“Loved the Hyatt Tamaya”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Scottsdale, AZ
“Loved the Hyatt Tamaya”
Reviewed March 23, 2008

We went to the Hyatt Tamaya for the kid's spring break. We had a fabulous time. The facilities are great. There are three pools. Two were heated. One pool has a water slide. Even though the temperature was chilly for Arizona residents like ourselves, the warm pool temperature along with the hot tub kept the girls (ages 9 and 5) very happy.
I can't say enough about the staff! The folks in the Regency Club both morning and evening were very friendly and genuinely helpful. The same can be said for the staff by the pool and at the services desk and concierge. Everyone was friendly and made us feel at home.
The Hyatt was a great place to celebrate Easter! There were great planned activities for the kids. Also, don't foget to take the kids riding!
This is a great resort that feels secluded. Congratulations to the Santa Ana puueblo who owns the resort. Their influence clearly sets this resort apart from other "cookie cutter" properties.

I highly recommend a stay at the Hyatt Tamaya!

• Liked — Great Staff!
  • Disliked — Rooms could be a little larger.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank SWfamilytraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 1, 2008

We stayed at the Hyatt Tamaya for 2 nights in February during rather cold weather. It is a beautiful property in a beautiful setting along a river and in the Santa Ana Puebo between Albuquerque and Sante Fe. The service was wonderful, the restaurants served delicious food and the property was definely an upscale respite from city life. My only complaint was that the pool, though heated and shielded by a high kiva type wall, was not usable in the cold weather. The spa offered men's and women's whirlpools, but there was no area for couples to soak or swim in together except for the exterior facilities. In the 2 days we spent at the resort, we saw only one swimmer, but did see steamy clouds coming from the pool at all times. It seemed like a horrendous waste of energy to heat a pool no one could swim in. Also, since it was so cold, there was very little to do except go to the spa. Couple activites were minimal. I don't know how to solve the pool problem, but some type of retractable cover/roof should be possible to enhance the site for winter visitors. It was a disappointment.
The Corn Maiden Restaurant was very nice, but the simpler restaurant was just so-so. They do have a small little area with breakfast food and a few salads nestled in the book/magazine/sundries shop. The bar, though beautifully furnished had it's spectacular view behind the bartenders, putting the guests into the body of the hotel, forced to look out the windows over the top of the bar--poor planning. There was an outdoor bar area, but again it was too cold to use.
I would not recommend this hotel in the winter as it is geared to better weather activities.

• Liked — The physical beauty and location
  • Disliked — The lack of swimming facility during cold weather
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank OH2TRVL
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed February 19, 2008

My sweetheart and I planned a quick getaway from Chicago over President's day weekend. Luckily, we had a great time despite this hotel.

We arrived at the Hyatt Tamaya and were told that they did not have a room with a King size bed as I had requested. We were then told we would be getting a room with a pool view as compensation. Since this was the winter season, this was really a downgrade. The good views were facing the mountains. Also, the room was at the farthest end of the hotel.

On check-in, I discovered there was a (SURPRISE!) mandatory $14 resort fee in addition to what I had already paid for my room. I asked what this covered and was told it was the common spaces of the hotel. (No special services or activities were included. Internet access was not even included. ) This fee is just a way to false advertise their prices as being cheaper than they are, I guess.

Even tho the surrounding area is quite beautiful, I would steer clear of this "resort".

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — size of beds
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank min2max
Texas
Reviewed February 18, 2008

My husband lodged here a couple years ago while in town for a biz trip and enjoyed his stay very much. So when we found ourselves traveling to ABQ/Santa Fe, we decided to spend two of our three nights here.

The property is impressive with lots of Southwestern/New Mexican flair. I enjoyed the decor very much. Service at check-in and during our stay was excellent. Though you're very close to the main road and I-25, while on the resort grounds, it seems far removed from everything. A nice escape.

One of the nicest aspects of the hotel is the "great room." Most hotels place their front desk right across from this area, but the Hyatt's check-in/out desk is around the corner and down the hall. I thought this was excellent. It made the "great room" feel like just that, a great room to hang out. Kinda felt like home with two fire places, lots of comfortable seating, and game tables (chess, checkers, backgammon) with built-in cup holders. We also took advantage of the walking/jogging trail. That was great. My most memorable moment of my stay was sitting on the bench listening to the ripple of the Rio Grande. Now that's priceless!

Though it was a lovely stay, there were a few things I did not like: the fact that there were no robes in the room; no complimentary breakfast; a slow draining tub; and no controls on the AC/Heat panel. The latter allowed you to set the temperature, but there was no way to control the flow, so it went full-blast when turned on.

One of our nights was paid for by points, otherwise, I would have been quite disappointed as it seemed that other than the privilege of staying in a newer establishment with a view of the mountain, you get nothing for your money. Even Internet access is an additional $12 a day. Come on. These days, that's like charging for toilet paper. WiFi should be a given.

Since it was winter, we didn't utilize the other great feature (the pools), nor did we golf so can't speak to those amenities. I think this property is perfect for convention/business type events, perhaps even a family reunion. It's just a bit pricey for what you get, imo.

Can't say I'd highly recommend this one, but also wouldn't discourage staying here.

• Liked — Views, decor, comfortable furnishings
  • Disliked — Value
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DallasTricia
NM
Reviewed February 4, 2008

The Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort in Bernalillo is a nice property. It's clean and although somewhat remote, it is quiet and safe. The rooms are of average size and the bathrooms are average, as well.

My big beef with the property is they charge a $14 resort fee. This includes.......nothing. I guess since they call themselves a resort, they think that gives them a license to charge a resort fee. Upon entry to the room, they have two 1L bottles of water. On them a tag reads "we suggest you drink lots of water while staying here. For your convenience, we have provided this bottle of water. We will charge you $5 if you would like to drink it". Hmm. Also, no free wifi. Even most of your budget hotels have free wifi. We did get a morning newspaper, but rather than the obvious Albuquerque Journal, we got a NY Times. Fot $14, the ABQ Journal would have been more appreciated. We stay at resorts all over the country, and generally pay a resort fee. However, we also get resort perks for that fee. Here, it's just another tax.

With the expanse of the property, they do offer free self parking. Because they have so much room, a playground or recreational area for kids would be nice.

The hotel is located in the shadow of the mountains, so there is a view. If you are looking for somewhere close with good Mexican food, try the Range Cafe. Fried green chile strips. Excellent!

• Liked — free self parking
  • Disliked — resort fee, but no value for the fee
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank familyfour65
New Mexico
Reviewed January 28, 2008

Booked a room and spa treatment for my husband's b-day. The location is kinda neat because it is secluded with a golf-cart size road that winds into the property. The hotel is nice. Lobby, lounge, pool areas (did not use), and spa areas are all comfortable and have a great atmosphere to them with that whole southwest theme. There is a constant odor (piped in?) of cedar smell thru out the hotel and even within the rooms. So much so that after we left the hotel to visit some friends they commented that we smelled like the Tamaya. The tolietries in the bathroom were kinda the same with that whole herbal / medicinal smell. Okay for the amount paid for the room....not really worth it. It was pretty basic including the bathroom. Sandia resort has far better rooms and great bathrooms for about half the price. I guess what you are paying for is the available activities (which I am assuming would be an additional fee to the cost of the room) like golfing, horseback riding, pottery making, fire side story telling, etc. I'm sure you would get more out of the stay in the summer months. I agree with one reviewer on the safety issue as the hotel layout is kinda confusing with winding halls and very little information regarding exits or directions to different areas. The staff was nice upon check in/out. And my husband said he did enjoy his massage at the spa but said it was no better than Green Reed at the Sandia. A little nicer facilites but a bit more in price for services. In closing I am still undecided about the place.....would I stay there again? Maybe in the summer and if I got an amazing discount on the room.

• Liked — The secluded area. Quiet.
  • Disliked — The room was not worth the price.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pollysmom
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed January 8, 2008

i went there on my honeymoon. the spa was great and the service overall was excellent. I am sure there are more things to do there in the summer though. It takes 45 minutes to get to Santa Fe, but only 15 minutes from all of the major attractions in Albuquerque, NM.

• Liked — service and total 100% effort to please the guest
  • Disliked — smallish rooms
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown
Sheraton Albuquerque Uptown
#19 of 144 in Albuquerque
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,216 reviews

Been to Hyatt Regency Tamaya Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!