“It lives up to its name”
Review of Shanti Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wolfe Island
Shanti Retreat
Reviewed July 14, 2013

I really needed to get away. Friends had recommended Shanti, and my wife had found out about it independently. She sent me here as a gift. There was peace, beauty, discovery, and connection. The food was outstanding (thank you Lacey and the crew!), the yoga was every bit as meditative and valuable as you'd expect (thank you Darin & Wendy!), and the facilities were top-notch. There's no pressure at any time. Scheduled items (walks, talks, yoga, etc.) are signalled by a bell - leave your watch in the car, along any sense of being at the mercy of time. There's a free use of a far infrared sauna, all kinds of self-propelled watercraft, lots of docks, a water trampoline (!), and a couple of Zen master cats. They even have a little boutique with some snuck-in humour.

Opportunities for improvement: Add to the group introduction time with optional 1-on-1 time to get to know your participants. It's difficult with a group as large as ours was (those who don't want to participate can filter themselves out), but well worth it to form a deeper connection.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Some G

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Last September I was having a conversation with my teen daughter. She was telling me that a presentation at school had introduced her to the concept of mindfulness and some meditation techniques. This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I asked her if she would join me at Shanti for a weekend of yoga and meditation. Maybe I shouldn't have been so surprised when she said yes but, I truly was. It was a fantastic experience for both of us. Some of the things that she talked about after include: the natural setting with the beautiful waterfront and abundance of birds, the quality and variety of the food (she's a committed vegetarian), the accessibility of the yoga and meditation practice, the positive vibe around meals, instruction and social time.
During free time one afternoon we drove to the south west corner of Wolfe Island to Big Sandy Bay. Following in her father's footsteps my daughter loves photography and so - each armed with a camera - we hiked the nature trail to the isolated beach which we had to ourselves to enjoy the sunshine and take pictures.
I have made a routine of taking time off each Fall season to attend Yoga workshops and spiritual lectures at Shanti Retreat. This weekend with my daughter was entirely unique and quite unforgettable.

Room Tip: Lake view rooms are an obvious favourite. But my comments here are entirely personal ... I bring my...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank circle b
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I have only just returned home from my wonderful weekend at Shanti Retreat. This was my first Yoga retreat and I would highly recommend this experience to friends and anyone who is looking for a relaxing getaway. The Yoga sessions with Darin and Wendy were very interesting, educational and thought provoking. The vegetarian menu is out of this world. I am craving the blueberry spelt pancakes just thinking about it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JennyRennie
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have just returned from a weekend retreat at Shanti and am still floating in the bliss . Everyone at Shanti is so kind and competent. Our rooms were clean and comfortable, the food was absolutely delicious and everything ran so smoothly. As the person organizing our retreat, Shanti was so helpful with all details that I was able to enjoy the retreat as much as the other attendees. It really is a beautiful place with an equally beautiful energy. Looking out on the bay while we ate our breakfast each morning was just breathtaking. I really can't say enough to convey how much I enjoyed this weekend.
This was our second weekend retreat with Shanti and we hope to have many more to come.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank M M
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Shanti was my first yoga retreat and I'm so glad that it turned out to be such a positive experience. I had just googled it and went without any prior knowledge or recommendation. I was interested in the workshop for the weekend that I chose (conscious eating) and I just wanted to get away and relax for a couple of days. I was very satisfied with the entire experience. The food was amazing at shanti, prepared with love by the resident holistic nutritionist. It was absolutely delicious, and very healthy and organic. I discovered taste buds I didn't know I had!!! Eating in silence was one of the highlights. Pray we did as a group through yoga and meditation several times a day. Both Wendy and Darin are amazing instructors and I was able to do the poses at my own pace and ability. And finally love! Love your body, love your mind and love your spirit. Love yourself through positive affirmations to live your best life. That was the message for me during the entire weekend. I felt relaxed, rejuvenated, positive and grateful to have had this wonderful experience. On top of everything, I made a couple of friends that I continue to stay in touch with. The accommodation is very good. The place is very clean and well maintained. You have to share rooms if you go alone which is what I did, but it's part of the deal as a retreat. Perhaps a good opportunity to face some fears and come out of our shell :). The house is right on the lake and has lots of beautiful views. I would love to go back in the summer to actually be able to swim and kayak, or simply sit on one of the docks and watch the beautiful sunsets. I can't wait!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank orchid0514
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Shanti Retreat is a wonderful getaway destination. It is a great place to relax, refresh and rejuvenate. To reconnect with the Stillness within.The waterfront setting is delightful. Accommodations, meals, and morning yoga classes were all beyond my expectations. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mike p
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Yoga has taken me to wonderful places and Shanti Retreat is one of the very best of those. Wendy and Darin are the real deal in honestly wanting the best for you in your experience. They have created a safe, calm, serene, beautiful environment in which to retreat from the cares of everyday life.
When you are not on the yoga mat or exploring the natural environment there are more delights: you can admire the retreat centre’s authentic Asia décor; an amazing little shop offers you good books, journals and sparkly treasures; the local town in Wolfe Island is quaint and totally laid-back.
Their instructors, especially Swami Vivekananda Saraswati and his associates from the Agama yoga university in Thailand, are exceptional. They offer deep wisdom and insights into the nature of life and death, dance, joy, health, and well-being. Swami is simply “not to be missed” if you are a seeker. His ability to deliver insights is extraordinary. He weaves yogic, religious, mystical, tantric and esoteric topics into talks that demand that you sit up and listen, and wake up and live.
Annually, I schedule a portion of my “me” time with events taking place at Shanti. Over the years, my husband, daughters and friends have joined me there and we have happy memories of shared time together in yoga sessions, dance classes, workshops and music making. I always feel replenished and revived by my time there.

Room Tip: Rooms come in various types: great if you are booking with friends.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 416CShand

Been to Shanti Retreat? Share your experiences!