“Awesome Algonquin Trails”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dwight
Algonquin Trails Camping Resort
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dwight
London, Canada
“Awesome Algonquin Trails”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked a week’s stay at this site in July and are so pleased we did.
My other half is a seasoned camper, I on the other hand am an absolute novice, and this was my first attempt. From the minute we checked in the owners made us feel welcome.
Our site was spotless as was the entire camp ground.
Showers, bathrooms and pool are kept very clean. The pool is indoor and heated which is a bonus.
They do have a few basic rules, rules which I would call common courtesy to others...............and thank goodness they are willing to enforce them.
We had a couple of young men who decided it would be a good idea to entertain the whole campground with their taste in music one night, at midnight this was a little late, they were promptly asked to turn it down, thank you Dan.
There are lots of activities onsite, simple games which were new to me(I am English and haven’t seen these before) very entertaining.
The owners work there socks off keeping up the standard of this family run ground, so it isn't surprising that the store is closed occasionally. They can always be spotted around the campground within minutes and will happily open up the store so you can get what you need even outside opening hours. What’s more they deliver your firewood and ice to your door!!
Dan has a very dry sense of humour which took me a couple of days to understand but once I did I found him very funny and quick witted. Laura is just a gem and will do everything she can to help you.
We enjoyed our stay so much we extended by 3 days and are now planning on going back in September for another week, as I still live in England this means quite a trek but it is worth every hour of the journey to get there. I took to the camping so well I am told I am now a ‘red neck’ whatever the heck one of those is. lol
To summarise I would say quite simply Algonquin Trails is a little piece of heaven on earth.
Thank you Laura and Dan for making this place so special and maintaining it so well.
Anne and Kim

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anne M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Petawawa On
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Just wanted to share my camping experience at Algonquin Trails. I camped there this past summer and went with high hopes of having an excellent week camping. On first impression the campground seemed wonderful and I was looking forward to a weekend of fun with my children and spouse. Instead we spent the weekend being ruled by the owner, who constantly drove by in his golf cart enforcing rules and spying on everyone. We were adults camping OUTSIDE with our 3 children...I mean seriously it was a bit much. I have been camping for years and have never been treated the way we were treated at this campground. Part of the fun of camping is having a campfire and staying up late roasting marshmallows, don't count on that happening. The owner will actually pour a bucket of water over your fire if it is not out by the time he chooses to tell you....even if you are being quiet. If you want relaxation and want to enjoy spending time with your family I would seriously pick another campground, there was no relaxing with the sound of a golf cart 24-7, felt like I was camping on the side of the 401 :).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
22 Thank Ontariogirl23
Peterborough, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We have camped at Algonquin Trails quite a bit this past summer and will be coming back next year for the season again. Ideal campground for those seeking a quiet, spotlessly clean camping spot. Friendly owners who work hard to make your visit a truly wonderful experience. The rules are there to ensure everyone enjoys a peaceful, safe vacation. Thanks Laura and Dan. Highly recommended. Frank, Helen and Thelma

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank frank b
thorold
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We started coming here last year and come as often as possible. They are ATV friendly and there are endless trails off site. Most of them are snowmobile trails but the people in the area are ok with atv's on them. Dan and Laura are great owners who are very accommodating and friendly. They are strict when it comes to possible problem guests which is what I like best about staying here. I will assume that any negative reviews will be from the trouble makers. They have lots to do on-site and even more to do within minutes of the park. All sites are wooded, private and quiet. Bathrooms are kept very clean. If you want a place to party, then your stay will be very short if you get in at all. We love it here and will continue to spend our summers.

Thanks for another great season guys.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank moir3
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2011

I've been to Algonquin Trails three or four times now, and I'm a bit dismayed by the poor reviews.

The owners, Dan and Laura are fantastic people. If you treat them with respect, you will get fantastic treatment in return. Frankly, I love the fact that they don't tolerate disrespectful campers because I enjoy camping in a quiet family atmosphere.

Also, you have to keep in mind that you are visiting a relatively small, family run establishment. They have to keep an eye on the bottom line to get by. If something isn't cost effective for them to offer, they probably won't offer it. Nor will they have the free time to staff the office and store like it's a 7-11.

On my first visit to the park, we only spent two days there until our reservation in Algonquin Park was freed up. After moving on to Algonquin Park, we wished that we had stayed with Dan and Laura instead! On subsequent trips to the area, we stay at Algonquin Trails, and visit the Park during the day.

I was a brand new RV owner (and new to towing, and more importantly reversing while towing) and Dan took the time to give me some helpful tips and useful advice.

Another refreshing thing about the campground itself is that you don't have a situation where the seasonal campers act superior to the short term visitors. This is a fairly common dynamic at many campgrounds, and it's nice to not have to tolerate it at Algonquin Trails.

I suspect that many of the negative reviews come from people who didn't respect Dan and Laura, or their rules for the campground. Everyone thinks that they are a courteous camper, when in reality, very few are. Some of those people should stay at a campground where the rules are poorly enforced, and they would appreciate the environment at Algonquin Trials a little more. ;-)

In terms of an enjoyable camping experience, I rate Algonquin Trails very highly and I've stayed at multi-million dollar campgrounds like Disney's Fort Wilderness.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Ross S
Rockwood, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Not a bad campsite in the place. Near perfect conditions. Extremely claen bathrooms.The only campground that we will let the kids ride bikes on the roads unattended at 5 years old. They take great care of their customers. If you ignore some pretty basic rules, they will stop you and tell you. If you push them and ignore them and break the same rule again, they will enforce it. They are not shy people, and deal with ----- quite effectively. We've camped there for 4 or 5 years now every July and can't think of a better spot to take our family on summer vacation. They are great with kids and VERY accomodating. Personally, I am glad that the ignorant people, that only think of themselves, are not coming back. Like they say, the owners would prefer quality/safe camping , NOT quantity camping.

Bud & Pepper :)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank Budledge
orillia
Reviewed September 17, 2010

To start off this was my familys first time camping and its was great my kids want to go again soon they told me and they asked if we could go back to the one with the mini golf at it so that tells me they had some kind of fun at this place.Dan and laura were great peoplethe first night we where there we didnt have food and at 8 oclock at night dan opened the store so we could get some food thanks for that.The park was great we played mini golf and went to the driving range and hit some balls and went swimming we got some wood which they brought to our camp site for us and it was nice and quit at night to have a fire and during the day the chipmunks come and visit u.So to say i had a great time there and i will be going back next year or maybe this year again cause we had a great time there.So if u r looking for a nice enjoyable time with your kids this is a place i think u should try out.thanks again to dan&laura see u soon

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank JohnLoriandtheKids
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dwight
Arowhon Pines
Dwight Village Motel
Dwight Village Motel
#2 of 4 in Dwight
Riverside Motel Dwight

Been to Algonquin Trails Camping Resort? Share your experiences!