“Carlsberg don't do B&B's, but if they did........Clayton Wickham Farmhouse would be it!”

Clayton Wickham Farmhouse
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Quite simply the best B&B I have ever stayed at. The owners were most welcoming and we instantly felt comfortable and at ease in their lovely home. The rooms were extremely comfortable and the breakfasts amazing. I would recommend going in the spring/summer as the garden is fantastic and a great place to relax. And there's the tennis court if want some activity. I thoroughly recommend this venue and I will be going back in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank RobbieMacD

Reviewed April 15, 2011

My husband and I have finally dicovered the place of our dreams for quiet holidays near Brighton. The house is so charming! It is ideally set in the typically British countryside (we are French). How delightful it is to be woken up by birds singing! The room we stayed in was ever so romantically decorated and the bed was very comfortable (for once, I had no backache when I woke up!). Breakfast is served in a charming room and we enjoyed everything from the cooked breakfast to a fresh fruit salad, toasts and locally produced jams.
The owners, Susie and Mike, are very welcoming and ready to do anything to help you. They gave us advice about the most suitable restaurants or pubs according to what we felt like eating each day. As we love hiking, we followed Susie's advice so we discovered a walk in the Downs that we would never have found on our own.
It took us only 10 or 15 minutes to drive to the centre of Brighton. The location is also very practical for garden lovers who would like to visit all the famous gardens around.
I would definitely recommand this B and B both for the setting AND the warm welcome.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank default481
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I must be one of the travelers who did not find the charm of this admittedly beautiful farmhouse and surrounding area to my tastes, sadly the over decoration of the actual B&B made myself and my partner feel as though we could not be as relaxed as we would of liked, and although the owner/operators tried to come across as friendly we felt very much ill at ease and that the friendliness was almost forced. The rooms were adequate, while decorated way beyond either of our tastes, and the breakfast again while adequate was again just too much, and while the owners seem to 'mask' their feelings and appear friendly it was apparent on more than one occasion the wife felt we should of appreciated more the service and quality that was provided. I wouldn't go back again, or recommend it, I prefer somewhere perhaps more homey where myself and my partner can relax and enjoy ourselves without feeling uncomfortable.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
27  Thank Eden469398
Reviewed November 3, 2010

We have stayed a couple of times before with Suzie and Mike in their lovely farmhouse. The gardens were, as always, immaculate and the hosts very welcoming. A lot of effort has gone into making this idyllic rural farmhouse as comfortable as it can be - tea on demand, biscuits in the room, shampoo and conditioner you can actually get out of the bottle, clean and comfortable. We had the roomy four poster bedroom and had the luxury of an extra hour there as the clocks went back! If you are a cat lover, their burmese chinchilla Jambo is as friendly and welcoming as his owners. Nothing was too much trouble - but if you are over 6' remember to duck through the doors as this farmhouse wasn't built for modern head heights.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fussymungo
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I can only repeat what has been said before and just add that nothing was too much trouble including showing me how to use the Aga in their kitchen so I could make a very early cup of tea (the tea /coffee things were in the pretty outside dining/sitting room) and bringing us plates ,glasses, candles so that we could enjoy our picnic supper in their beautiful garden.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs_Subtle
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I discovered this Bed and Breakfast quite by chance a couple of years ago, and every visit so far has not failed to impress. The hosts are excellent the premises clean, the beds very comfortable with clean luxurious duvets and soft white towels. The setting although convenient to major roads is hidden in the countryside, it is tranquil and far away from traffic noise. I was with my Mother, my sister , sister in lay and 2 girls aged 7 and 8, and we all had a wonderful time. Suzy made sure the girls had toys to play with , we all played tennis after being well fuelled on a very nice English breakfast. We walked to Hassocks train station and took a train to Brighton. I will be returning many times.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Hairbear1964
Reviewed April 6, 2010

The Clayton Wickham Farmhouse is clearly a cherished family home, the product of a great deal of time and care over a number of years, and it retains the beauty and character of the traditional English farmhouse that it once was. Hosts Susie and Mike are most welcoming, the rooms (we stayed in the barn, though there are also rooms over in the main house) very comfortable, clean, thoughtfully equipped and quiet, and the breakfast included wonderful fresh fruit salad, yogurts, cereal, and a full English breakfast that my sons wolfed down. The B&B overlooks fields and trees, and the views are wonderful - I can imagine that in summer the place is a riot of colour and foliage. The picture gallery on the B&B's website www.cwfbandb.co.uk (googling the name of the B&B isn't enough to get to it, at present) does the place justice - once you manage to get to it! It is a short drive to some lovely walks on the South Downs.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank JCRW6

Been to Clayton Wickham Farmhouse? Share your experiences!