“Very nice resort...if you're looking to stay in a Southwest/Native themed property”

Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
ABQ
Reviewed September 5, 2010

A beautiful property set along the Cottonwoods that flank the Rio Grande river, the Hyatt Tamaya resort has several things going for it that travelers (or new transplants) to the southwest will really enjoy: it's remote-ish, quiet, new, and really exceptional service. For an quiet anniversary away from the daily routine the endless to-do list, it's very nice, but on the pricey side. There were two weddings/rehearsals being held on site during our stay, and unlike other properties I've stayed at, you couldn't really tell there were lots of extra people or commotion due to the events...that's a plus. A pool for the adults with a high wall to keep the wind/noise out, another for the kids that includes a slide (and dive-in movies on the weekends! Brilliant, but you'll smell like chlorine for a day or so afterward.) Several restaurants on site, but for the occasion, we chose the Corn Maiden. Expect to drop ~ $50/person...for a fantastic meal that we were happy to pay for. Nothing outlandish or weird, just really good food. The Better Half declares hers the "best steak ever" - high praise from a carnivore! Complementary champagne for the anniversary, but be prepared to answer some some hard math questions (how many years? Let's see, carry the five, divide by number of kids...) Our room faced the mountains, which is nice even if you do live here. A little patio with table and chairs for morning coffee and paper-skimming. Extremely attentive staff - even had a Sunday paper brought up to me in the Regency Club me when I accidentally tried to make off with someone else's. Regency club gets you breakfast, desserts, etc., so if you need to snack a lot and $10 for chips and guac sounds like too much, than go for it. Look for coupon codes online, we saved 25% and made it more affordable. Never even got near the spa or golf course, keep reading for those answers.

The short version: Great stay if you're willing to spurge a little.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank agb_abq

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed here for four nights in a suite with two teenage boys. The rooms were very comfortable. Staff was helpful and friendly. I used the spa facility -- very pleasant. My only complaint was that the breakfast service in the cafe was very slow. The only reason we kept eating there was because it was part of our room rate. Suggest you explore the restaurants in the town for other meals. We especially enjoyed The Range Cafe.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
Reviewed August 3, 2010

My wife and went on a golf getway at the Tamaya and we were not dissapointed. Very nice hotel and excellent breakfast included in price. Stayed on the 3 for free package, stayed six nights and two free. Check for these deals about six months in advance. The smell of the cedar in the hotel was amazing. Only compliant was the 60 mile an hour winds of early Spring does not support low golf scores. Stay and relax!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 25, 2010

When we pass by Albuquerque, we usually stay at the Tamaya; we have stayed at the Tamaya 2-3 times every year since they've opened in 2001. Over the years, they've tried to describe themselves as a luxury resort with ample activities and luscious accommodations. I'd like to say they're an okay resort with some activities and adequate accommodations.

With their location in the Santa Ana Reservation outside of Bernalillo, the resort is prime for a trip to either Santa Fe or Albuquerque. Add on top of that beautiful views of the Sandia Mountains and the ample trails around, it's a great location. That's perhaps the only luxurious part of this resort. The great room is great, the trails as well, but everything else in the resort lacks that awe factor you'd see elsewhere. Food and drinks at any of the restaurants are good at best, although the complimentary cold flavored-waters are nice. The patio is not cared for too well, with bird droppings found on all of the chairs and tables; I'm all for connecting with nature, but I don't want to sit on it or have it in my food. Activities outside of golf and horse-related things are lack-luster and usually filled to the brim with small kids. The pools are good, not great, because usually around this time it's monsoon season, meaning it's either raining or too cool, leaving only the kids to play around. (So if you have smaller kids, they'd feel right at home.) Note to parents: if you do have small kids, please don't let them run amok on the resort property as there are other guests who'd like to enjoy the resort as well.

As far as the staff is concerned, everyone is cordial, always saying hello when you pass by, and they are also very attentive. However, there are some staff (i.e. Sarah at the Front Desk) who act as if it's an inconvenience to attend to the guests. Also, at the spa while perusing their merchandise (of which they have limited knowledge), they talked about their clients as they left the room, also counting down the minutes to closing like it was a low point to work there. Is that the same for the rest of the resort? I don't know, but I wonder. The rooms are okay with a good options of views, including that of the mountains, pools, or desert; however, it's hard to find a room that does not in some part see the parking lot or something equivalent. They're clean enough and roomy, with a adequate air conditioner (the heating function is a little funky, though). The beds are a chiropractors' dream. Don't drink the $5 waters, because they're usually old or expired since no one wants to drink them and housekeeping doesn't change them. Speaking of housekeeping, they seem to take more care to fold the toiler paper in the bathroom than to clean the bird feces on the balconies or remove hornets' nests.

