Bijilo Beach Hotel
  • Pool
Sarges Hotel(Kololi)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 20, 2009

Not my first time in The Gambia & certainly won't be my last. Traditionally, I stayed at the Kairaba Beach Hotel, however the amount of hussling from the street boys made us opt for Bijilo Beach Hotel. About a couple o minutes away from Senegambia, the hotel is located off the Atlantic coast line among 3 other hotels. I enjoyed every bit of my stay with my wonderful wife as we sipped a cool Julbrew whilst watching the Gambian sun set . When not lazing by the pool side, we engaged in friendly discussions with the head waiter Fuji, who's a big fan of everything English. The rooms were decent & were cleaned daily. i couldn't fault much on the hotel, although connecting to the wireless sometimes seemed difficult, probably attributed to the heavy summer rain, it didn't dampen my spirits one bit.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I booked into the hotel for a week for the cost of 1000 dalasis a night. I have known the owner of the hotel for a very long time do not expect any specail treatment as such but therewas no breakfast the rooms where also dirty and even worse no hot water and no air conditioning. In any hotel I do not expect employees to be rude and abusive as what i experienced . The staff did not like that I had my own car and dictated where and what I can do with my car.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank aquinn06
Reviewed April 15, 2009

Wondered long and hard if I wanted to write a review.

It was a quiet nice location. I am not sure if it would be as nice if the hotel was full! It appeared to be less than half full when we were there.

Rooms are not of good quality at all. (maybe the newer block is) The card entry system was a major problem all the time. The cleanliness leaves quite a bit desired. There were layers of dust on for example the towel rail fixing in the bathroom and on the shelves in the wardrobe. Mattrasses are well overdue for a change out.

Breakfast was very basic. Instant coffee is just a disgrace. The hotel restaurant offers good food, but not the best. The hotel staff is generally very pleasant, especially Lamin at breakfast and also the pool staff.

The restaurant next door (I think it is called JAAMA) is actually much better in terms of quality, charm and price - recommend the Prawn Kebab.

The "German" way of securing sunbeds if very much present.

Bumsters on the beach are just a major irritation after a while. The beach is very good, but you need to be pretty good if you want to swim. The Atlantic is pretty rough.

You can get better deals if you are willing to fly another 2 hours to the Caribbean, with a lot more choice in terms of flights.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frudle
Reviewed March 30, 2009

This is a great value hotel with a fantastic location on the beach. The grounds and pool area are stunning; immaculately kept and well stocked with flora and fauna. We saw a greater variety of exotic birds in the hotel grounds than at the nature reserve!

The rooms were very basic, but clean and a good size. The staff were great.

Trips: We visited Serekunda Market which was interesting, Lamin Lodge (beautiful), Abuko Nature Reserve (fantastic to feed the monkeys) and we visited a Nursery School in Fajikunda. This is a charity school set up by a lady in the UK, anything you can take for them, especially toys, would be gratefully received. We had fantastic guide and driver, reliable, so knowledgeable and fun to be around. If anyone is travelling to the area pm me if you want their details.

Eating: The hotel breakfast is mediocre, make sure you ask for your eggs to be made fresh (the poached eggs were very good). Dinner in the hotel grounds is good value, but there are many other restaurants within a short taxi ride to choose from.

Bumsters were not nearly as irritating as I feared they may be, having a guide around really helped with this as well as it being fascinating to hear about Gambian life and culture.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hazzles78
Reviewed March 28, 2008

We think that the Bijilo Beach hotel is just about the optimum hotel in The Gambia at the moment (spring 2008). We went specifically looking for a beach holiday. We didn’t want to be in a crowded area with cheap bars, shops selling tat, false native experiences, etc. On the other hand we did want a bit of comfort and facilities for a decent beach holiday.

Bijilo Beach has everything that we wanted. It’s not too big, but there are enough people around so you don’t feel isolated. The room was good, spacious, fitted out with everything you might want including a couple of easy chairs and a table. There was a spacious safe. Everything worked, room and bathroom. The place was kept very clean, right down to sweeping any sand out daily. There was a drying rack outside on the balcony plus two chairs and a table.

Our room overlooked the pool and the beach; most of the rooms do. The sun set right in front of us. The pool is a fair size, you can certainly swim lengths. The sun deck surrounding it was an appropriate size. There are enough sun beds to go around with a fair number of umbrellas, tables and chairs. Someone is on duty from early morning to sunset and he’ll get you a bed or umbrella if you can’t find one (the hotel has loads of spares). The gardens are well maintained and people are quietly working on them all day long.

Alternatively you can go down to the beach lounging area, and again there are plenty of beds and umbrellas and someone looks after you. The beach is fabulous. I’ll say that again. The beach is fabulous. You‘d go a long way and pay a lot of money to better it. It‘s sandy, wide and shallow. The waves roll in and … it‘s warm!. There‘s staff around to keep an eye on things. There are a couple of juice bars and a beach shop. A bit up the coast are a loads of hotels in Senegambia. Forget the beaches there. They are full of shells and there‘s a ridge you have to struggle over to get to the sea.

The Bijilo Beach restaurant is just about the best, spacious and well furnished and a fine location overlooking the sea. Evening meals are excellent, generous and not expensive. The lunches are OK too. The staff are attentive and well trained. There‘s entertainment every night (I suppose they stop doing that once the season is over). You can walk down to Senegambia (couple of kilometres) and visit the restaurants there, but they’re very ordinary and you wonder why you didn’t use your own.

Negatives? We didn’t find the breakfasts particularly inspiring, although the bread is great. There’s a little store just outside the hotel which has things you might want to buy by way of water, holiday bits and pieces, drink, picketed and tinned food. However there’s no fresh food, nor is there any round about.

If you want to go out and about on your own, there are tourists taxis outside the gate, or you can walk up to the drive and flag down a cheaper local taxi. There’s very little hassle outside the Bijilo Beach, either outside the main gates or on the beach. You really notice the difference if you go up to Senegambia. Hassle every few yards *.

You’ll love Bijilo Beach hotel if you don’t want too posh, but posh enough.

* The hassle lads are just selling. They can be annoying but they are never dangerous. You can deal with hassle very easily. Always smile. Shake a hand if offered. Ignore questions (“It’s a secret”) and close the conversation quickly (“We don‘t need any help“, “Have a nice day”). If they persist, stop and say something like “I’m sorry, we’re having a private conversation”. Keep smiling. Gambia is one of the safest countries on Earth.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple