“Not The Best :(”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dwight
Algonquin Trails Camping Resort
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Dwight
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Camped at this property in May of this year. Stayed there with my children. At first glance it looked very nice. Bathrooms very clean etc. For starters I will say that they charge an awful lot of money to camp there considering there is no lake to swim at on their property. All they have is a little indoor pool that wasn't even working properly when we were there.

We hooked our trailer up to what was supposed to be a 30amp site and the breaker kept blowing over and over. Anytime you would ask the owners to help you fix the problem there was nothing but attitude. It felt like they were being put out by asking you to do their job. We have camed at many MANY other campgrounds and have never had that problem.

The owner is contantly driving around watching everyone all the time. It's good to keep an eye on what is happening in your campground but honestly it got a little creepy after awhile and also quite annoying. I can see if they had a bunch of young rowdy people camping they may need to keep a close eye but I mean most of the people there were adults campig with children.

They have a large children's area that looked impressive in the pictures on their website bt when you see it it is a different story entirely. Toys are all dirty and broken and the whole area is infested with earwigs. The earwigs I know may be out of their control but the dirty broken toys sure are not.

They advertise alot of activities on their website that I also didn't see going on. We were camping there with our young kids and honestly the kids were bored to death staying here. We usually camp at places with a beach to play on. Campfire also has to be put out by midnight and make sure it is out by then also otherwise they will pour a bucket of water on it to put it out for you. Saw it happen quite a few times over the long weekend we were there. I would never return to this campground to camp even if it was offered to me for free....just my opinion though :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank ClaudiaJanes
There are newer reviews for Algonquin Trails Camping Resort

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Spent a fantastic relaxing week at Algonquin Trails. The owners/hosts the Jefferies were wonderful. What a beautiful spot. The grounds were immaculately kept and the washrooms spotless. Close to everything you would like to do and see. Minutes from Huntsville, charming shops & restaurants and a beautiful beach. Would highly recommend if you want to enjoy beautiful relaxing grounds and wonderful hosts.
Marlene
Barrie, Ontario

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marlene M
Reviewed July 28, 2012

My family and I stayed very recently for 9 days and we were absolutely delighted with this park.

The Owners were remarkable, we found them to be most personable and very helpful.

This park itself is very beautiful with it's mature trees and the fresh scent of pine wafting in the air. The facilities are spotless.

I have camped since I was a child and this park now rates #1 on my list.

What I now know after our stay is that this is a husband and wife team that work really hard to ensure that everyone who comes has a quiet stay. Being from the city ourselves we absolutely crave peace and quiet and I can honestly say that you will not find a more peaceful place to camp.

Read the rules and decide if they suit you, it's really that simple.

The Owners are not at all rude. Dan has a very dry quick wit about him (some just don't get it I suppose), we found him to be helpful, warm and very personable. Laura is just as sweet as they come. They themselves have small children and their rules exist for the benefit of all. They really care about their park - it's their home after all. The Rules are actually enforced (unlike other parks that we have camped at in the past).

I just do not understand the negatives written here at all. After staying for 9 days and having taken the time to chat with these Owners I know that in my mind I have in fact finally found a very well run camp.

If you want a beautiful spot that is QUIET this is absolutely the place to camp. If you want to blast your music and party into the wee hours of the a.m. choose somewhere else - it's really just that simple!

Any negatives written here are a direct result of not following the park rules, of this I am certain.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked a week’s stay at this site in July and are so pleased we did.
My other half is a seasoned camper, I on the other hand am an absolute novice, and this was my first attempt. From the minute we checked in the owners made us feel welcome.
Our site was spotless as was the entire camp ground.
Showers, bathrooms and pool are kept very clean. The pool is indoor and heated which is a bonus.
They do have a few basic rules, rules which I would call common courtesy to others...............and thank goodness they are willing to enforce them.
We had a couple of young men who decided it would be a good idea to entertain the whole campground with their taste in music one night, at midnight this was a little late, they were promptly asked to turn it down, thank you Dan.
There are lots of activities onsite, simple games which were new to me(I am English and haven’t seen these before) very entertaining.
The owners work there socks off keeping up the standard of this family run ground, so it isn't surprising that the store is closed occasionally. They can always be spotted around the campground within minutes and will happily open up the store so you can get what you need even outside opening hours. What’s more they deliver your firewood and ice to your door!!
Dan has a very dry sense of humour which took me a couple of days to understand but once I did I found him very funny and quick witted. Laura is just a gem and will do everything she can to help you.
We enjoyed our stay so much we extended by 3 days and are now planning on going back in September for another week, as I still live in England this means quite a trek but it is worth every hour of the journey to get there. I took to the camping so well I am told I am now a ‘red neck’ whatever the heck one of those is. lol
To summarise I would say quite simply Algonquin Trails is a little piece of heaven on earth.
Thank you Laura and Dan for making this place so special and maintaining it so well.
Anne and Kim

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne M
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Just wanted to share my camping experience at Algonquin Trails. I camped there this past summer and went with high hopes of having an excellent week camping. On first impression the campground seemed wonderful and I was looking forward to a weekend of fun with my children and spouse. Instead we spent the weekend being ruled by the owner, who constantly drove by in his golf cart enforcing rules and spying on everyone. We were adults camping OUTSIDE with our 3 children...I mean seriously it was a bit much. I have been camping for years and have never been treated the way we were treated at this campground. Part of the fun of camping is having a campfire and staying up late roasting marshmallows, don't count on that happening. The owner will actually pour a bucket of water over your fire if it is not out by the time he chooses to tell you....even if you are being quiet. If you want relaxation and want to enjoy spending time with your family I would seriously pick another campground, there was no relaxing with the sound of a golf cart 24-7, felt like I was camping on the side of the 401 :).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
24  Thank Ontariogirl23
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We have camped at Algonquin Trails quite a bit this past summer and will be coming back next year for the season again. Ideal campground for those seeking a quiet, spotlessly clean camping spot. Friendly owners who work hard to make your visit a truly wonderful experience. The rules are there to ensure everyone enjoys a peaceful, safe vacation. Thanks Laura and Dan. Highly recommended. Frank, Helen and Thelma

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank frank b
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We started coming here last year and come as often as possible. They are ATV friendly and there are endless trails off site. Most of them are snowmobile trails but the people in the area are ok with atv's on them. Dan and Laura are great owners who are very accommodating and friendly. They are strict when it comes to possible problem guests which is what I like best about staying here. I will assume that any negative reviews will be from the trouble makers. They have lots to do on-site and even more to do within minutes of the park. All sites are wooded, private and quiet. Bathrooms are kept very clean. If you want a place to party, then your stay will be very short if you get in at all. We love it here and will continue to spend our summers.

Thanks for another great season guys.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank moir3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dwight
Best Western Plus Muskoka Inn
#4 of 18 in Huntsville
Dwight Village Motel
Dwight Village Motel
#2 of 5 in Dwight

Been to Algonquin Trails Camping Resort? Share your experiences!