My only real concern - outside of not truly reaching the luxury they convey - are the pets on the property. I have no problems with pets, but with any family, there's always a concern for allergies. I called at an earlier visit to ask what their policy is regarding pets and they responded that they are only allowed on the first (bottom) floor to allow easy access to outside. However, I have seen on three occasions that they were on the 4th (top) floor, including inside the regency club room (the extra you pay for light appetizers and breakfast). Especially with big dogs whose tails brush by the food on the tables, it's a health hazard at the least, if not a health code violation for those who paid that extra money. I don't appreciate having appetizers with an oversized canine drooling and shedding next to me as I try to enjoy my food.

Also, how would these pets reach the top floor? I doubt they use the steps, so the elevators are also areas of concern, since I personally have caught ringworm on my arm at one point after staying at the resort. There should be more attention paid to this concern, because all of these dogs that I have seen are not service dogs and not exactly the epitome of a well-groomed animal. Maybe an idea for the resort (since they seem to cater to these guests) would be to offer an onsite kennel to allow the guests to travel with their pets while keeping all guests safe from allergies or disease. At the very least, they need to warn the guests about this hazard of pets inside the hotel, because my family and I would not like to sleep in the same mattress as a dog who stayed before me.

Overall, this resort is a good enough establishment that doesn't quite meet it's bill of luxury, be it from their staff, their rooms, their activities, or whatever else. It's just plainly a Hyatt to me and my family, where it's nothing special but nothing too bad. It isn't anything more.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank Soujourner7
Maryland
Reviewed June 23, 2010

I can't wait to return to this desert gem! Brunch in the hotel restaurant was excellent. The room with the view of the mountains was eprfect. Service was simply wonderful! I will be a repeat guest at this place!

• Stayed June 2010
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed at Tamaya Resort and Spa for 2 nights in late-May 2010. Our flight arrived in Albuquerque after 10 pm, but the drive from the airport to the resort was less than 30 minutes. I was a little skeptical about the quality of the resort based on the surrounding area once you exit the freeway (strip malls and casinos), but you drive a few miles off the main drag and the secluded desert vibe I was hoping for does emerge. Check-in was easy and I opted to upgrade from a standard King room to the deluxe Balcony King room...which was well worth the extra $9 per night. The room (#4247) was spacious and comfortable. The beds were very comfy and there was no ambient noise from the other rooms or hallway. The next morning, we ordered in-room breakfast, which was delicious, although one breakfast burrito could easily feed two people. Having breakfast on our balcony was fantastic and a great way to start the day...which is why the upgrade to the full balcony room is well worth the extra money. It wasn't very busy on the days we were there, so lounging by the pool was very pleasant. The water slide and basketball hoop at the pool were really fun...especially since there weren't many kids. The "adult" pool was also very nice. There are posted "quiet area" signs in this pool and a high surrounding wall that blocked the wind and any excess noise. We did not eat in any of the restaurants while we were there...we had meals either poolside or in-room. We did stop in the Rio Grande Lounge for a couple drinks which had a very nice atmosphere and pretty good service. If you stay at Tamaya, make time to visit the Tamaya Mist Spa. I scheduled a manicure and my boyfriend scheduled the rocks massage. The manicure was so-so, but the rest of the spa was well worth the visit. In the locker rooms, there is an amazing soaking pool and saunas (dry and steam). The locker rooms also provide all amenities for a relaxing shower. My boyfriend thought the massage was excellent, so I'm sure many of the spa services are worth the time/money.
I do agree that the hotel is a little difficult to navigate. Depending on where your room is you may have to walk a fair amount. But it was nice to stroll around a bit as the decor was pleasant. And like most all resorts, the costs add up for in-room service. But if you go into this experience with the understanding that you will have to spend a little more than the listed price for service fees and daily resort fees, it is completely enjoyable. Should I find myself back in the Albuquerque area I will definitely stay at Tamaya Resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank catarra
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed June 15, 2010

We visit the Hyatt Regency Tamaya at least once a year, usually as a long weekend getaway. The fact that the resort is isolated is part of its attractiveness; guests are completely removed from the hubbub and noise of the city, completely able to relax and rejuvenate. The spa is one of the best I've visited, with superior facilities and staff. The rooms are appropriately and tastefully decorated and are in keeping with the tradition of the pueblo on which the hotel is located. The golf course is top-notch, but we have not eaten in any of the restaurants due to the proximity to other great restaurants in Bernalillo or Albuquerque. Tamaya is a wonder.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
#28 of 144 in Albuquerque
Sandia Resort & Casino
#39 of 144 in Albuquerque

Been to Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!