Bijilo Beach Hotel
  • Pool
Sarges Hotel(Kololi)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have just spent nine days in bliss although it was the end of the season and very quiet I love this hotel, thankyou Foday for listening to my anal chat regarding the Karcher window washer! pleasant grounds, cheeky monkeys, brilliant pool man. The sea views are amazing... hopefully I can return later on in the year thankyou for a lovely stay.

Susan A Taylor

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are more expensive..... and front of hotel a little busy... all in all most rooms have a pleasant outlook and none are no more than a few minutes from the beach.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susantaylor262
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed at the Bijilo in February. This was my third trip to The Gambia. Previously staying at a smaller hotel. As a solo traveller, I was worried that a larger hotel such as the Bijilo might have been a bit to impersonal for my liking. However, this did not prove to be the case, other guests and especially the staff made myself feel very welcome. I was also surprised by the size of the room, it was larger than I expected, and comfortable. Had one problem with the shower on my first night, the rail where you hang the shower on was broken, I did not report this immediately, but had someone knocking on my door the following day to fix the problem, so housekeeping must have reported this. The grounds of the hotel are nice, someone reported in a previous post on trip advisor that the birdlife in the grounds was very good. I can confirm this, seeing many different species not previously seen before. Breakfast was always an unhurried affair, this being mostly buffet, plus an omelette chef. I think the whole hotel had a relaxed unhurried feeling to it which made it perfect for relaxation. Entertainment was laid on every evening, however this was the only hit and miss affair. The African cultural bands were particularly spectacular, but oh my god some of the entertainment was just to lame for myself and I think also for the other guests as well. This needs improving. The hotel lends itself particularly well to the more discerning traveller, who is out for a relaxing time, with perhaps a bit of sightseeing during the day. It is not the sort of hotel you would stay in if your only interest was to go drinking and partying on the strip each evening. The beach area is nice, but I cannot comment to much on this because I spent most of my time within the hotel grounds, mostly chatting to the staff who were lovely, thank you all the staff who made my stay so nice and special. I could name names, but I think you all know who you are, however a special thanks must go to Essa who I spent many hours chatting to, also to all the staff who started to teach myself some Wolof phrases. I think at some stage I will return to this hotel, and I hope it is within the next year.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank mnbHolmfirth
Reviewed March 28, 2013

stayed this hotel 1 month hope to go for 3 months end of year small and friendly stayed many hotels in gambia over many years and this is paradise right on beach lovely big rooms sea views friendly staff

Room Tip: would have been happy with any of the rooms will be going back
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chris B
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Personally I like smaller hotels, where you get to know the staff and they know you. Instead of those unpersonal big hotels with hundreds of rooms.
If you like these kind of hotels, this is the one in Gambia.
Staff is very friendly, although some of them try to convince you to go to their houses to sponsor, every day again.
I booked a suite with ocean view, which was great. Perfect view, large 4 piece room and a hypermodern shower. Which didn't work. But hey, this is Africa, right ? :-)
The breakfast is ok, nothing more. A cook (the lookalike of Tupac) serves eggs at your choice, which is a good thing, because there's not much more.
I like to take lunch or diner in different places, so I only ate there once. The food was ok.
There's a nice pool, a very small walk of 1 minute towards the beach, where you can have massage.
But then there are the bumsters ! Whether you go out of the hotel at the back or in the front, they are there to annoy you. At the beach, they come to sell you (delicious) juices or fruitsalades (loved it !) and in front of the hotel they try to convince you to take their taxi. Watch out with the prices ! To Senegambia it's 50 dalasi, not more. To the airport 600.

Overal : if I would go back to Gambia, I would stay in the same hotel again.

Room Tip: For a few dalasi more, you can book a suite. Don't hesitate, just do it.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Henk D
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one week over the New Year. The staff & local people were very friendly. The managers son was staying at the hotel at the same time, a very polite guy who took the time to discuss the local area & to make sure our stay was a happy one. In the evenings we traveled the short distance into Senegambia & had some outstanding meals (lovely tasting food). On a couple of occasions we had our evening meal in the hotel, the food was very good. We made friends with a local taxi driver & used him to take us out most evenings. We asked him to take us on a day out visiting some of the local attractions & markets. It was a treat to sample the local culture, the heat, the smells & sounds of the African towns & villages. I would recommend this hotel & area of Gambia.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple