“Eat Pray Love at Shanti”
Review of Shanti Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wolfe Island
Shanti Retreat
Ottawa, Canada
“Eat Pray Love at Shanti”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Shanti was my first yoga retreat and I'm so glad that it turned out to be such a positive experience. I had just googled it and went without any prior knowledge or recommendation. I was interested in the workshop for the weekend that I chose (conscious eating) and I just wanted to get away and relax for a couple of days. I was very satisfied with the entire experience. The food was amazing at shanti, prepared with love by the resident holistic nutritionist. It was absolutely delicious, and very healthy and organic. I discovered taste buds I didn't know I had!!! Eating in silence was one of the highlights. Pray we did as a group through yoga and meditation several times a day. Both Wendy and Darin are amazing instructors and I was able to do the poses at my own pace and ability. And finally love! Love your body, love your mind and love your spirit. Love yourself through positive affirmations to live your best life. That was the message for me during the entire weekend. I felt relaxed, rejuvenated, positive and grateful to have had this wonderful experience. On top of everything, I made a couple of friends that I continue to stay in touch with. The accommodation is very good. The place is very clean and well maintained. You have to share rooms if you go alone which is what I did, but it's part of the deal as a retreat. Perhaps a good opportunity to face some fears and come out of our shell :). The house is right on the lake and has lots of beautiful views. I would love to go back in the summer to actually be able to swim and kayak, or simply sit on one of the docks and watch the beautiful sunsets. I can't wait!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank orchid0514

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Shanti Retreat is a wonderful getaway destination. It is a great place to relax, refresh and rejuvenate. To reconnect with the Stillness within.The waterfront setting is delightful. Accommodations, meals, and morning yoga classes were all beyond my expectations. I will definitely be back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mike p
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Yoga has taken me to wonderful places and Shanti Retreat is one of the very best of those. Wendy and Darin are the real deal in honestly wanting the best for you in your experience. They have created a safe, calm, serene, beautiful environment in which to retreat from the cares of everyday life.
When you are not on the yoga mat or exploring the natural environment there are more delights: you can admire the retreat centre’s authentic Asia décor; an amazing little shop offers you good books, journals and sparkly treasures; the local town in Wolfe Island is quaint and totally laid-back.
Their instructors, especially Swami Vivekananda Saraswati and his associates from the Agama yoga university in Thailand, are exceptional. They offer deep wisdom and insights into the nature of life and death, dance, joy, health, and well-being. Swami is simply “not to be missed” if you are a seeker. His ability to deliver insights is extraordinary. He weaves yogic, religious, mystical, tantric and esoteric topics into talks that demand that you sit up and listen, and wake up and live.
Annually, I schedule a portion of my “me” time with events taking place at Shanti. Over the years, my husband, daughters and friends have joined me there and we have happy memories of shared time together in yoga sessions, dance classes, workshops and music making. I always feel replenished and revived by my time there.

Room Tip: Rooms come in various types: great if you are booking with friends.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 416CShand
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been to this retreat at least 15 times (lost count). I go there often to enjoy the serene environment, yoga with amazing teachers, goddess retreats, fantastic vegetarian food, wonderful company and beautiful surroundings. In summer there is the added pleasures of swimming, kayaking, sun bathing, meditation outdoors, relaxing in the hammocks and eating overlooking the picturesque Brown's Bay. In all seasons it is wonderful to walk on the grounds. While doing yoga or relaxing in the yurt you can listen to birds sing, cows moo or the waves coming on shore. Darin and Wendy (the owners) always make you feel welcome and well cared for. Try the infra-red sauna or get a fantastic Thai massage from Darin. I cannot say enough wonderful things about Shanti and plan to continue going there as often as I can.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank yogajanice
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I totally enjoyed the 2 week ends i spent at Shanti yoga retreat. The place is dreamy (by the water with incredible sunsets); the food is fantastic; the rooms on lake side give a feeling of 'being' in the water, which i utterly enjoyed. I loved the speaker, the Swami. He is quite a character (one might have to get passed that), and his knowledge and wisdom when it comes to esoteric subjects go beyond anything i have seen before. I'll return.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
toronto
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Over the last seven years, I have attended over 20 yoga retreats and workshops (including with Swami) at Shanti Retreat, and they have been uplifting, rejuvenating and even life transforming. Shanti imparts and teaches the real essence of yoga, beyond the usual physical aspects taught in most places.
Food is delicious to say the least, accomodations are exceptional, and Wolfe Island is a treasure of a discovery (several kilometer long sand beach that reminds me of Cape Cod, wonderful cycling, and unspoiled natural landscape.) I never hesitate to recommend Shanti to colleagues, friends and acquaintances.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 27, 2012

My partner and I thought the setting and service at Shanti were ok although not so much as to want to return. The ferry ride from Kingston was enjoyable and the flat and featureless terrain of Wolfe Island was worth seeing once. The daily yoga was quite good and the veggie meals were competent and served with pride.
Our problem was that we went to hear Swami Whatsisname speak on the Tibetan art of dying. Having read The Tibetan Art of Living and Dying, we expected to gain some insight in how to handle the eventual loss of family and friends -- how to assist and comfort both the dying and those surrounding them.
Instead we got 12 hours of unilateral, dogmatic and non-empathetic lectures on the technical aspects of the ancient Buddhist beliefs, from a surprisingly ego-driven man in saffron. There was no room for dialogue as he put forward extreme and then even more extreme practices. Is it really true that the dying person can stick a finger in her eye a certain way each day and thereby self-determine her exact day of pending death, with exactly 40 days advance notice? Is it really true that you must not touch let alone move the dead body for exactly 3.5 days notwithstanding decomposition and possible Criminal Code implications? ('Don't tell anyone, and turn up the air conditioning', suggested Swami!). Is it really necessary to completely rule out organ transplants no matter the circumstances? ('Medical nonsense', suggested Swami.)
I must admit that a few students seemed to be into Swami, and many more said they could separate the wheat from the chaff and were glad to be there, but we were affected by what we received as strongly anti-women, swear-word-filled and outrageous messages (I am male).
Overall, a dead loss of a weekend with the ridiculous and offensive aspects far outweighing the pleasant parts.
Btw, on a minor note we could not understand why our hosts and Swami thought nothing of walking all over everyone's personal yoga mats. Never seen that before! Even when we complained, there was nothing more than a mild apology, and the practice continued. I guess we were looking for something Divine and found quite the opposite.

• Stayed October 2012
#10 of 37 in Kingston
The Gananoque Inn and Spa
The Gananoque Inn and Spa
#3 of 11 in Gananoque

Been to Shanti Retreat? Share your experiences!