Premier Resort Cutty Sark
Hotels.com
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
TripAdvisor
All reviewscutty sarkfriendly staffsouth coastgrand old ladygreat familybreakfast and dinnerfishdelicious foodfamily holidaykwazulu natalscottburghseabuffetvarietychildpartscosts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This is a long story... full of complaints...

My husband and I got married November 2012.
We kicked off our honeymoon in the Drakensburg for 3 nights, and it was AMAZING!
We then left to spend the remaining 10 nights on the South Coast.
He picked the hotel Cutty Sark.... Hotel? Really?

The reception area was dodgy (cold and dark)
The staff at the reception were not at all friendly (both the reception ladies and the cleaning staff standing around)

When the booking was made, my husband requested a room that at least had a sea view. On arrival, we told them again that we were there for our honeymoon. One of reception lady's checked the room number and said that "this is a very nice room"

We walked down a couple of stairs to the end of the hotel (and I mean the very end), even though the hotel was empty.
When the door was opened the first thing we saw was the bathroom, which looked like it had just been renovated, it was stunning, then a stench out of hell hit your nose.
As if this bedroom door hadn't been opened it months!
I tried desperately not to look disappointed, after all we were at the coast, I suppose this smell is normal.

We then opened the curtains only to find that our view was just BUSH! We opened the door leading to the beach side of the room, more bush. Only about 3 rooms down did you start seeing the ocean.
I couldn't hold it anymore I just burst out crying.
I sat on the bed that felt like it has no more mattress left, like I was going to fall right through and hit the ground.
I looked around at the excuse of a honeymoon room, that has a TV stand that was ready to fall out of the wall, the TV with reception so terrible it looked like it was snowing, and an excuse of a table with tea/coffee making equipment.
This wasn't acceptable, not for what we were paying.
Husband went to go complain, and they moved us to another room, no problem.

Up the stairs we went, past the reception, up some more stairs, to another room on the other end of the hotel. SERIOUSLY! There was no one there!

Again when we walked in I thought this room would be great. 180 degree view, sea, garden, lagoon. What could be better right?
Until I walked into the bathroom.
What a sad sight. It had a bath come shower, with a disgusting shower curtain and shower head, there were stains on the bath, stains on the basin, a tiny little mirror cupboard that looks as rotten as anything
Again I sat on the bed, SAME THING as before! Completely collapsed in the middle.
all of a sudden I hear this sound. A train! Coming right past the bedroom!!!! Something you don't see on their wonderful website, that paints a fairytale picture compared to what this place really looks like.
As if that wasn’t bad enough, there was exactly one cupboard to put your clothing in. A single side with about 4 shelves and a hanging side which could probably fit about 3 days of clothing. We were going to be there for 10!

Furniture in both rooms were not only old, but also breaking and rotting.
The carpets looked and smelt like they hadn’t been washed EVER.
This place hasn’t been renovated in years, which is so sad because it has beautiful potential.

This place is HELL!!
This is not a hotel! It doesn’t deserve the “branding” hotel. It is disgusting, and an utter rip off.

We managed to get our money back without a fight, which is strange, makes you think that this isn’t the first time that this has happened, and we managed to find another place to stay, thank heavens! Our honeymoon was saved.

We were told a couple of days later, by our deep sea fishing captain, that the hotel isn’t half of what it used to be. That’s it’s been totally neglected.
That the hotel is advertised a great deal over seas, how true that is I don’t know, but if it is true, I feel very ashamed and angry to think that foreign visitors get ripped off, and are fooled into thinking that this is the best there is.

Room Tip: I don't think one exists
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Joanne E
Peter R, Manager at Premier Resort Cutty Sark, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2013

Obviously expectation level was much higher before checking. Overall did not stay and did not pay.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I were due to book into the hotel on the 27th Dec 2012. When we arrived and were shown to our room we were in for a shock. At a rate of R1640 per night, you expect a certain standard, however we were absolutely disgusted by our room. It was tatty and dirty as well as totally outdated.
The bathroom door didn’t close from the outside and our toddler was having great fun racing to play with the toilet as we has no way of keeping him out, there was also cracked and raised tiles on the floor and was an toe stump waiting to happen.
The floor in the main room was full of stains and Iron burns, The TV didn’t work and the wood was dirty and full of dust.
The headboard was falling apart on one of the beds. The other bed’s cover had cigarette burns in it and then the sheets underneath. We decided to peek at the mattress and were horrified to see a big yellow stain in the mattress.

We called the lady on reception and showed her this & her response was that they didn’t have any other rooms available, so we would have to have a refund.

We had to leave the hotel, not that we wanted to stay, and try to find alternate accommodation.

It was an absolute disgrace and they should be ashamed to rent out those rooms to ppl. I wouldn’t rate it as a 1 star.

Room Tip: My tip is, there is no good rooms, dont stay there.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Kazy1982
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Loved the hotel especially the food. The staff were excellent. Situated on the beachfront and would definitely like to go back and take the kids next time. The food is above average. The rooms were not that great as they need an upgrade but were spotlessly clean. That did not put a damper on my holiday as who spends all day in their room.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Stayed here on Boxing Day and was disappointed by the standard of decor. Rooms look like something from the 70's and weren't that tidy or clean. Location is OK but nothing special. The food was average. Considering that we paid R1400 for one night's stay we certainly expected more. Won't rush back unless the place is gutted and redecorated. Terrible really.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FatManc
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This hotel is outdated so to speak. Definit not "valuwe for your money"! It need a urgent make over before i will consider staying there again. Room s are big though and the staff frienly and that is basically all that is positive about the place. The meals are not to bad. It is idealy close to the beach and main bathing beach and maybe this is another positive point for this property. I recall this hotel when I was a kid and stayed there then some 40 years ago. It was absolutely fantastic then but with my recent visit I was really disappointed. It is graded a 3 star but I think it should be down graded or not graded at all! It does not earn a 3* grading. The place date back to the 50's or 60's if looking at the furniture. It is like walking back in the past. The boiler is run with coal to serve hot water and the smell from the drains is terrible!

The railway line is some 15 metres away from the property and the noise is overwhelming when trains move through. The pool is fine but one can't use it in winter time though, the water is freezing cold.

Scottburgh is a quiet town with not much action except during school holidays and specialy December during the festive season. Shows are held at the main bathing beach area and the noise can be heard at the hotel. Not very romantic or relaxing if one wish to have a lazy break away.

Room Tip: Rather choose another hotel in another town to avoid disapppointment
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple