“Winter Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lamb Inn

“Winter Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous little inn with excellent accommodation. And food and beer superb as well. Also, happy to have your pet dog as well, well worth a trip. Local walks a pleasure too, with great views if local countryside, with Boulton on the Water a leisurely stroll through the fields, dodging the pheasants.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to leave a five star review, I'm delighted you found us to be "a fabulous little inn with excellent accommodation and superb food and beer" this is just what we strive to be. We are dog friendly as they are part of many families and can also enjoy all the local delights, villages and walks the Cotswold's has to offer.
Kind regards
Paul and the Lamb Inn team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Bury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

just spent two lovely nights at this pub, very friendly staff, food superb , we stayed in Millie's House which was fantastic as we took our very well behaved collie Sandy, with us, so we just had to open the door for her to go out. will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: if you have a dog ask for Millie's House.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a five star review and I'm delighted you enjoyed a fantastic little getaway with us. The garden rooms are ideal for dogs as many returning guests comment on. We look forward to welcoming you and Sandy back sometime soon.
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

The outside of the hotel is absolutely beautiful, a typical Cotswold inn, steeped in history. The staff are some of the friendliest and helpful we have ever had. We stayed in the Rissington suite. It was again beautiful with an open fireplace and four poster bed but like some other areas of the inn a little more effort would've given it the wow factor. Curtains hanging off the rail in some places, the lack of privacy curtains and a little more attention to dusting would've made it perfect. Some areas also need a facelift including the restaurant. The food is absolutely fantastic- thank you chef for the best fish and pork belly I think I have ever tasted. Worth a visit.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and you enjoyed "a taste of the Cotswolds". I have passed on your comments to the chef/kitchen team and they are delighted you appreciated all the effort they put into their dishes to deliver "the best fish and pork belly you think you have tasted" just the type of comments we love to read.in a review.
I want to deliver the wow factor in all areas and agree certain parts need a facelift, this has come come down to budgets and I have had to stretch my current refurb plans a little longer than normal. But from 6th January the bar and restaurant areas are having new wooden floors, colour schemes and soft furnishings throughout and room uplifts planned from February 8th. If you plan another visit for next year I'm confident I will be reading a 5 star review from you.
Kind regards
Paul and all at the Lamb
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

I spent weeks on TripAdvisor researching a trip to Somerset, and finally chose to stay here because of the excellent reviews. I was expecting something special, because it has some excellent reviews. But it just did not live up to the expectation. The rooms are small. the decor needs updating, the fittings seem cheap (no DVD player in rooms, shower leaked all over floor). After checking in, we went to the bar to have a drink and read newspapers during the afternoon. The bar was empty, but the staff were at the other end watching TV with the volume turned up and cackling over something endlessly. Not the kind of atmosphere I had expected. They were very aware we were there, but clearly did not think it a problem. We stayed for dinner. The restaurant seemed very 1970s. Fittings were again poor (eg the cutlery felt very cheap). There was what sounded like a cheesy pop-classics DVD on endless loop for audio, and during the dinner we heard it three times. I had a burger, and it felt very heavy and greasy.
Overall, I am not saying this is a bad hotel pub to stay at. These things are not shocking or terrible. But given the reviews I had read, and the price, I was just a little surprised, and even now I simply can't understand why people rave about it. Anyway, that's my tuppence, you make up your own mind.

Room Tip: Choose your room carefully, the pictures can be deceptive.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Apuldram
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
If you spent weeks researching a trip to Somerset why did you choose us in the heart of the Cotswolds based in Gloucestershire? Yes we have some small rooms but this is reflected in the rates you will pay, my Rissington, Windrush, Burford and garden rooms suites offer plenty of room if you had been willing to pay that little bit extra. DVD's? This is the first time a dvd issue has been highlighted in a review or mentioned to me personally and no I will not be installing dvd's as most of our guests prefer to enjoy the delights of the Cotswolds, the atmosphere in our bar areas and great food we create as to sitting in a room watching a dvd.
Their was only one member of staff on duty chatting with locals in the Buttery bar area whilst you were reading your newspapers in the main bar and yes at times mid week in December it will be quiet.
Our cutlery is of a high quality from the "kings" range and our burgers made with rare breed Cotswold beef.
I have a refurb planned for January when the bar and restaurant ares will have a face-lift but challenge you comment on 1970's feel. Most of the original fittings and decor are items relating to the local farming industry dating back hundreds of years. The display in the bar areas relates to a Wellington bomber that crashed in our back garden in October 1943, The rear gunner was the only survivor and the five other crew all sadly lost their lives. I personally believe it is very important to remember and celebrate our history and not let it be forgotten or fade away, too many were sacrificed to give us the lifestyle we enjoy today.
Regards
Taunton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

We would highly recommend this as we had a most enjoyable stay here recently. Very friendly atmosphere, excellent food, very polite and helpful staff and a lovely room that was warm, clean and spacious. The only downside was, we had placed our booking giving plenty of notice to our dietary issues,(allergies to dairy) but these were not covered and our breakfast time issue was dealt with by a member of staff Sharing her own dairy free spread with us. We really appreciated this but 2nd morning, the issue had again been overlooked, which was disappointing as the dairy free spread can be purchased from supermarkets from just over £1. This was a minor blip and we would recommend this inn to our friends

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I'm delighted you "would highly recommend as you had a most enjoyable stay".
My apologies for the issues regarding your dietary requirements Ruth did share her spread on your first morning and an order placed for the following morning but it was not delivered with our fruit, eggs and veg.
We now have an alternative to butter kept in stock for guests with dairy allergies.
Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

I booked three nights for my wife and I at the Lamb Inn and stayed in Millies Garden Suite - It was just PERFECT. We travelled with our faithful collie "Sam" who was made very welcome throughout and enjoyed his stay too !!
Staff were helpful and friendly and Paul went out of the way to ensure my wife was well catered for as a vegetarian - He went specifically to source the essentials which was much appreciated.
Food at the Lamb is of excellent quality and plentiful - there's also a very good selection of beers and wines to accompany the menu.
Our room (Millies) was spacious, comfortable and warm - Four poster bed plus a "lounge" area with comfortable sofa & chair plus widescreen TV when it's needed. There is a well appointed bathroom with large bath and power shower - Some funky lighting in there too but during our visit, it wasn't fully functioning - No big deal as the normal lighting is perfectly adequate but it would have been nice to try !!
Millies is one of two suites away from the main pub restaurant (20-30 metres) - There's a well lit pathway leading to the bottom of the garden where they are situated - For those looking for a bit of extra peace and quiet, I would highly recommend.
Location is excellent for exploring the Cotswolds - Just a short drive in virtually any direction and there's lots to see and do.
We really enjoyed our stay and would certainly consider re-visiting in the future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and to see PERFECT in capitals is just what we like to read. It's no trouble to try to cater for all dietary requirements all our food is freshly prepared so subtle variations to our seasonal menus can be catered for.
We look forward to welcoming you and Sam back sometime soon
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

We had such a great stay there. My wife and I were upgraded on arrival to a really lovely and very clean room. There was a proper pub atmosphere with a darts match going on so it was obviously popular with the locals. We had a lovely meal in the evening and the full English brekky really set us up for the day. Couldn't really find fault even if I wanted to !!!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and that you enjoyed a "wonderful" time whilst staying with us. It is our policy to upgrade whenever possible and I'm please we could do this for you on this occasion.
We have tried to maintain the feeling of a traditional pub and darts is always a great way to promote this. It's always a lively Wednesday night especially when the ladies "lambrusco's" team are playing!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Rissington
Lords of the Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Upper Slaughter
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,032 reviews
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Chester House Hotel
Chester House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bourton-on-the-Water

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!