Anantara Medjumbe Island Resort
$1,026
Travelocity
$125
  • Pool
Miti Miwiri Guest House(Ibo)(Great Value!)
$68
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
Chez Natalie(Mocimboa da Praia)
TripAdvisor
Good 3.5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmedjumbe islandscuba divingour honeymoonlobsterhis teamplunge poolsea viewspent dayslow tidesmall planewhite sandnatural beautyfresh fishsea foodevery mealout of this worldfood was great
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Where to start. My husband and I were on Safari for a week and we couldn't wait to get to Medjumbe for some R&R. You fly in on a small aircraft and you can see from the windows the paradise that awaits you. Once the plane lands on the small airstrip you just walk over to the resort. I have never just walked to my final destination after a flight, so this begins the relaxation the moment you step on the Island. The manager got us all settled in and everything is so relaxed and peaceful. The only way to describe it just a place of peace and healing. If you can find a care in the world or think of your stress at Medjumbe then you need to keep seeing your therapist:)
Island: is small so you can walk around in like 30 mins. It took us longer because of all the amazing beach finds like the shells and the variety of crabs that run around. I read an earlier review of the garbage that washes up on the beach and yes there is some garbage but it by no means ruins the resort or effects your vacation in a direct way. I am not sure where the reader thought they could put all the garbage (since you are on an island in the middle of the ocean). The rooms are clean and they fill up your plunge pool and clean everyday. The beds are comfortable and the toiletries are nice and smell good. The sand is so soft and white. The water was turquoise and all shades in between. It is complete paradise. When we would take walks and they would end in the ocean it feels like you are at the end of the world. We meet a travel writer that said this island was just as great as Seychelles are something comparable because of just how private it is. My husband and I were just there with one other couple for days. It is so romantic and a great way to reconnect because there are not other distractions. We said around read books and played cards. The weather was perfect. There were clouds that you could see in the distance, but the island was sunny all day long, every day. We watched beautiful sunsets and even a sunrise

Activities: can keep you busy or you can just relax all day. I did stand up paddle boarding every day and we also kayaked around the island. It is all included in your package deal. We took the boat over to the private/remote island that the resort owns, where we had lunch and discovered the island. We went snorkeling which was really great! The different corals and fish are really amazing. The only downside was it was a bit rough that day, but still fun. We saw others take the boat to try water skiing and wake boarding. Your wish is there command.

Spa: Joanne was amazing! I went for a Swedish Massage on the first day we were there. I have not had a good Swedish Massage in like 10 years! Normally people just rub lotion on me, so I opt for the deep tissue. However! Joanne really understood what a Swedish Massage is. She combines massage with different pressure points and all sorts of feel good things. She is really healing and cares about your health and wellness. The morning we were to leave I really wanted to get a facial because we had a 48 hour trip home. She volunteered to get up super early to make sure that I could get the facial that day. It turned out we could do it a 8am, but I think she would have done it at 5am for me. The products that she used smelled amazing and my face was glowing once she was done. I was impressed how fresh I looked when I stepped off our last flight 48 hours after the fact. She is really the perfect person for the spa at Mejumbe.

The restaurant and service staff was amazing! We had lobster with every meal and the breakfast pastries are to die for. The staff was so friendly and helpful. You could always eat around the pool or head into the dinning area. The bar was stocked and they would make you specialized drinks. I really only drink wine, but my husband said all the drinks were good. They had an upstairs lounge that you could go upto after dinner or whenever and play games and hang out. We loved getting to bed early and just sleeping in.

