staff were taking the mickey out of the guests. When we complained to the manager she wasnt much help and couldnt provide answers. We had a babysitter both nights. The original price was R50 per hour which is pretty standard. We paid the babysitters on the Saturday night only to find out later that the babysitting had been added to the main bill as well at a whopping R 85 per hour!!! This had to be rectified after we had left. Thank goodness we found out ...imagine the other things we were charged for that we were not supposed to be. TEveryone was looking forward to using the spa - this was also a let down. The massages where average and the manicure lady did not know what a french paint was???

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Pollardski
WoodridgeEstate, Owner at Woodridge Country Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Well let's give our side of the story and we are not making excuses - just the facts.

A general comment - The problem guests seem to have is that when looking for "THE MANAGER" they want a Man in a suit - then they believe the manager is present. Our General Manager is a lady . A small lady and she is personally present at all functions to a point and then hands over to a Duty Manager once satisfied all is going smoothly. The Duty Manager for the night was Nelson - also the Head Bar Man. A mature, well spoken and competent gentleman. Realistically from a business perspective 1 person cannot be at functions 24 \7 - 7 days a week !! The GM is however on 24 hour call out and the Duty managers are all well trained and competent - experienced in dealing with guests who have consumed vast amounts of alcohol as often the case at weddings.

Boma Braai R130.00 - for 300 gms of meat per person - boerewors, Lamb chop and large chicken drumstick. , 4 salads, 2 starch dishes, fresh bread and rolls plus dessert ? Definitely not overpriced - You cannot eat a steak at a Spur for this. I think this guest is out of touch with food pricing. !!

We most definitely sell wine below the R200.00 mark. So this is simply untrue. We will willing supply a full wine list. Prices vary depending on your choice .
The Wine issue on the wedding night was thoroughly investigated by the Manager on the night and afterwards by myself. Let's put this into perspective - it was +_ 11 pm and guests had had A LOT to drink when this query arose ! The Bar Tab was +_ R 20 000.00 with 60 bottles of white and 60 bottles of red wine provided by the Groom's Dad. Now why would anyone be buying wine ??? The GM asked the Barman this exact question. The Barman's response - I have SOLD NO WINE !! It is all on the tab . The Gentleman in question could not tell the GM What wine he had apparently purchased !! Could not remember. Certainly the sales records showed no wine sales for the whole day and the stock balanced . The Bar Tab Wine was brought in by the Dad - not our stock and this is what guests were served ? The interesting thing is the pricing claimed - not R200.00 so a complete contradiction.

Bar Service : It anyone has a solution to this matter we would love to hear about this. I have not been to any bar in the world where 120 guests can all be served at once. There are crunch times during service and we put on additional hands during a wedding. The Bar space can only accommodate 4\5 barmen and they do their very best. On this evening we did have a system issue which could not be rectified despite every effort to do this and they had to use a manual system. It slowed the process, not something planned. Guests unfortunately -especially when they have had lots to drink - can be totally unreasonable.

Babysitting - The Advertised rate is R 85.00 per hour. Not R50.00. Generally Mom's are more than willing to pay this for someone experienced to care for their children - these days an important task. This is not our core business and an extra service - not compulsory but optional. This is the price we believe appropriate to pay for someone to care for a child. Not per child - but per room - so babysitters do care for more than one child and in this case I believe it was 2 children. We pay the Babysitter well - it is not a service offered lightly. Unfortunately the guest did not follow procedure which is carefully documented and paid the Babysitter directly. The babysitter did not inform the office - I guess thought she would get double pay !! We charged the room account per normal process. When brought to our attention this was sorted out immediately and the staff member was removed from duty for being dishonest. An honest mistake on the part of reception which was rectified immediately.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Durban
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed at Woodridge for two nights for a wedding in August. Due to the number of guests not everyone could stay in the accommodation near the main building. We were allocated to "Forest" rooms in the new estate development and yes the roads are not perfect, but the hotel does offer a shuttle service and some guests used their own cars seemingly without problem. When the building work is completed this is likely to be sorted. We found the staff friendly and helpful and our accommodation was of a high standard (excellent bathroom, huge bath and shower, large towels, toiletries etc) and very comfortable (good quality linen, electric blankets, heater, tv on the wall etc). The breakfast was of a high standard with excellent home made muesli, selection of fruits, very good selection of local cheeses, muffins etc. My scrambled eggs and mushrooms were outstanding. We thought the coffee was a bit weak and it was changed for us without any problem. The wedding was beautiful and the set up spectacular. The dinner was of a high standard with the dessert particularly excellent - guests at the table all raved about it. As a frequent international traveller I would say Woodridge has a very good offering and good be excellent if they addressed a few areas. I am sorry that other guests found it necessary to be so scathing about the Hotel, it certainly was not our experience. Generally we have found it you treat people well they go out of their way for you even if there is confusion over a reservation....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank knowthegoodstuff
Many thanks for your very positive review of the hotel - we sincerely appreciate you positive opinion and calm and sensible assessment.
This review is from the same weekend as a negative review and yet the same hotel , same staff, same accommodation and food - honestly has to make you think - doesn't it ??

As an hotel owner we are grateful for the many many thousands of guests who visit our hotel, who come and enjoy the facilities and the weddings hosted by the hotel. They come with positive minds wanting to have a good and happy experience. We certainly try our very best to please our guests. We try our best to deliver value for money and a good experience.

Considering the law of averages - I presume that you cannot please everyone all the time. Generally our weddings, hosted very single weekend - on average 100 people are 99% of happy guests. We strive for 100% satisfaction and achieving 99% certainly has to be good.

This is not an easy business to keep all guests happy and achieve a perfect 10 out of 10 but after 13 years of successful business,and more than 600 weddings under our belts, we will certainly not give up trying our very very best at all times.
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed August 20, 2012

we had to attend a weding at the hotel - we made reservations for my wife and i and my 2 sons and my eldest sons wife and there 10 month old baby - making sure we all had seperate rooms - (3rooms) all was confirmed months in advance - on arrival only 2 rooms are given to us putting my 2 sons his wife and baby all in the same room - a 30 yr old and 25yr old with wife and baby who is breast feeding all in a small poky room - this is after makeing sure all my arrangements were in order and i had paid in full before arrival - now the hotel is fully booked and they are not able to help - very sorry we are full what must we do they say - i blew a fuse and meraculasly a room apears - very sorry but being in the travel business as a tourim markeing company owner and having stayed at over 250 hotels and lodges - i am always looking at what a property offers - so brings me to my next observations - the food is very average - no welcome on arrival - no milk in the room for tea/coffee - the roads in the estate are undrivable in a car you will need a 4x4 or damage your car.i dont know how it was posible for them to get 4 stars it is definatly 3 star only.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mark c
I am not commenting but attaching the Father of the Brides response to me. The person writing the review is is brother. The language used by this guest was shocking - the worst we have experienced in 13 years. Threatened staff and had the brides mother in tears. Judge for yourself !!

Good day Sue,

Let me start by saying I am embarrassed to be related to this person, given the inexcusable behaviour displayed on Saturday 18 August 2012 (the day of my daughter’s wedding!)

I can only talk to the issue of the accommodation. This was simply a case of poor communication between myself and the complainant. As you know there were only 28 rooms available at the venue and I had to allocate these as best I could to ensure that as many of the family and friends who had indicated a preference for staying at the venue were accommodated and did not have to travel to other venues. We also instructed Cynthia to follow our allocation. I am not sure why or how the change from a family cottage to normal room actually occurred (I may have been under the impression that his son’s and daughter in law were staying on Saturday only, and my contract specifies that these 15 rooms have to be filled by 2 people for both nights) – but I did try to explain to my brother on the 18th that the cottages are also really in one room. I was not aware of his instructions on booking and in retrospect should have liaised better with him on this issue, but when one is dealing with 114 guests these small things can get missed. From your part, you would have been justified in assuming that these discussions had taken place. My brother keeps harping on that he was paying and it was his booking – he does not seem to understand that with a function like this someone needs to coordinate ALL bookings to ensure that rooms are properly allocated and utilised. I also tried to explain that there were other cases of guests sharing a room, and there were other family members and close friends who had also been placed “on the mountain”.

The fact that someone cannot conduct themselves in a respectful manner, or understand that this is just one or two nights for them but is a lifetime event for the bride and groom, is beyond comprehension. People sometimes get a bit carried away by their own sense of importance.

Sue, I wish you success in this matter and hope it can be resolved. I will of course be putting my own comments on Tripadvisor.

Once again, my apologies

Travelers are raving about these Balgowan hotels

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were not greeted on arrival by the gentleman standing in reception. A lady came out of the office and gave us our keys after initially not finding our name on the guest list. We were given the Honeymoon suite. Very large room with twin beds pushed together. One heater on one side of the room and electric heaters on the bed. Room was freezing. Bathroom was freezing and the tiling and grouting were unfinished. No handtowels. No phone to phone reception. Used our own cell phone. Lady arrived with two handtowels and told us that they never put these out as people dont require them. Went for dinner which was outstanding. The food was really delicious and the choices were plentiful. Left a do not disturb sign on our room door. Came back to find that they had been in to turn down the beds.
Following night, getting ready for dinner, we had do not disturb sign up again, lady knocks and walks right in! No wi fi reception. They explained that they had had a power failure and they are working on it. They worked on it until we checked out and then gave us our two coldrinks on the house for the inconvenience. Four TV channels - no news. Did not make use of Spa.
Views spectacular, location is very good. Four Stars??? I dont think so!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ragatan
, Owner at Woodridge Country Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
I begin this response by stating that this comes as no surprise. This couple went out of their way to be difficult and made the life of every staff member that they encountered difficult. In fact impossible.
I believe that their issues started prior to arrival. At the last minute they tried ot cancel because they could not get car hire from Oribi airport as it was Durban July Weekend.
My reservationist tried her best to assist them and then offerend to move the booking to another weekend. They advised that she should hold the booking and take it they were coming. They initially tried to demand a refund of a non refundable deposit.
They arrived mid afternoon and so did trouble. They were definitely not in 2 beds pushed together Room 10 has a large kind sized bed.
WIthin minutes of arrival they started their demands. We had just experienced a power outage caused by Eskom. Our generator kicked in immediately but upset their TV tuning - this was an issue. They also complained about the fact that they only had 2 Bathsheets and 2 Bath Towels. They wanted Hand Towels. These were delivered immediately - not by some lady - but by the GM who introduced herself. The wife attached our GM about the Internet. We explained that we were running on generator and that the interent was down. Eskom had been called to sort out their pole problem.
The Eskom outage lasted about 1.0 hour and the generator supplied power all this time. Unfortuantely whent the Eskom power was restored we discovered that the transmitter to the rooms had been affected by this power surge. We called our IT company immediately.. It was however late on Friday afternoon and they advised they could only come on Monday. Guests were advised they could get emails in the main centre. This router was working and separate from the rooms. Unfortuantely no free internet access could be given as the Firewall machine was affected and facebook and internet access was prevented. This was a constant issue for these guests who complained about this non stop and eventually told the receptionist that she was lying.

With regard to the room being cold - this has not been an issue in the past. The rooms has 2 wall mounted heaters and one additional oil heater. These would have gone off only for a couple of moments. The bathroom does not have a heated floor - definitely not a 4 star requirement and not advertised to have this. On the rates charged and the cost of Eskom this would definitely not be an option. The bathroom has a heater of its own. It was an exceptionally cold weekend and we are sorry that the guests felt cold.
Dinner was a huge issue. This couple was on a DBB rate. The dinner provision includes 1 starter, 1 Main course and 1 dessert off a full a la carte menu. This couple ordered 6 starters, 2 mains and 2 desserts. Staf were given the run around second to none. The manager on duty complained to me the next morning that she had never met such an unreasonable couple before. They were shown to a table for two. Refused this. Insisted on sitting at a table for 8. Then performed about the lighting . Were offerend candles and went on about this not being a romantic weekend - they need to see the menu . Not one of the staff on duty at anytime during this stay had one good word to say about this couple. They were clearly determined to be unhappy no matter what.
I can honestly say that the staff were all aware of their attitude and tried their very best.
They were not charged for adidtional starters having rudely told the waiter it was included. He was totally intimidated.
They were not charged their bar bill simply because we did not want any more drama and preferred to let them go as quickly as possible.

