“Happy customers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Chequers

The Chequers
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chequers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Churchill
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Happy customers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Assumpta, the previous owners did such a good job it was a hard act to follow, but all concerns were put to rest. I booked a table last minuet to take my mother out for lunch. The refurbished chequers looked great & the atmosphere was good. But more importantly The food was excellent. I would have no reservations in recommending it to all friends & family.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars

oxford
“Tricky mix”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Having eaten at the "old" Chequers many times and read the reviews before going to the "new" pub I felt we were well prepared for our visit. The place is certainly more funky in a shabby chic style, but no one greats you.... and you have to be in charge of your own visit. We went straight up to the bar asked for a table and took our drinks to the fire side.

The chair I sat on was " antique" as is most of the furniture and fell to bits when I leaned back."Oh, I knew that was broken" said the young man I reported it to...... er yeah and just a good job no harm was done.As the fire was on the critical list I put some logs on.... I hate it when a fire goes out in a pub on a cold day with snow knee deep outside.
Our drinks were fine, and the menu tempting so I had rump steak, Stilton bernaise and chips followed by chocolate pot and cream with a pudding wine, my fella had the chicken pie and shared the pud.
The food was really great.... but the girl that served us was so timid it was unreal. At one point she came towards our table, saw the people next to us also wanted her and she actually turned round and fled leaving us and the couple next to us open mouthed.

The reason people are writing so much about this place is they all want it to be good, as do I because we all loved Assumpta and the old set up.
The new food and ambiance is great and I enjoyed it.
But please someone sort out the staff, because its not cool to have shoddy service, terrified waitresses and fires going out in the grate

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank jmgOxford
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Changed hands!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The Chequers in Churchill sadly no longer has the wonderful Assumpta and her team welcoming everyone who crosses the threshold. It has been given a bistro makeover supposedly and had different clientele when we visited. Not local customers and it would seem that the new owners are trying to make it another Plough at Kingham and attract the Jeremy Clarkson/Amanda Holden set and charging accordingly. Well, good luck to them. Nondescript service from disinterested staff. Poor show all round. Atmosphere gone and if this is what so called celebrities want then they have got it right!

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank truthful73
Witney, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We have been to the other 2 establishments owned by the people by who have taken over the Chequers..
The menu was unusual having such dishes as devilled kidneys and oxtail, which went well with our group of 6.
Food was excellent and service was pretty good. Thr restaurant was full which made it a bit noisy, not helped by us.
Good wine and beer available.
Only downside was people outside the door to the car park smoking, so we had to walk through their cigarette smoke, not ideal

• Visited December 2012
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic pub, superb food & ambience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

Reasonable prices. Cheese soufflé is heaven. Good selection of wines and friendly service. A fantastic new arrival for the area. Worth a 20 minute drive to get there.