“Good Service, Bizarre Burgers!”
Review of The Lamb Inn

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Good Service, Bizarre Burgers!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Firstly, can't really fault the service here. Manager seemed extremely friendly and helpful after a minor mishap over the beer and trying their best to accommodate a food intolerance of mine. We came in for lunch over the bank holiday and weren't surprised to find it pretty busy, owing to the pretty village location of this pub, the fact it is a B&B, the time of year and of course the weather. Most diners were sat outside in the garden, we chose to sit in the restaurant area near to the bar. We appreciated it was busy, however, considering we opted for two burgers and chips and a ploughmans for our paty of three, you would expect a quicker serving time than well over 35 minutes. Now for the food-the first thing that we were a little surprised about was the prices. To add on a bit of cheese and bacon to your burger was an extra £3, considering you can get a full bacon sandwich in most cafe's for that this was a little cheeky. The burgers alone were £10+ so for a £14 burger (near enough) including the cheese and bacon) you would expect something pretty spectacular. Disappointingly it wasn't. Both my partner and myself were convinced we must of ordered the childs meal as the burger was absolutely tiny. We tried to account for the fact that sometimes the meat shrinks during cooking due to the loss of fat and water...but the bun was the exact pre planned size, so this made our theory a little redundant. We were expecting to have a decent lunch so we didn't have to cook dinner that evening, just a light supper, but we found ourselves pretty famished again a couple of hours later. In comparison to other items on the plate, the chips swamped the burger in size, bewildering. Some of the "fat chips" were ok, a few were undercooked which is a shame. The salad on the side was ok, that's all we can say about that dish really...just way overpriced and tiny considering. The other member of our party opted for the Ploughmans which at £12 something was a little disappointing given the amount of food on the plate. I understand rising costs for local establishments in business rates and prices of produce etc and I understand the need for us to support our country pubs to keep them going, howevere, there is a limit to what should be decently charged for food and this certainly challenging the barriers of cost versus value. The decor, as mentioned in other reviews is rather tired and needs a revamp. Although in agreement to the owners response to previous reviews, decor is a personal opinion which is fair enough. However, in my opinion the decor could do with an update.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and please find my reply to your comments.
We had a very busy bank holiday weekend one we expect at this time of year and served 500+ freshly prepared meals to the majority of very satisfied customers
We try to look after all diners at The Lamb but those that take the time to phone and book a table will understandably have priority over those that have not. I fully appreciate visitors to the area may like to explore and choose a venue when here but please understand when you walk in at two o'clock on a busy bank holiday weekend a delay may be had. I took your order as I recall you had a high intolerance to onions and you were considering the risotto, I consulted my chefs and they advised that part of the preparation for this dish is to mix the rice with garlic and onions so not suitable for you. Your order was taken and all meals presented within 30 minutes. A time-frame I am happy with during very busy periods
Our 8-10oz char grilled burgers are homemade using 28 day aged rare breed Cotswold beef, Kelmscott bacon from our local farmer, Stanley Leonard Mature Cheddar made in Gloucester, homemade burger relish, triple cooked fat chips and red cabbage coleslaw with fresh seasonal leaves I think represent excellent value at £13 (not £14 you noted) and of such great local quality I doubt your average cafe would not be prepared to pay the higher cost. The only slight change to this dish was the muffin baps my chefs had baked that morning as our local baker at Little Rissington had sold out of his burger buns. I can only assume your party are used to very large meals as the ploughmans we offer has slices of our honey roasted ham, slab of homemade pork & apricot pate, wedge of Stanley Leonard Cheddar, ploughmans pickle, olives, gherkins, celery, apple, fresh leaves and a basket of fresh granary bread.
I appreciate your comments about supporting local country pubs and your understanding of higher costs when using local fresh produce but myself and my chefs feel we deliver excellent value for money.
It's a same you left disappointed but what is so frustrating for me and all my staff is that when asked if you were enjoying your meals you all replied everything was fine. If this is not the case please speak up and I will do all I can to put anything right and make your experience with us a memorable one instead of reading it in a review a week later.
Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Bushey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Let's get the good bits out of the way first! The Lamb Inn is old so it is a wonderfully quirky building. The room was clean, tidy, well appointed and the bed was comfortable, plus parking is easy. Now for the not so good bits; the food is overpriced and poor. I ordered a chicken pie and whilst the pie was very hot and tasty, the mashed potatoes were (at best) luke warm and the cabbage had been boiled to within an inch of its life - and was even colder than the potatoes. My wife's omelette resembled a yellow oil slick on a plate. Heck, a man at the next table even sent his chips back twice! Being primarily a pub and being the only pub in the village, The Lamb Inn would appear to be the social centre of the village, which in itself isn't a problem until, that is, you wish to go to sleep. Whichever room you are in, the noise from the bar is distinctly intrusive which means that one can forget an early night. We found that the noise had abated enough to go to sleep by about 11.45pm on both of the nights we were there. The staff were all very polite in a vacuous kind of way; that is, they'd politely listen to anything you said (even if giving a food order) and give you a polite but "do I really care" type of answer. For example, our daughter arranged for some chocolates, wine and flowers to be put in the room for us. The wine and chocolates were there, but there was no card or message of any sort, so it wasn't until we received an email from our daughter (there is wifi at the Lamb) that we knew anything about it. When we queried this and the absence of the flowers with the manager, we got a polite brush off; albeit some flowers miraculously appeared about a half hour later. One other thing to be aware of, there is no mobile phone signal in the village - none. I'm not sure if this is a blessing or a curse. If you are a pub type person and don't care too much what you eat, then perhaps The Lamb Inn is for you, otherwise save your money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the bar as possible, preferably one in the next village!
1 Thank IDect100
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Ok lets do the facts:
We are a pub with rooms and so at the hub of a great community, I personally locked up on both nights had left by 23:30 very reasonable times for a bank holiday weekend (times are noted on my end of day till readout)
Omelette: We do not have omelette on our menu, you advised your wife is super sensitive to food and has allergies and so requested my chefs to cook a completely dried fried omelette with cheese and mushrooms (no oil, no butter, no seasoning) which they did, not sure how this could resemble an oil slick on a plate as it was cooked through and folded. The gentleman next to you returned his "fat chips" as he preferred the skinnies ones his wife had ordered but forgot to mention this when he placed his order. As a gesture we changed these for him as is our normal practice to do all we can for all of our customers
Wine, chocolate and flowers: Your daughter contacted us and requested these items in the room for your arrival. We advised that the wine and chocolates were not a problem but due to the closure of our local florist she may prefer to organise a bouquet her self. We were not requested to hand write a note as this was to be with the flowers. Your comment "albeit some flowers miraculously appeared about half hour later" WHEN THEY WERE DELIVERED BY THE COMPANY YOUR DAUGHTER HAD ORDERED THEM THROUGH.

