“Charming Hotel”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Crillon le Brave
Reviewed October 27, 2004

This is a charming inn in a beautiful medieval stone village perched on a hill. It's a quaint getaway that is very serene. Please note that there aren't any shops or cafes or much to walk to and no TVs. It's a very small village of just a handful of houses. However, you can drive to several nearby villages (30 minutes to an hour) that have more shops, restaurants, etc. if you wish. But it was very nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city. There are also many wineries in the area (though we didn't really like any of the wine we tasted). In the fall, the grape vines turn to yellow and red, which made for nice scenery, but it would have been better I think to come in late in June or July when the lavender is in bloom, but not yet harvested. The hotel was very nice about creating day trips and excursions. The restaurant was absolutely fabulous with excellent cuisine. They want you to make a reservation for either restaurants though. One night we walked into the more casual restaurant and there were only two tables filled and they said it was not possible because we didn't have a reservation. Luckily the matre d' from the formal restaurant walked through and we had chatted with him last night so he gave us a table and we had a cheese plate and they let us have dessert, but it was like begging for food. And only one other table came in that night!

There was also several loud dirt bikes each day from neighboring kids, a bit of smoke from burning trash in the valley, and a large crane blocking views from several rooms, so it's not a resort town by any means. But the hotel is as wonderful as it could possibly be - the rooms were picture perfect and the buildings, terraces, and meandering walkways were enchanting. We especially loved the medieval village of Vaison la Romain and Surget (?sp).

• Stayed: October 2004
5  Thank SusanM3

Reviewed October 14, 2004

We stayed at Hostellerie de Crillon le Brave 9/26/04 for four nights. The room was absolutely beautiful and very comfortable and romantic. The view was gorgeous and the staff was very nice. We loved walking around the hotel grounds and exploring the tiny village. It was a perfect place from which to make day trips to explore Provence. I am sure it's even more beautiful in Summer when the lavendar and sunflowers are blooming, although watching them harvest grapes was very interesting too and we had perfect weather and a full moon. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and would go there again. I do have to say that the food did not impress us at all. They charge a lot and make a big deal of it, but we honestly did not love anything we ate. The breakfast buffet was exactly the same every day and very minimal. It gets old after a few days. More variety would have been nice. There is one other restaurant in the village called Vieux Four that serves excellent food for a lot less money. We had a great dinner there after eating in both restaurants at the hotel.

• Stayed: January 2005
6  Thank minniemouse
Reviewed September 26, 2004

This hotel was, of all the places in the world I've visited, the most beautiful. Words, and even pictures, do not do it justice because you cannot smell the air or have the beauty of the place nourish you. The rooms are luxurious and very French, the gardens beautiful, the scenery unbelieveable, and the food exquisite. I look forward to one day coming back.

• Stayed: May 1999
1  Thank Cathy G
Reviewed July 21, 2004

This is the best of many great hotels we've visited anywhere. Location, location, location. Just the perfect distance from any of the many beautiful large towns in the area. Understated elegance from the exquisite dining to the fantastic views of Mt. Ventoux and the bucolic vinyards. The staff (especially the general manager, David) was fantastic...never overbearing but always had the perfect activities to recommend daily. With any luck, we'll be able to return often.

2  Thank Steve M
Reviewed July 15, 2004

In the course of my work, I have stayed at a large number of very plush and very expensive hotels around the world. When it comes to spending my own money I tend to be VERY fussy and difficult to please. The fact is I cannot think of a single negative comment to make about L'Hostellerie de Crillon le Brave. The position, the buildings, the room and the facilities were all better than the website had led me to believe. The service was friendly yet professional. Never intrusive yet never hard to find when you needed it. Rooms were serviced as if by magic - I certainly never saw a maid anywhere near our room. The Restaurant and the Bistrot provided as high a standard of eating as you are ever likely to demand or expect.

The most astonishing thing about this whole package, though, is that it all cost around half what I would have expected to pay for an equivalent hotel in the UK (if I could find one!). Quite simply the best hotel experience I have had.

1  Thank JBMED
Reviewed February 16, 2004

My partner and I stayed here in April 2002. The hotel, the staff, the food, and the views are unparalled. Perhaps one of the finest resorts we have stayed in anywhere. Simple elegance. An extraordinary retreat tucked on a hillside overlooking Mt Ventoux. the pcitures and website do not do this justice, and its a very easy car ride from Avignon (about 45 mns). we took the TGV from paris and spent four relaxing nights exploring the restaurants recommended by staff. Wish I were there right now!

1  Thank PineHillInn
Reviewed November 2, 2002

My first time to Europe, first time to Paris, and then to the Crillon le Brave in Provence. We did not want to leave. The room, the dining, the staff, everything was absolutely perfect and romantic. The pool area was so relaxing with lots of little nooks and crannies to cuddle into. We're going back in 2004!

6  Thank Carol T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crillon-le-Brave
La Maison de Crillon
La Maison de Crillon
#2 of 2 in Crillon-le-Brave
La Bastide de Gordes
La Bastide de Gordes
#2 of 24 in Gordes
Auberge de Cassagne & Spa
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Roches
Hostellerie Chateau des Fines Ro...
#1 of 4 in Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Coquillade Village
Coquillade Village
#1 of 1 in Gargas
Le Mas des Herbes Blanches

Been to Hotel Crillon le Brave? Share your experiences!