Madera's Inn(Masaya)
$57
  • Breakfast included
$60
TripAdvisor
All reviewslake nicaraguahowler monkeysbeautiful hotelapoyo lagoonbeach clubstar resortinfinity poollocal artisansevery morningamazing viewscool breezeminute drivenature walkhotel restaurantrooms are lovelythree nightsmain building
Reviewed August 3, 2016 via mobile

Forgive the cheesiness of the title.

Even before arriving, I knew this place was special. The staff entertained my bazillion questions via email and were always patient and helpful. Clarence, their driver, picked me up in Granada and on the way over, we had an excellent discussion that ranges from politics to education to the ways that Pacaya Lodge has helped the local community. (They help educate nearby high schoolers and they decorated with goods made by local artisans!)

The setting is gorgeous and incredibly relaxing. I stayed for three nights after having done hostels for my journey. Oh. My. Gosh. I slept like a baby in their incredible beds. And all the rooms have exquisite views of the lake.

They have not yet hired a yoga instructor, so I was able to make use of their yoga deck whenever I wanted. What a treat to wake up and do some yoga overlooking a lake while surrounded by dragonflies and butterflies!

I had the Lomi Lomi massage at their on site spa. The only quibble: They don't have the tables that allow you to lay face-down; instead, you lie with your head turned to the side. It isn't as comfortable, but it really didn't matter too much. I still ended up walking out of there as though linguine comprised all my muscles.

There is a hiking trail to Catarina that is full of beautiful foliage and dozens of different kinds of butterflies. Maybe I was foolhardy going by myself (some people along the way cautioned me and a police officer on the other end of the trail made me promise I'd take a cab back to the lodge), but I'm glad I got to see such beauty.

The staff is incredibly kind, considerate, and friendly. For those who speak limited Spanish, never fear! Many of their staff speak English.

If you need a place to kick back and relax while going through Nica, definitely put Pacaya Lodge on your itinerary!

Stayed: August 2016, traveled solo
1  Thank ichikoala
PacayaLodge, Director of Sales at Pacaya Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2016

We're so happy you enjoyed yourself at Pacaya. Thank you very much for your kind review. It was a pleasure to host you and we hope you'll be back next time you find yourself in Nicaragua.

Reviewed August 1, 2016 via mobile

We stayed here with our two boys ages 8 and 6 for three nights in a suite.

The good things were the beautiful room, great pool, amazing view, nice grounds. Also the free morning hike with Marvin is a must do - you will see monkeys, birds, butterflies and great views. Our kids loved the place. Also a great yoga platform

It is a new hotel so there is some small things to improve still including:
- More options on the food menu (note: they will make almost anything you ask them. Our kids ate pasta every night). The food itself is very good. Granada is a 30 minute drive and there are few other dinner options
- More knowledgable front desk staff. There were no maps or other guidance available. Staff did not know about the tours on the hotels webpage.
- More towels at the pool area
- Better pricing at the spa. It's more expensive than the US

Overall we loved it though.

Stayed: August 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank Aldabra2007

Thank you very much for your kind review. We're so happy that you liked your room, pool, the views and the grounds, as well as your morning hike with our talented guide, Marvin. Thanks for your honest feedback on our areas for improvement. Your comments are well received and very much appreciated. Hope to see you next time you visit Nicaragua!

Reviewed July 28, 2016

I really enjoyed how quiet and relaxing this place is. Nestled in the middle of the forest on a volcano, it is a pleasure to stay in this property. My room was clean, spacious, and air conditioned. The bathroom is very nice and the service is excellent. Everybody who works there is pleasant and attentive to their customers.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind review, Anna. We're thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate you taking the time to leave your review.

Reviewed July 20, 2016 via mobile

When I first learned about Pacaya Lodge it seemed like a new place that had the hype of "a new place" it looked nice in the pictures but when we got there the experience was on a whole nother level.i was highly impressed to say the least. Staff spoke English and we're very professional. This place is a nice mix of Nicaraguan natural beauty combined with NorthAmerican Comfort which can be hard to find in the middle of a volcanic crater. The views are off the charts and the beds.....zzzzzzz comfy. Not to mention the cool breeze makes it nice to sit on the porch with a cup of coffee and a plush white robe watching the sunrise and listening to the monkeys. A+ PACAYA!

Stayed: July 2016, traveled on business

Thanks for the A+ review :) So glad you enjoyed yourself. Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed July 17, 2016

I just returned from a visit to Nicaragua. I stayed at the Pacaya Lodge and Spa for the duration of my trip. It was a fantastic experience.

The room... rooms at the hotel are well decorated with a local feel. You get wonderful accommodations, but you still feel like you are in Nicaragua. They are clean and comfortable, and they have spectacular views over the property. My room was very quiet as well.

Housekeeping... fantastic! Every time I was out of the room for more than 30 minutes, I would return to find everything clean. Dirty clothes left our were folded. Shoes were placed on shelves. Great service and attention to detail. They provided two complimentary bottles of water every day as well.

The property... the property is beautiful, with a breathtaking view over Apoyo Lake (crater of an extinct volcano), Granada, and Lake Nicaragua in the distance. There are plenty of areas to sit and enjoy the view and the breeze.

The restaurant... you aren't too far from Granada or Masaya, so its worth the drive to check those out. The restaurant is good as well though. I ate there several times and enjoyed everything I tried. Prices for Tona (local beer) area great as well.

Service... the service is good. It may be a little different than what you would see in a five star in the states, but the hotel management is working on improvements. The people are incredibly kind, willing, and helpful. Kick back and relax and enjoy the experience.

"Rainy season" is not bad in my experience. There were a few hours of rain over the course of the week, but overall the weather was sunny and the temperatures were mild and comfortable. While I expected to see thousands, I saw 1 mosquito during my week there.

I definitely recommend a visit to Pacaya Lodge!

• Stayed: July 2016, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review, Brian. It was a pleasure having you. We're thrilled that you enjoyed the service, the food, and our beautiful property. Glad you enjoyed your "green season" visit!