Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel
  • Bar/Lounge
$142
The County Hotel(Chelmsford)
$100
Premier Inn Chelmsford City Centre Hotel(Chelmsford)(Great Value!)
  • Restaurant
Pontlands Park(Great Baddow)
$160
$83
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Chelmsford (Boreham) Hotel(Chelmsford)(Great Value!)
$172
PremierInn.com
Premier Inn Brentwood Hotel(Brentwood)(Great Value!)
$64
$50
Travelodge
All reviewsnice hotelafternoon teabridal suitesandwicheslovely groundson arrivalgood sizefunction roomdietary requirementswedding venueroad noisebar foodbed and breakfastfantastic foodper headnight staylovely room
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I only stayed for one night, a Monday, when the restaurant was closed. I had a large, quiet, comfortable room, with decent conditions for working. The staff were attentive and helpful. I ate in the lounge, and in fact had a very decent vegetarian meal with a soup, starter and pudding. It's very unusual these days for a hotel not to have a single vegetarian main course advertised, though there is a note at the bottom of the menu saying that if you don't fancy what's on offer, the chef might be able to knock up something different. Despite this minor gripe, my experience overall was very good.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased you were well looked after by the team and liked your bedroom.
I have looked in to your comments about the menu and would like to apologise for the omission of a vegetarian option in the 'bigger bites' section of the menu, it appears to have been missed off when the menu was last updated, however today the team have changed the menu and added a vegetarian option in to this section.

We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again soon

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Three years running I have booked 8 of us into this hotel's disco night. the first year was a Motown Night and we so enjoyed it I booked again the next year. However, at the last minute the Motown evening was cancelled and we were offered unacceptable alternatives so we were forced to go elsewhere. This year se booked again for the Motown night and again at the last mionute it was cancelled. I transferred to the alternative entertainment which was a Rat Pack evening. We assumed it would be the 3 members of the rat pack but what we got was one singer who started off as Elvis and then late into the evening sang some of the Rat Pack songs. It was intolerably loud and so we took ourselves off into a side seating area where we could hear ourselves talk. If you do not want to be let down do not book here.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Janet H
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I was disappointed to read the review following your visit at Christmas.
Apologies that once again the Motown evening was cancelled, it had been a popular event in previous years but this year, as last year experienced very poor ticket sales and as such it is not something we will be booking again.
Although the event was cancelled it was done so with 6 weeks notice and not at the last minute as you suggest and alternatives were offered which included a refund of any deposits paid if you did not want to attend the events taking place at any of our other companies. You opted to attend the event that took place at Bartellas Restaurant and I can only assume that you were satisfied with the food and service offered as your review contains no comments about these aspects.
We have not received any other negative comments about the act but I will speak to the restaurant staff and see if there were any variations from what we expected or issues with the volume.
I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to Ivy Hill again in the future.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

For a quick stop off en route to our destination this proved an excellent choice for us with the room extremely comfortable and well equipped. The snack meal we had in the evening in the lounge bar was good quality and well priced. The included breakfast was definitely the best breakfast we have had in a hotel within memory. I would go back right now just for the heavenly scrambled eggs alone! In fairness we were perhaps the only guests in the hotel that night as we only saw one other gentleman - and he could well have been the auditor we decided at breakfast. Our service, was, of course, excellent and we didn't have to wait for anyone. The staff were all extremely friendly and we would definitely go back again......but will be wary of other comments if we go in the busy times.

Room Tip: Executive room we had was all freshly renovated and extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Thank you for your lovely review following your recent stay with us.
I am pleased you enjoyed the food and service and liked the rooms. I will make sure your positive comments are passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

writing my review having just been told that dinner not an option as catering for xmas parties. would have been nice to know this an hour ago....My second or third extended stay here and its pretty ordinary. Reception staff incredibly friendly and helpful. Rooms have recently been re-furbed and have a good, modern feel.
The food is pretty mixed and let's down the hotel. Breakfast is great but 4 or 5 times my colleagues and I have waited 30 minutes for hot food. Last time here people left as they had meetings to attend.
Dinner one night was laughably bad (the jokes about the soup will keep us entertained for weeks) and then was really quite good a subsequent night so either they have multiple chefs or the one they have has more mood swings than a menopausal hippo.
definitely won't be my hotel of choice going forward but give it a try as Bartellas may well be excellent (shut during week and booked for event at present) and if you have time to wait the breakfast is great (smoked haddock and poached eggs is really good)

Room Tip: ask for a newly re-furbed room
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
HLGroup, Owner at Best Western Ivy Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

I was disappointed to read your review following your recent stay with us at Best Western Ivy Hill.
I note that within it there are some very positive comments about the hotel and the staff and thank you for those.
I currently have the team looking in to some of the points you raised about the quality and consistency of the food as this is not something I like to hear about and will investigate to ensure it doesn't happen again, had you mentioned it at the time we could have looked in to it but none of the issues were bought to the attention of the team.
However, I don't appreciate that you only told half the story of the night you wrote the review, the hotel was fully booked and very busy with Christmas parties and the neighbouring restaurant, Bartellas (open 6 days a week) was also fully booked but the hotel were able to serve you dinner, just not at the exact time you hoped and you CHOSE to leave the lounge and not eat.

We do hope you will return if in the area again.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

I stayed here on business in December. The location was perfect just off the A12 but was surprisingly quiet. The Hotel looks lovely from the outside and the inside is just as nice. The staff were very friendly and helpful at check in. The rooms have recently been refurbished to a high standard and were very comfortable and cosy. I had a really peaceful and comfortable nights sleep in the large bed. Breakfast was excellent as was the food from room service.I am so glad that I found this hotel as I no longer have to stay in the larger impersonal Hotels that my company normally book for me. Another fab stay in a Best Western hotel !!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.
It is always a pleasure to read that someone has enjoyed the high standards we work hard to achieve throughout the hotel.
I will make sure your comments are passed on to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.