“At last - a proper village pub with excellent food”
Review of The New Inn

The New Inn
Ranked #4 of 7 Restaurants in Pembridge
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Not a Gastro Pub, not a tarted up, brewery owned, excuse for a pub, a REAL HONEST TO GOODNESS ENGLISH PUB.
Set in a tiny square of this quintessential black and white village, opposite the ancient covered market building with its weekly market (whose charter was granted in 1239!!!!), is The New Inn (now several hundred years old).
One enters via a tiny bar a buzz with locals,or via the snug with its huge fireplace.
Smart it is not, but full of atmosphere serving excellent local beers & ciders, a small wine list and beautifully cooked simple food of generous portions.
The loos are basic, the carpets worn, however The New Inn has to be one of the last of a dying breed of great English pubs.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Really old characterful pub that's unfortunately rarely seen these days. Excellent local beer and the food was very good. My only criticism is that the portions were rather large and I hate leaving food, but I appreciate that's just personal to me. My husband had a locally sourced steak which he thought was one of the best he had eaten in many years. Would highly recommend and we will make a return visit soon.

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Spooky ... We were driving to the New Inn as it had been recommended in our holiday cottage blurb nearby. On radio 2 was an item about via age pubs that has been taken over by the Parish Council to save them. Did not listen to it all but the gist was that it was not the pub failing it was the people running them. Why do I say this? I expect this pub to be going the same way unless it has a supportive set of locals who are not worried about poor service, or perhaps the poor service is just left for tourists. Anyway to the experience. A family of four we arrived early as often you get a table without booking. On entry no greeting, a few locals in who looked at us as if we had arrived from Pluto - not ashamed to give long stares. Bar person did offer a table and add that food was available from 6.30. We ordered drinks and my wife was not offered choice when she asked for a white wine - she ended up with a small tasteless non descript white wine. My wife had to go back for a menu and was given 1 menu ... No sign of a children's menu but were assured a small portion of mains could be had. Again the locals stared at my wife and like other comments she had to push her way through the few people that were there. When I returned to the bar the bar person did not ask me what I wanted - she kind of jesticulated by throwing her head back, I ordered and she proceeded to pull a new pint in my dirty glass without speaking. Food was surprisingly good hence the 2 stars. You would get a warmer welcome at Durham Gaol so if you want to spend money and be appreciated do not go here. No excuse for such blatant rudeness.

3  Thank Steve P
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We found the bar area very small and had to squeeze past people to get inside the pub, let alone the restaurant. The service was pleasant, the food excellent. We just found the place a bit claustrophobic.

Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my partner were on a weekend break at the near by caravan site we decided to venture in to the village for some food, unfortunately we ended up here, when we arrived the atmosphear was not great and the staff were less than welcoming, no smiles no welcomes etc, dispite this we decided to stay as we were starving. I asked what the soup was and was "creamy vegetable" so I went ahead and ordered that and garlic chicken gousions for main. We then sat at our table and waited, I went off to the toilet while waiting and passed by the kitchen on route to toilet to over hear the cook say "soup! Who orders [--] soup on a day like this" ok it was a hot day out side but why have soup on the menu if you don't have any prepared! We waited about 25mins on the soup and when it arrived it was inedible I can only describe it as very strong cheese sauce, I did not eat it, when the waitress cleared my full bowl of soup away she did not ask how it was or why I hadnt eaten any of it. Anyways I was hoping the main would be better but no it was much the same standard, instead of the gousions I was expecting I was served chicken dippers (actual chicken dippers) with no garlic, and with wedges instead of fries, I was so hungry I ate what I could. Overall we were very disappointed with the standard of food, atmosphear and attitude of staff, we will not be back and would not advise any one to go here for food!

3  Thank Lah00005