“OK, but I've stayed at better Hyatt Resorts”

Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Albuquerque
“OK, but I've stayed at better Hyatt Resorts”
Reviewed August 30, 2009

My wife and I spent two nights here as part of our wedding anniversary trip this year. The resort is much like the other Hyatt resorts that I have stayed at. This one focuses on the Pueblo culture for décor and architecture. The room was nice and clean, and we had a private balcony with table and two chairs looking out at the Sandia Mountains. The bell staff and concierge staff was helpful and courteous.
We were disappointed because the primo restaurant, the Corn Maiden. is only open on weekends and not the Monday/Tuesday we were there. We did eat one night at their other restaurant and the food was good and the wait staff helpful and attentive. My wife had a massage at the spa and enjoyed it. She also took a short hike on their well marked hiking trail.
We didn’t see many people there and never had to wait for anything. Based on conversations with the staff, the business there is down due to the economy. However, they put on a good front and are soldiering on.
Overall, there are not that many things to do there compared to some of the Hyatt Resorts, but if a nice quiet getaway is your goal it is more than adequate for that. My wife thought the hotel was “dark” in its ambiance, but it didn’t seem that way to me -- just a typical Hyatt Resort.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 25, 2009

After a week of hiking and eating beef jerky in Utah, the resort was a great place to feel pampered. Highly recommend eating at the chef's counter in Corn Maiden. Corn Maiden staff was very accomodating to sharing entrees and just eating appetizers as we did on 2 nights. Location is great for quick trips to Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Frig in the room was nice for storing your own beer as the resort prices on beverages was high, as expected. Walking path to the Rio Grande was nice. Service on the patio can be spotty, but the view is excellent.

1 Thank squeke
Chevy Chase MD
Reviewed August 16, 2009

From the moment we pulled up to the hotel "Gus" swiftly opened my car door and warmly welcomed us to the Hyatt Tamaya! We had lovely drinks on the terrace/bar upstairs looking over the Sandia Mountains, then dined at the casual Santa Ana cafe downstairs, and decided that the food there was so amazing, we ate there two nights in a row. Our room was lovely with yet another great view. I had the most indulgent massage and body scrub from Lori at the spa, and enjoyed the private court yard jacuzzi afterwards. I have been to many resort spas and frequently been disappointed - the Hyatt Tamaya surpassed every expectation I had. We will return.

1 Thank cecerecr
phoenix arizona
Reviewed August 5, 2009

While this resort has beautiful grounds- the rooms, dining, pools and facilities overall are way below average for the price. We recently stayed in another Hyatt resort in Scottsdale Az so my expectations were high and I was disappointed. The good- the beautiful landscaping, grounds, and golf course. The bad- the rooms were very average- outdated and not too clean. Stained carpet throughout the resort interior, dark and dingy, The pools were very dirty and slimy, and the Santa Ana cafe was a nightmare- below average food and terrible service. I would have rated this overall a 2 but it is beautiful outside and the golf course is terrific. I would recommend staying down the road at the Sandia resort and playing golf here. This is way too expensive for what you get- skip it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rawtravel
Faringdon, UK
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We arrived after a long trip from Durango, Co and having travelled around the 4 Corners states, we were ready for a rest. And did we get a great stay!! Without exception every member of staff was there with a friendly smile and greeting and we were made to feel most welcome.

We did have a couple of minor issues :
problem with the coffee pot, which was replaced with a brand new one
Internet wifi for 24 hours cut off two days running at noon (after 16 hours)

Both problems were dealt with well by the hotel so we were more than happy,

Pool areas excellent, with friendly servers, drinks a little pricey but no more than you would expect in a resort.

Good facilities to keep 2 teenage boys amused, balls available for games in the pool, tennis, basketball, 3 pools, bikes for hire to ride round the trails around the hotel. Golf on site but we did not use.

Ate in the lounge bar one evening - we only ate burgers but excellent quality. Take a trip to Bernalillo to The Range Cafe if you want excellent food. Good service and good prices!!

If ever in New Mexico again, would certainly make the effort to revisit - lets see what the future holds!!

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Denver, CO
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Our corporate group always prefers the Tamaya & now I know why! I traveled out with my collegues for a job and wished I could have stayed longer. The bed is unbelievably comfortable, the resort is so relaxing and the staff was very professional and helpful. The group sales staff jumped through hoops due to our many changes, all with a smile! The check-in and check-out for all of our guests was flawless. I hope to make it back to the Tamaya for some "R&R"!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
West Palm Beach, FL
Reviewed July 29, 2009

Throughout my entire time in NM, this experience was the ONLY hitch...we love NM so much that we plan to move there (it is our dream) and have found that the people there are nothing short of wonderful.

But here is my bad review of the Corn Maiden restaurant nonetheless:

I mistakenly chose Corn Maiden for my wedding night dinner. I asked our waiter (R.) to take a bottle of champagne (a wedding gift from my uncle in CT!) home because we preferred wine w/dinner, which went better with meat selections and didn't want to drink both to the point of getting drunk b/c we had a long drive back. After much back & forth, he said that they allow wine to be taken home, but not champagne(!). He kept saying he would speak to the bartender to see if they could re-cork it, but that he didn't think they'd be able to. After much back and forth, he finally said that they would "allow" it but that we were responsible if the cork came out, and it had to be placed in a sealed bag, etc. Which was fine - we just didn't want to leave a bottle of champagne that was a wedding gift, at the restaurant for other people to enjoy! I guess the waiter didn't care for this too much, so his spitefulness and sarcasm thereafter resulted in the following disruptive events: a blatant insult made to my husband (he was talking about another restaurant, how good the food was and said (extremely sarcastically), "but I don't think they have to- go bags for champagne THERE"); our pork was undercooked and the side items were cold; the cappuccino was spilt all over the dish beneath it (which shouldn't happen in a restaurant of this calibur), our dessert came on a dish which had "Happy Anniversary" written on it and the waiter made another sarcastic comment about how he knew it was our wedding night but it's really our anniversary, too, because we'll only have one anyway (??). Also, for a dinner that should have lasted an hour and a half or so (several other couples came and left), we were there - from start to finish - for four and a half hours! Our waiter had a large party of 15 and left us to wait incessantly long periods of time. We were enjoying the scenery outside so much that we didn't complain much but when it took 30 minutes to get our check, and after we put up with his arrogance for so long, we finally started to lose our tempers (which really takes a lot for us - we hate making a scene). I just got home from our trip to NM last night, but I plan on writing a long letter expressing my disappointment that night at the restaurant. My advice to anyone who may read this, make sure you don't get a waiter whose name begins with an "R" at the Corn Maiden. The food was good (would have been VERY good if we had another waiter) and the scenery is unbelievably breathtaking (you can't beat a view of the Sandia mountains at sunset!). But the arrogant, cocky waiter who went on and on about what good taste he had in food and wine, and listing all of his dining experiences around the world wasn't exactly the best way to spend our wedding dinner. For the price we paid, and the type of establishment it was, I am extremely disappointed - especially to happen on such a special occasion. To be honest, we had a much better dining experience at Andiamo in Santa Fe - heck, even at Tia Sophia's for breakfast (Tia Sophia's is a MUST!!!!) as well as every other place we ate at during our trip there. Thumbs down for me.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
#28 of 144 in Albuquerque
Sandia Resort & Casino
#39 of 144 in Albuquerque

Been to Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!