“Staying at the Tamaya is a must!”

Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 30, 2009

Our corporate group always prefers the Tamaya & now I know why! I traveled out with my collegues for a job and wished I could have stayed longer. The bed is unbelievably comfortable, the resort is so relaxing and the staff was very professional and helpful. The group sales staff jumped through hoops due to our many changes, all with a smile! The check-in and check-out for all of our guests was flawless. I hope to make it back to the Tamaya for some "R&R"!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed July 29, 2009

Throughout my entire time in NM, this experience was the ONLY hitch...we love NM so much that we plan to move there (it is our dream) and have found that the people there are nothing short of wonderful.

But here is my bad review of the Corn Maiden restaurant nonetheless:

I mistakenly chose Corn Maiden for my wedding night dinner. I asked our waiter (R.) to take a bottle of champagne (a wedding gift from my uncle in CT!) home because we preferred wine w/dinner, which went better with meat selections and didn't want to drink both to the point of getting drunk b/c we had a long drive back. After much back & forth, he said that they allow wine to be taken home, but not champagne(!). He kept saying he would speak to the bartender to see if they could re-cork it, but that he didn't think they'd be able to. After much back and forth, he finally said that they would "allow" it but that we were responsible if the cork came out, and it had to be placed in a sealed bag, etc. Which was fine - we just didn't want to leave a bottle of champagne that was a wedding gift, at the restaurant for other people to enjoy! I guess the waiter didn't care for this too much, so his spitefulness and sarcasm thereafter resulted in the following disruptive events: a blatant insult made to my husband (he was talking about another restaurant, how good the food was and said (extremely sarcastically), "but I don't think they have to- go bags for champagne THERE"); our pork was undercooked and the side items were cold; the cappuccino was spilt all over the dish beneath it (which shouldn't happen in a restaurant of this calibur), our dessert came on a dish which had "Happy Anniversary" written on it and the waiter made another sarcastic comment about how he knew it was our wedding night but it's really our anniversary, too, because we'll only have one anyway (??). Also, for a dinner that should have lasted an hour and a half or so (several other couples came and left), we were there - from start to finish - for four and a half hours! Our waiter had a large party of 15 and left us to wait incessantly long periods of time. We were enjoying the scenery outside so much that we didn't complain much but when it took 30 minutes to get our check, and after we put up with his arrogance for so long, we finally started to lose our tempers (which really takes a lot for us - we hate making a scene). I just got home from our trip to NM last night, but I plan on writing a long letter expressing my disappointment that night at the restaurant. My advice to anyone who may read this, make sure you don't get a waiter whose name begins with an "R" at the Corn Maiden. The food was good (would have been VERY good if we had another waiter) and the scenery is unbelievably breathtaking (you can't beat a view of the Sandia mountains at sunset!). But the arrogant, cocky waiter who went on and on about what good taste he had in food and wine, and listing all of his dining experiences around the world wasn't exactly the best way to spend our wedding dinner. For the price we paid, and the type of establishment it was, I am extremely disappointed - especially to happen on such a special occasion. To be honest, we had a much better dining experience at Andiamo in Santa Fe - heck, even at Tia Sophia's for breakfast (Tia Sophia's is a MUST!!!!) as well as every other place we ate at during our trip there. Thumbs down for me.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank JaJaNi
Reviewed July 24, 2009

My grandmother took my mother, daughter, and I to this place. My daughter loved it. Especially the swimming pool with the slide. The casino is close and I hear the golfing is great. Since we won a bunch of money at the casino we ate at the restaurant and went to the spa. Wow!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2009

I live in Albuquerque, but have never stayed at Tamaya. I go to the spa quite often for manicures, pedicures, etc and it's fantastic, so I was excited to have the opportunity to stay the night there.

The property is fabulous - secluded, relaxing - with beautiful pools. Rooms are spacious and mine had a small balcony looking over the pool area. I did think the decor was pretty ordinary.

The service left a bit to be desired. I was there for a conference and it took three tries to check in. Every time I approached the front desk there was a long line and it seemed as though it took them forever to get people checked in. Same with the valet service. When I arrived there was no one to park my car and when I was leaving there was no one to go get it. I went to the restaurant for dessert just before they closed and it was obvious they wanted to close - not wait on last minute customers. I could understand if this were a diner, but it's a pretty pricey restaurant and hotel.

One serious drawback - it was extremely difficult to get cell phone service. I had to use the hotel phone to make a long distance call and it was $9.95 for less than a minute!Couldn't use my Internet card for my computer because I couldn't get cell service. Hotel wireless service was $9.95.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 20, 2009

Just spent 5 days at the Hyatt Tamaya as part of our family's summer vacation to New Mexico. We loved it! The setting is spectacular. The fact that it was off the beaten path was very appealing to us. There was lots to do as a family. We rode bikes (provided by resort) almost everyday. The pool was not crowded and the kids (8 year old twins) loved the water slide. The staff at the pool was extremely attentive. They often came around to see if you needed water (it was blazing hot). The food at the poolside cafe was prompt and tasty. We went to the rodeo at the Tamaya Stables. Very family oriented. We also did some of the Native American cultural activities provided by the resort. We all loved "Stories and Smores" held outside under the stars. We thought the food was very good for a resort and definitely not overpriced compared to other hotels/resorts. It is a great place to stay as a family. If you like fresh air, breathtaking views, lots of outdoor activities on/nearby the resort and polite/friendly staff, the Hyatt Tamaya is a great choice. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank pitch6
Reviewed July 5, 2009

We stayed at the Tamaya resort during Father's Day weekend. We stay there at least twice a year, and we love it! The spa is beautiful and relaxing without being pretentious. The hotel offers babysitting and Camp Hyatt, which our six year old loves, and so do we as it allows us time to be alone as a couple. The hotel is situated in such a way that it appears to be in the middle of nowhere, but is actually quite close to Bernalillo/Albuquerque area. We like the illusion of being away from town without actually being far away. The restaurants are a bit pricey, but for a special occasion The Corn Maiden is fun as the menu contains exotic items such as elk and quail. The pools are outdoors, but very beautiful with a water slide. It is pricey, but not out of line for what you get. The service is excellent, and everyone is friendly and willing to help. Always a rejuvenating stay!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TencatNewMexico
Reviewed June 30, 2009

While I was in town at this resort for a meeting, I was so impressed with the resort, I am taking my family on a surprise vacation later this summer. Wow! What an incredible resort. I have never seen such a unique resort. I travel for work, and have had the opportunity to experience several of the Hyatt Resort portfolio, but this is one of my favorites. It is built on an old Indian Reservation and designed around the Native American pueblo look and feel. They have a great spa (althought I didn't go) and a fabulous golf course. They were hosting some PGA of America tournament while I was there so couldn't play, but the course looked incredible. The restaurants were delicious and nothing beats drinks out on the terrace overlooking the Sandia Mountains.

I strongly urge you to check out this resort.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
#10 of 143 in Albuquerque
Hyatt Regency Albuquerque
#28 of 143 in Albuquerque

Been to Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!