Your comment "if you are a pub person and don't care what you eat, then perhaps The Lamb inn is for you" is an unfair comment because your wife could not eat any of the delicious dishes my chefs take great pride in freshly preparing using the best of local produce.

Please have your facts correct when completing any future reviews
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We had seen some positive reviews of The Lamb Inn so were keen to eat here whilst we were staying next door in a cottage in Great Rissington. On our first visit we were unable to get a table for 4 to have dinner so left disappointed.
We returned for lunch later in the week and we were disappointed to say the food was pretty average - we hoped that at £5 each for a ham, cheese or sausage sandwich that they would have been a bit more interesting than your average sandwich shop but to be honest they were just massive doorsteps of bread with not much else. The heat in the dining room was in desparate need of a fan or two as people looked like they were melting over their fish & chips! This seems to be a fairly popular pub but I think thats mainly due to a lack of competition in the surrounding area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
I'm disappointed to read your comments, to mention our sandwiches made with fresh bread from our baker at Little Rissington, our own honey roasted ham or sausages from our local farm producer or cheese locally made at Kingham we cant do much more to use the best of local produce. Perhaps your may be used to the more processed food served at your average sandwich shop
It's a shame you "left disappointed" when we could not look after you on your first visit, perhaps this also has a bearing on your review but I feel we are doing something right as we can cater for upto 90 diners and we were full when you came in.
Wirral
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We always visit The Lamb when we are down in the Cotswolds and called in for a meal. Admittedly, we haven't been there for a few years but we were sad to see it had been modernised as we loved the quirkiness of the old Lamb. It was always good for food and we weren't disappointed by the meal - it was lovely. There was a man - not sure if he was the manager - working very hard to make everyone welcome, as were the rest of the staff. I will visit again when I am next in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I'm delighted I was working hard to make everyone welcome! I'm pleased you enjoyed your meal with us and that you will visit again. I have been at The Lamb for 13 years now and have refurbished several times but always with a view to keep a traditional feel to the bar and restaurant areas. We still have the artifacts from the Wellington bomber that crashed in the garden back in Oct 1943 on display, a prop from the aircraft and several pictures of the Lamb dating back over the years. Books are on display and can be purchased to help raise funds for our chosen charity Guide dogs for the blind. Decor is always a personal opinion but I feel we have a great balance of a traditional country inn with comfortable furnishings and warm friendly enviroment
WEST MIDS
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed in Room 1 for our first year wedding anniversary and paid for the dinner bed and breakfast for 2 nights. We arrived and the building looked very nice, we checked in and were shown to our room. The room was so much smaller than it looked like in the picture, with a view over the car park and a small bathroom with no windows. We did find the room clean and had everything we needed.
The food choice was quite unusual and I found it hard to find 2 different choices for each course over two nights. When we actually paid for the Dinner, bed and breakfast we found that we had paid more for the deal than we would have if we had paid seperately.
The staff were polite and helpfull but conversation seemed to be forced and we never met the owner (that we know of).
Things got worse when on our last day another couple stopping in one of the other rooms told us that they had been into our room earlier in the day, when all of the rooms had their doors left open. They told me that they thought we had already left until they noticed our bags and clothes were still in their. They then went back to their room to find their door also open.
Dont get me wrong I have stopped in much worse, but we paid a lot for 2 nights and expected more and the fact that someone could walk into our room was very worrying.