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation this is your place. My husband and I travel all over the world and we always like our trips, but never seem to do the same one again because we want to see new things. We both agree that we would fly 48 hours to get back to just have one more day in Medjumbe.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bjulyn21
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This is the most amazing honeymoon you could ever dream of. With only 13 chalets on the island, you have the place pretty much to yourself. The plane ride taking you there is like an escort into another world with jaw-dropping views over coral reefs, scattered islands, whales and dolphins (if your eyesight is up to scratch). Upon arrival, your entourage (management and staff) welcome you as they would royalty. The winding path from the airstrip to the main building takes you from one side of the island to the other in fewer than 5 minutes. Don't dare to think this crowds your space though. With the exiting of the tide, you can walk dreamily to the edge of the earth or hang at the bungalow in your private salt water jacuzzi. We couldn't rate the service any lower than 8 stars (out of 5!!!) since we were treated with the utmost courtesy, friendliness, respect and dare I say, love. The food is spectacular though unpretencious. A taste of the sea with almost every meal makes you feel part of the atmosphere and surroundings as crayfish and daily fresh-caught sea food adorns the menu. While mostly a-la-carte, we did have 2 buffet dinners during our week-long stay at the pool under glorious African night-skies. (Honeymooners - You have to come up for air SOMEtime :D) The bungalows themselves were cosy, comfortable, appropriate to the setting and fitted with aircon and television (don't know why in a paradise such as this) and whatever you'd expect in a standard hotel room. The staff are friendly to the nth-degree and we especially enjoyed the company and service of Paolo (I do hope he is still there since it's been a few months since we went there) and Victor made sure that every need and request was tended to. Even those we did not even know we had! This was a spectacular honeymoon. My wife is ever grateful to me for the surprise and the experience. It's the perfect launchpad to start your married life and a place I'd go visit to relive the happy memories of those first days of a life joined together. It was a sad when when we left. It felt like leaving home.

Room Tip: Rooms on the lighthouse side of the main building sees less foot traffic on the beach and lends itself to even more privacy.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brq-Wfi
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a 5-night stay at Medjumbe Island and we are still blown away by the amazing experience and total beauty of this very special island. When flying into Medjumbe by charter plane, you cannot believe how tiny the island is. It is literally 1km x 500m wide and from the air, you can't help but wonder what on earth the experience will be like. I have to say, this was by far one of our most romantic holidays ever - and we travel extensively. The beaches of Mozambique are, in my opinion, the best in the world. This island's beaches just lift that up to another level altogether. Pristine, soft white sand, turquoise, blue and green sea and a tranquillity that is hard to imagine.

We loved our chalet, which is right on the beach and extremely private. We also loved the main lodge area that has views that go on forever, as well as a salted swimming pool which came in really handy for when the tide is out. The bar is right next to the pool and the barmen at Medjumbe (particularly Mussi) are all masters at mixing cocktails and exotic drinks. We found the food to be exceptional, especially since the island is so remote. It cannot be easy for the chef to plan the meals he does, but he pulls this off superbly. Jamie is the activities manager, so he is always around to suggest various things you might want to do and is a lovely perso. We did a sunset cruise which was fantastic. Victor is the manager of the lodge and is courteous, friendly and helpful. All the staff at the lodge are actually fabulous and we were greeted with wide smiles wherever we went.

I cannot recommend this island, and this experience, highly enough. We also did our booking through Rani Resorts and dealt with Elizabeth, who is fantastic and efficient and professional, as well as Lindy, who is also wonderful.

Room Tip: The rooms on the left hand side of the main lodge have a better beach, with less rocks. We stayed at no. 12
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynnie07
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Well it is Africa, so the trip from Maputo flying into medjumbe was interesting but unbelievable. The view from our Cessna was absolutely great. The island itself and the resort lives up to its name, with only 900m by 300m of solid land make this place really special. With only 13 bungalows on the island, it is pretty private. You don't have to see a soul, stay in your bungalow or lie at your splash pool. Snorkel in the ocean, deep sea diving, paddle across the island to the neighboring island, swim with dolphins and have just fun with your partner. AND LOADS OF SEA FOOD.
have fun

Room Tip: Choose the bungalows closer to the spit
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Theunis H
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We arrived in Medjumbe after the quite amazing plane ride from Pemba (the views are astonishing!), to a lovely welcome from Victor the manager, Jamie and Joanne (activities & Spa respectively) and the bar staff awaited us with a cocktail on the doorstep! From then on, it was just magical, the chalet was perfect! private plunge pool hidden by the trees ensured perfect privacy.
We spent 7 nights there and we enjoyed every second of it, I have to say, the place was not busy so we go to chat to the staff daily and they became like a family, so lovely and friendly, so different from a hotel set up.
On the last full day, we had a private picnic on a smaller island, followed by dinner on the beach, it was the most perfect day ever.
I actually had tears in my eyes when the plane came back to pick us up after a week! The staff walked us to the landing strip and it was hugs all around, I will never forget the kindness we received on Medjumbe.
I will definetely recommend this place and I wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple