“Great place very strategic”

Jungle Safari Lodge
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Sauraha
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We stayed here under their 4 day 3 night safari package where we explored the wild via jeep, elephant, canoe and by foot. Lodging here was very comfortable. Hot water with good water pressure, nice wide beds and a big veranda to soak up the sun. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Can't really complain much about anything here. The food is a standard fair of 'foreigner-friendly' Nepali buffet for lunch and dinner and continental breakfast everyday. We needed a change of menu after awhile and decided to eat out on the last day but otherwise it was a great place to stay with shops right outside and privately-owned elephants trumpeting right next door.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
junglesafarilodge, Director of Sales at Jungle Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Dear weiyeinleong
Thank you so much for your kind review! We are glad that you enjoyed the amenities and service provided by our staff. We appreciate the feedback and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Chitwan National Park.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I spent 2 nights in the Jungle Safari Lodge during the Tihar festival in Nepal and as a single woman traveller of mature years I could not have been better cared for. Argun the lovely manager collected me from the bus park and showed me to my room (Kingfisher 2).It was large and clean with a large and very clean bathroom also. The food was good and as there were many Indian guests staying for the Tihar festival I was given a choice from the main menu at lunch and dinner.All the staff I met could not have been more helpful or friendly !!
The activities planned were very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed all the activities. The elephant safari was probably the most interesting as we passed very close to a group of one horned rhinos ,2 large deers and several spotted deers. As we crossed the river we also passed very close to a huge crocodile basking in the early morning sun.
Just loved the elephant bathing ... they seem to really enjoy it and it is great to get right up close to these lovely creatures.
The jungle walk with my guide was good as he spoke quite good English and pointed out a lot interesting birds, plants, trees and we saw a large male rhino come out of the undergrowth and go into the water to wallow. On the return we visited the elephant breeding centre and the baby elephants were so cute running around the enclosure and playing.

On my arrival I had told Argun that back was sore from the uncomfortable high back seat I was booked on the bus from Kathmandu and that I needed a ticket booked for the bus to Pokhara in 2 days time.( For anyone travelling in Nepal by bus, try to avoid the back seat as they are very high and as a lot of local people seem to get motion sickness and need to have the windows open so the back seat also gets very cold !!!) He said he would book one near to the front and sure enough on my return to the bus park I had the very front seat just behind the driver !! Now I call that service.

I will be returning to the Jungle Safari lodge again if I am In Sauraha and would have no hesitation in recommending it to my friends !!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Dear aallen2
Thank you for your positive feedback!! Wow, glad we could make your stay a memorable one. I will relay your positive remarks to the arjun. We look forward to seeing you again soon!!

Regards,
Director of Sales

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Good impression from arrived hall;) Great location to attraction/ sunset. Old big room with ok cleanliness IF u dont expect high;) Good staff & management team. Food quality in the restaurant was average only....almost similar & less chioce if u choose meal package;( Overall was fine;)

Room Tip: Dont expect high If u choose this hotel. Anyway, overall still fine;)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dyss55

Dear dyss55,
Thank you so much for the wonderful comments about your stay! We are so glad we can continue to exceed your expectations especially in food. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!!

Regards
Director of Sales

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Spent 2 nights here at this rather clean, and well kept place. We were first given a room in a wing where some work was going on but then after a request we were given a room at a quiter place. the room was decent, basic and perhpas not of an international standard but we were looking for a place to have a hot shower and to sleep .. which suited us. the place is quite centrally located to the river so an evening walk was great. also a lot of shops and resturants just outside the gate but was not too sure of the food. the food in the resort was just about average. was not sure who they were catering to as it was neither nepali nor oriental nor european. We were not expecting the place to be like the lodges and resorts we stayed in while on our Kenya trip so we were not that disappointed. The major plus was the 24 current and the wifi. so all in all a great place to stay in.

Room Tip: there is some reservation going on to do check which room they are giving you. there is a netted doo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear dd_m29
Wow! Thank you for your positive comments about our guest rooms and the service provided by our staff. It is always nice to hear such wonderful feedback. We have already started to provide either European or indian food at one time. We are not going to mix up the dishes any more. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!!

Regards,
Suman Ghimire,Director of Sales

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I wanted to spend only a day and a half in Chitwan. I sent e-mails out to about a dozen of the hotels in Chitwan and got their standard package of activities, except Hotel Jungle Lodge--they read and understood my requested activities (birdwatch first thing, breakfast, elephant ride, lunch and see the elephants bathing in the river, river tour, jungle tour, elephant camp, dinner). They made it all happen for the standard pricing--about $200. No hassles, just got a great amount of things handled.

All the hotels have the same activities available to them and the activities are all going at various times of the day. It's simply a matter of working with the customer to accommodate them with the schedule.

The food is served buffet style and is fine. The restaurant manager is a character and he is pretty indulgent if you have some special requests.

They've got wireless internet in the lobby.

Hotel Jungle Lodge is a good, solid choice.

Room Tip: I'd go for upstairs rooms so you don't have to listen to footsteps overhead.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs so nobody is walking overhead
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank travel-junkie3PO

Dear travel-junkie3PO;
We are happy to hear the good news that you loved the way we understood your requirements and we were able to make your stay with us memorable one!! Thank you for your candid feedback.

Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Amazing friendly staff, the best place I stayed in Nepal. Located right in the centre, room are spacious, very clean and have everything you need.

