“Really lovey relaxed lunch in fab surroundings”
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Churchill
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: In the picture perfect village of Churchill, The Chequers is everything a traditional pub should be with its pretty Cotswold stone exterior and a muddy landrover outside. Except, step inside this pub and you'll find something much more intriguing. A heady mix of the old and new. Expect modern cocktails to sit alongside local ales, and a menu that is packed with seasonally inspired dishes.Enjoy locally brewed beer propped at our bar with friends and family, or rustic dishes in our restaurant using the very best British ingredients in some well-loved classics like our Twice Baked Cheddar Soufflé, Bobby Battered Market Fish and our unmissable steaks cooked to perfection in Josper ovens.
Hook Norton, United Kingdom
“Really lovey relaxed lunch in fab surroundings”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Really enjoyed first visit to The chequers in churchill will defo return. Great customer service, open fire, fab food, fave was defo the after dinner tea selection in lovely glass teapots with fresh mint tea.

Visited January 2014

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Still no improvement”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I thought I would give this a 2nd chance to be fair, as there is not much choice in the area for restaurants.

Kept waiting again to be seated, and no apologies, and when we were seated, we waited for ages, only to be served cold food. The staff did seem friendly, but not in any particular hurry.

The Soufle, which I think they describe as 'twice baked'; otherwise know as reheated left overs was stale.

Other customers were also not happy at the delays, and sloppy service. (I don't like someone leaning right in my face and over my food) - some Silver service training is in order!

As long as you are happy to be served at different tiomes from those on your table, then go ahead. Don't wait to start eating, your colleagues dish may be another ten minutes! Also don't be scared to keep reminding them that you have ordered, or they may forget!

I don't think I will bother again here, as I expect more for these prices, in the way of service, food innovation and quality.

Also, sack your cleaner! the toilets were grotty!

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Madeinengland1968
London, United Kingdom
“Great food but rather pricey”
Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely evening at this pub restaurant. It was a busy pre-christmas evening but we managed to reserve a table with only a few hrs notice.
There was a great menu for food and drink and we both much enjoyed our dinner. Staff were friendly and helpful.
My one reservation was the cost. To give an indication my main course alone was £22 and a glass of wine was £10 so bring your savings if you are planning a long night here.
Worth it if you can afford it though.

2 Thank Huge1
Glos
“Christmas bah humbug!!”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

My friend and I went to the Chequers at Churchill for our Christmas meal.We had reserved a table for the Christmas menu only to be told that the Christmas menu was only pre bookable for larger parties not just for two people. What a let down.
Not only that but I had the one and only vegetarian hot main course which consisted of two baby parsnips,3 cubes of soggy butternut squash and 4 cubes of beetroot on a bed of bland puree.all for the princely sum of £12. Ok I complained and I did get a free pud but the main course was an absolute rip off. Will we be going to the Chequers again??? NO NO NO

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank LynPGlos
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fun but unimaginative menu”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

The Chequers is a good place for a family get together, Christmas party or a night out with friends. The staff are friendly and welcoming and the atmosphere convivial and warm.

The food is also quite good but not exceptional and, having been there now three times, I am getting a bit bored with the menu which doesn't appear to change much. There is unquestionably a time and a place for this sort of restaurant but a bit more menu variation wouldn't go amiss.

Overall though it's good fun and definitely worth a visit.

• Visited November 2013