“Great location, good value but poor management”
Review of Sauraha Resort

Sauraha Resort
Ranked #23 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Sauraha
“Great location, good value but poor management”
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We stayed two nights at Sauraha Resort and the location was perfect - right in the centre of the few shops that Chitwan has to offer and less than a 2 minute walk to the riverside. We were quoted 400 Rupees per night for 3 people in one room being 2 single beds and a mattress with ensuite bathroom. The room and bathroom were clean with hot water but no mosquito nets (which would have been amazing). The surroundings within the resort are beautiful with lots of trees and a really nice outdoor sitting area. There was wifi throughout the resort but rarely worked and the connection was quite terrible.

Our purpose of visiting Chitwan was for the safari and the managers at Sauraha (two brothers) were able arrange a great schedule that suited us perfectly. In the end we organised 2 nights accommodation, 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 1 dinner and a full day of activities including: Elephant safari & elephant bathing, canoeing, 1/2 day jungle trek, cultural dance and a visit to the elephant breeding centre - all for 4750 Ruppees each, which we thought was very good value as when we looked around at other places they seemed to be far more expensive and excluded food and accommodation.

The day of activities was fantastic, except it was managed quite poorly with us having to navigate our own way from the elephant safari to the elephant bathing as our navigator was no where to be found and then we were accused of not paying for the bathing because supposedly our package didn't include it and we clearly agreed it did! The guide we were given for our Jungle trek however was fantastic! Bali (the guide) has 17 years experience and was very entertaining and awesome fun to trek with.

Regarding our food, we had no choice over our meals until I conveniently read the other TripAdvisor review for this resort and found out that there is a specific menu for safari package groups at Sauraha that the managers had just conveniently not told us about, as we were given Dal Baht for lunch, which happens to be the cheapest for them to provide. After reading the review I asked about choosing our own food for dinner and from then on it was no problem.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at Sauraha and if we went back to Chitwan we probably would stay there again. The safari package we organised was good value and would recommend people to book their safari's through them - just be sure to ask for meal choice and ensure you have a written down schedule with everything your package includes! They also recommended us a hotel in Lumbini where we were heading next and now I can safely say it was a terrible recommendation. In the end we are happy with Sauraha's efforts. Thanks.

Room Tip: If your budget allows for it, choose a room that has mosquito nets
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed here as part of a safari package booked from Kathmandu. On first impressions this was a nice little spot. The rooms were clean enough and warm shower.
Unfortunately the owner did not do the place any favours. The first night was good as myself and and English guy were able to join a larger polish group for traditional food but after they left it seemed that he wasn't so interested if you were solo travellers.
He tried to rip me off claiming I had to pay more for the jeep safari which I was told when I booked was included. When I spoke to the other guest he had booked the same package and had his included. So beware they will try it on.
Later the other guy decided to stay another night. At lunch the next day I was eating mine, when the manager told john his wasn't included now. We were both of full board packages. There had obviously been a misunderstanding but the manager proceeded to try and argue his point as I ate rather than resolve it. I wad sat eating my lunch and it was rather uncomfortable. John could see this but the manager just kept going.
later we tried to explain about customer service and sights like this but the manager was ignorant to reputation and the fact as a traveller we pass on our positive and negative experience. Also on the last day the manager informed us we could have chosen our meal each day from a menu he had never show us so we had just been eating the slop put in front of us. They young lad who showed me the sights and looked after me wad really sweet, only regret wad the morning I left he had been sent out and I could not tip him, I didn't trust the manager to pass on the money.
I actually had a very enjoyable time in chitwan, but the manager has a lot to learn

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank clare f
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sauraha
Hotel Parkside
#16 of 33 in Sauraha
Chitwan Gaida Lodge
Chitwan Gaida Lodge
#5 of 33 in Sauraha

Been to Sauraha Resort? Share your experiences!