Staff happy to book you tours and generally look after you from start to finish.

Food is very good by Nepal standard so no need to eat anywhere else.

• Stayed: October 2012
junglesafarilodge, Director of Sales at Jungle Safari Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear MattBean,Thank you for your 5 star review! I am pleased to hear that you found all of our staff to be helpful and contributed to making your stay a memorable and enjoyable experience. I’m glad we met all of your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Chitwan.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Jungle Safari Lodge for 3 nights. Our tour was booked by Mosaic Adventures in Kathmandu. We paid US $210 for the 3 nights in Chitwan. A staff member from Jungle Safari Lodge was at the tourist bus station when we arrived from Kathmandu. The hotel is a short drive from the bus station. Once we arrived at the hotel we were shown to our room and asked if we had any dietary preferences for our lunch. We told them that we are mostly vegetarian, but also eat seafood and chicken. We arrived late so we missed the buffet lunch. They cooked us a delicious lunch of veggies and a piece of chicken. After lunch a guide took us on a short village tour, to the army elephant center, the park's visitor center, a short walk through the park, and showed us a nice place to watch the sunset. Later in the evening we went to the culture show. The auditorium where the show took place was packed full of tourists and hot. The show lasted about 45 minutes and was entertaining.

The second day consisted of an elephant ride that lasted a couple of hours. Our elephant walked alongside another elephant for the duration of the time. We saw some deer and birds, but no rhino while on the elephant. I recommend wearing pants during the elephant ride since the elephant will brush against trees and branches. After the elephant ride we watched the elephant bathing. We opted not to ride the elephant while bathing. It was entertaining enough to watch the other tourists get wet and fall off the elephants into the water. In the afternoon we took a 4 hour jeep ride in the park. Chitwan is such a beautiful place. The vegetation was very dense and lush making it difficult to spot many animals. I am impressed at how tall the elephant grass grows. Half way through the tour we stopped at the Gharial breeding center in the park. They are breeding Gharials in a safe environment and release them into the wild when they are large enough. After seeing a few birds, a wild pig, and some deer we finally saw 1 female rhino after driving around the park for 3.5 hours. She was huge!!! She stared at us for a couple of minutes before running across the road and into the bushes.

The third day was an early start with the canoe ride which lasted about 45 minute followed by a bird watching walk. We saw 1 marsh mugger during the canoe ride and lots of birds. We spent the rest of the morning shopping in the small town. If you want to buy a one-horned rhino carving, this is the place! In the afternoon, we took a jungle walk and saw 2 rhinos, a mom and a 5 year old baby, in the distance. We watched them for a while before walking to the elephant breeding center. According to our guide, the elephants that are bred there are used by the government and army to patrol the park for poachers. Later in the evening, my husband discovered that he had a leech on him. We saw a few leeches during the jungle walk and figured one crawled onto to him them. He didn't find the leech until it let go after sucking lots of blood. He bled for more than two days after the leech dropped off of him. We made good use of our first aid kit during this time! For this jungle activity, I also recommend wearing pants and bug spray to keep the leeches off.

Ram, our guide for the jeep tour and canoe ride, was fabulous. He spoke English well and knew a lot about the wildlife there. He said that he has seen 12 tigers in the past 8 years that he has worked as a guide. Don't expect to see a tiger in Chitwan. If you do, you are very fortunate. The guide for our jungle walk didn't speak English well so we weren't able to communicate much with him.

The staff at the Jungle Safari Lodge was fantastic. All employees that we had contact with were friendly, extremely helpful, and welcoming. Most employees spoke English well. The food in the restaurant was quite good. We have no complaints.

The room that we stayed in was basic, but fairly clean. It was also musty and smoky smelling. Smoking is not allowed in the rooms, but we figured out where the smoke smell was coming from. We stayed in a room on the bottom floor in the far corner of the hotel. If I remember correctly, it was in the Kingfisher building and room #2. It was next to a stable where elephants are kept. During the day, someone at the elephant stable would burn old straw/plant material and most likely elephant dung. Some of the smoke ended up in our room. All of our belongings smelled like smoke by the time we left the hotel. They are doing construction at the hotel. It looks like they are either building or remodeling rooms. Once completed, I think that these rooms will be better than the room that we stayed in.

Overall, we loved the tours that the hotel offered in Chitwan and the staff. They were fabulous. I give the tours and staff 5 stars. As mentioned before the room was very basic and an upgrade to the rooms are needed. 3 stars for the rooms.

If we visit Chitwan again, we will definitely consider staying at Jungle Safari Lodge and will request one of the newly built/remodeled rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear worldtraveller2801, Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and other travelers .Thank you for your 4 star reviews with 5 Stars rating for the tours and staffs. I am pleased to hear that you found Ram and other staff to be helpful and contributed to making your stay a memorable and enjoyable experience. I am also pleased to hear that your room was kept clean however I would like to resolve the problem with the smoke from the burning next to our Kingfisher House which you have mentioned here. We’re working on bringing new 15 deluxe rooms by end of November which will definitely meet your expectation. I’m glad that we were able to redeem your trust during your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Kind Regards
Suman Ghimire

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sauraha
Hotel Parkside
#1 of 8 in Chitwan National Park
Royal Park Hotel
Royal Park Hotel
#3 of 12 in Sauraha

Been to Jungle Safari Lodge? Share your experiences!