We have blacklisted this couple and would not welcome them back to the hotel again
We did not give them a guests questionnaire to complete. There just seemed to be no point. Everything would have been wrong.
We had some lovely guests in for the weekend. Our guest reviews were excellent and other guests were full of smiles and seemed extremely happy. They had the same treatment as these unhappy guests. I guess some guests you simply cannot please.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Our room was a nice size with heaters and electric blankets. The bathroom was very old and needs to be redone. The king size bed was two single beds joined together.

We felt that the staff, especially the receptionist was not interested in taking ownership in 2 requests we had. This was disappointing.

The drinks, even soft drinks and water was priced extremely expensive and with no bar fridge in our room we had no alternative.

We enjoyed the good food and the setting of the Hotel.

Room Tip: C1-4 Get allot of car noise.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Owner at Woodridge Country Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Many thanks for your feedback KarlB. We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with feedback and your feedback is definitely taken seriously. I will be checking on exactly which Cottage you were allocated, but can advise that we are in the process of revamping all the cottages and have completed all the room areas and are busy with the bathrooms.
As our requirement is more often than not for twin beds especially from overseas guests you are correct that king size beds are made using two twin beds with a mattress converter. This I believe to be normal hotel practice even in 5 * hotels and we have never had a problem or comment in this regard before.

I am really sorry that the reception staffs lacked interest and more sorry that this was not brought to my General Mangers attention while you were onsite. The General Manager was present in the venue at all key times of the day and night. I have to say that most of the staff in reception have worked at Woodridge for more than 10 years and we do not normally get compaints . I am a little suprised. One of these ladies is a Director. I am wondering if maybe your requests were directed at one of the casual students that assist over weekends . These are local girls and boys that are undergoing training to try and provide them with a skill. It could be that they did not understand as sometime their English is not up to speed and they do not understand Afrikaans at all. Guests experiencing this kind of issue and brining it to our attention immediately will most certainly find that staff are brought inline and any issues reported are dealt with immediately. I am trying to establish from my ladies who you dealt with and what the 2 issues were. I am not winning in this regard. No issues seems to be menioned in any guest questionnaires .
I would at this stage like to advise that we had +_ 38 guests onsite for the wedding you attended and had more questionnaires handed in than normal which was great. Besides a few minor positive suggestions the reviews were excellent to good with no mention of bad service besides a few "slow bar". Everyone raved about the food and wedding in general. The bridal party were extatic. ! I can assure you that we will make sure that all reception staff are fully briefed on your findings and this will not be accepted. Staff will be closely monitored in this regard.

We are busy with a review of our bar prices. We are comparing our pricing with other 4 \5 Star hotels in the area, as previously undertaken. We have honestly never had a complaint in this regard before and having travelled fairly extensively ourselves do not belive that the alcohol pricing is out of line. More than a bar or steak house - but acceptable for a 4* hotel. Our Wines are definitely cheap in comparison to most Gauteng and Durban Based hotel and restaurants of a comparable standard. Bar fridges are not in rooms as we do not permitted guests to bring in their own drinks. This is normal hotel practice as we are a licenced premises and selling alcohol and beverages is our business. Monitoring of stocked bar fridges is a nightmare which considering the rates we charge cannot be justified. From our experience stock goes missing and the hotel ends up footing the bill. To justify a stocked bar fridge our rates would need to be at least 30% higher and mini bar stock is always very pricey. Bar fridges in rooms is not a grading requirement - just a nice to have.

You are definitely the first guest in 13 years of operation to compain about car noice. The gardens around the chalets are well established and this was done to try and conceal the chalets which are close to the road and thereby protect them as best possible from noise from vehicles and other onsite guests. I will be making a point of re- instructing our staff that they are not permitted to drive up and down making a noise behind the chalets until after breakfast. Trying to control this with other guests will not be easy but we will put up a sign that asks guests to please consdier others that may still be sleeping and to please access and exit the hotel quietly. I hope this will do the trick.

Thanks again for your feedback . Much appreciated. We will action the items which can be actioned.
Weltevredenpark, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed July 1, 2012

On arrival I was impressed with the check-in and everything was organised as expected. Our meal at the boma with our friends was amazing and the evening ended on a high.

Unfortunately the staff service and general attitude at breakfast was really shocking the next morning. It was almost as-if they tried not the see you when you call them :-(

The breakfast itself was great - and we enjoyed the spa treatment, although it was more of a rubdown than a professional treatment. The evening's food at the wedding was truly AMAZING! Our room was fantastic, a hint might be to add heaters to the bathrooms :-)

In summary, the food is great, the location is great, the alcohol is completely over prized and Nelson is is only memorable and pleasant staff member! Well done to the CHEF!

Room Tip: Try get a room in a house on the hill. Forest Houses.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Owner at Woodridge Country Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2012
Dear Carel

Many thnks for your feedback both postive and negative. We take this feedback seriously and appreciate you taking time to give this feedback. I would like to advise that we have a new F+B Manager starting on the 15th July and I sincerely hope this will resolve some of the staff issues in the restaurant that you mention. It is an ongoing battle to get the waitering staff to watch the guests during breakfast, infact generally. We simply do not get the calibre of waiters found in a city and do our best with local skills which we try on an ongoing basis to improve. Not easy. ! Both our Wedding Co-ordinator and General Manager were present for both breakfasts so this feedback is not good news and this will be addressed with these managers immeidately. I am so disappointed to receive negative comments regarding staff attitudes because more rencetly we have had just the opposite and this is not the norm. Staff are generally happy, pleasant and helpful no matter what, even if not able to give perfect service. I definitely need to find out why the staff were not performming

I would like to mention that the resort accommodated +_ 40 guests for two nights over this weekend and your feedback was not as reflected in general on the guest questionnaires nor by the bridal party on departure. Most evaluations agreed with you on the food and accommodation but did not comment negatively on service. Scores were generally excellent to good. Someone did mention the alcohol pricing. I would like to advise that from our surveys in the area, our pricing is inline with other 4 star Hotels in this area. Our wine pricing is much cheaper than any Gauteng restaurant and infact the normal comment is that the wine pricing is unbelievably cheap. I will most definitely investigate this again. We do not want to have unreasonable pricing.

Bar service was the only other real negative on the questionnaires - slow. I wold love some practical suggestion on how best to sort this problem out. Practically we could not have more barmen serving drinks behind the bar and I am not aware of any bar in the world where all guests get served at once. Clearly there is a bottle neck when guests first arrive and want their first drinks and then also after speeches when everyone wants to charge their glasses at the same time. We have honestly tried to figure out how this could be resolved but without success. Maybe you are able to assist in this regard ? Any assisance would be much appreciated.

Once again we are greatful for your feedback. It does highlight some importnant issues and these will be addressed urgently.
Ladysmith, South Africa
Reviewed June 12, 2012

i attended a conference with my company and was very happy with the food service and accomadation.the staff were professional and friendly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
WoodridgeHotel, Owner at Woodridge Country Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Many thanks for your very positive review. We appreicate you taking the time to write this. So often these sites attact only negative reviews because human nature is to point out the negative rather than the positive. It is refreshing to get people that say thanks and share their compliments. We do an internal guest review and these are always 99% good but unfortunately because most people do not review on TripAdvisor this good perception gets distorted. For this reason we so value rreviews like yours and thank you once again for taking the trouble to review our hotel. We loved having your Conference group here - The company has been coming to Woodridge for the past 3 years and then more than once in a year. We look forward to hosting you all here again. Thanks for your support.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Balgowan
Brahman Hills Hotel & Spa
Granny Mouse Country House
Arum Hill Lodge B&B
Arum Hill Lodge B&B
#3 of 8 in Balgowan

Been to Woodridge Country Hotel? Share your experiences!