1 Thank DIANNAM
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and I note your constructive comments. The dinner bed and breakfast rate that you had caters for starters, mains and desserts and represents an approximate overall saving of 30% if you enjoy all three options.
We will always try to cater for all dietary needs and my chefs are happy to offer alternative dishes, With eight starters,nine to ten mains, a specials board and seven desserts using the best of local produce and freshly prepared for you, the majority of guests comment on too much choice.
I have discussed your concerns with my housekeepers. They explained the room doors were open during the recent hot spell to try to encourage fresh air circulation whilst changing the fresh towels and replacing the tea and coffee items. As you mentioned your room overlooks the side of the inn and gets very warm due to direct sunlight from 11am.
Security for our guests is paramount and we have revised this working practice, doors will only be left open when staff are present and servicing a room.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed just one night but really loved it. It has charm, character, but the staff really make this place with their attentiveness. We needed a taxi to get from Great Rissington (which is, it must be noted, in the middle of nowhere) to Stow on the Wold, and two members of the staff offered to drive us there. As Londoners we weren't accustomed to such generosity of spirit. A really great stay, will go there again any time I'm in the Cotswolds. Breakfast was prompt and high quality.

1 Thank Ed M
Thank you for your review and that you enjoyed "a great little get-away". I'm delighted you experienced "such generosity of spirit" living in a rural environment does promote this as at times we all may need a little help. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lamb inn for when you next visit the Cotswolds.
Guernsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We spent a lovely few hours here, we took along our dog too who was made to feel very welcome in the bar and given a bowl of fresh water to drink. The bar filled up quickly with both locals and visitors who required lunch so luckily we had called ahead to reserve our table. When the staff realised that more people were arriving for lunch, they then opened up the dining room to try and accommodate everyone comfortably and look after all of their guests. Our food order was taken promptly and we thoroughly enjoyed the meal, having chicken pie, bacon-cheese burger (the bacon was superb and I wish I had remembered to ask where it came from) and childrens fish and chips which was cooked to perfection! You were all made to feel so very welcome here and I am so glad that we stopped by here on our travels. The Inn is in such a beautiful area and we all highly recommend this Inn not only for its location and charm, but for the food and welcome that everyone gave us. Well done Lamb Inn!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank guernseygal2013
TheLambInndotcom, Owner at The Lamb Inn, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and that you enjoyed "Fabulous food and Great service" during your time with us. We use the very best of local produce and the bacon you enjoyed so much came from our local farm at Kelmscott.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lamb Inn sometime soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Great Rissington
The Slaughters Manor House
The Slaughters Manor House
#2 of 2 in Lower Slaughter
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's Restaurant
Number Four at Stow and Cutler's...
#2 of 8 in Stow-on-the-Wold
Chester House Hotel
Chester House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Bourton-on-the-Water

Been to The Lamb Inn? Share your experiences!