“Great place to stay”

Coco Ocean Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Bijilo
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed nov to dec 2012 with friends. Hotel great and on the whole staff lovely. I did however have a problem with theft from the safe over what seemed a few days. Both myself and my friend had money missing. Be aware of your safe code and do not open safe when staff in room. I suggest a new code every day . To date our problem has not been solved.
Mary and staff all did their best to help and we thank them. Even after the problem I would return to coco ocean the setting is wonderful, to enjoy your holiday to the full just be careful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 12, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect on the edge of a far from busy beach our room was spotless and way better than we had expected the hotel had a taxi service which was reasonably priced you could get cheaper if you were looking for excitement (we did a few times and believe me no brakes and seeing the road through the floor was exciting) We did not eat much in the hotel it was a little expensive and we usually prefer to go local there was a huge amount of different places to eat 15 minutes walk along a deserted beach. The only dissapointment was breakfast dont get me wrong it was'nt bad but if you like a huge breakfast to keep you going till mid afternoon you wont get it here. Now heres the thing it was not unusual to see praying mantis in the room this did not bother me and my son found it fascinating but if all insects are "bugs" then you will have cause to complain though bug free hotels in Gambia may not actually exist, also when having a quiet drink on the balcony a fruit bat appeared out of the darkness and perched if thats the word for hanging upside down, in the tree only a few feet away from me that was a fantastic experience for me but if huge bats spook you keep off the balcony at night. The only slight complaint was that they had no record of us at the airport having booked a transfer which meant we ended up being transferred in two cars and Wifey and son actually arrived over half an hour after me which was a bit of a worrying start, everything was ok after that though

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Matt T
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have just returned from our annual trip to The Gambia. We stayed here last year - even in the same room as we love Gambia so much ( beach house room 72). What you must remember is that The Gambia is like a third world country, so if you want total luxury -- go to the Maldives or the like, however if you want to experience a whole different culture and be smitten -- then Gambia it is! At the Coco ocean this year 1. The safe only worked sometimes, 2. The lock was u/s on the patio door, 3. They forgot to collect us from the airport, 4. I had to be up at 6 in the morning to secure a sunbed by the pool ( beach houses),5. small bugs in the room. to name but a few things !! The question is will I return --- hell yes!! I did a bit of moaning and most of the things got sorted just wish they old do something about the unacceptable exchange rate and room charges! Now please don't let me put you off this place as there is no doubt that other places are exactly the same and can vouch for that. Without question this is the best place in The Gambia and well worth a visit. We went with my daughter who also loves the place and the people, she is sixteen. I am already looking forward to my next return and hope you all try it for yourself, one word of warning -- if you do you will be hooked!! Don't want to just single out individuals for there great service here as there are so many, but trust me most requests are dealt with very efficiently and without any hassle. Well done Coco Ocean see you soon.

Room Tip: The beach houses offer more room and a more private pool.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MULCASTER2
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Every year and I mean every year ,I look forward to the Christmas break,not for the presents.
Because it means I'm coming back to my favourite hotel
I was there when the hotel opened and every year it gets better and better
Have I complained yes,did they sort it ,YES ,and thats the mark of a great hotel.
The resort is amazing
The staff the most helpful in the world
The spa (which I used everyday)stunning.
The weather unbelievable
and if I could give it a higher mark I would
Already booked for next year
Farooud. what you have created is the envy of Africa

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nigel R
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Food is excellent & staff is so so friendly. The rooms are very clean. You have no idea you are in Africa. If you talk to locals they will also tell you this is the nest in Gambia. The staff is cleaning all day. We complaint about a room because of noise of neighbours and got without a problem an other one. If people rate this one below average then I would like to know what is good enough for them. For us this was an amazing expierence.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nadia W
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Coco ocean is amazing if it's rest and relaxation u are after. We stayed in the penthouse suite which was very spacious and also had dinner on the beach twice. The ladies at the spa were helpful and a trip was organized for us to the local crocodile farm. The staff were incredibly helpful and the food was yummy!

Drawback, the insects everywhere. I would do it again as I preferred it to all the other resorts I spied on

Room Tip: Beach club villas!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Renua
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Recently returned from Coco Ocean, my hubby and I went there to celebrate our 4 year wedding anniversary and my birthday. We had a truly relaxing time. I was impressed at how friendly and welcoming staff were and they were always willing to help. The resort organized dinner on the beach for us to celebrate our wedding anniversary, that was very romantic. There are different restaurants to eat from and the food was very nice. The spa is very relaxing but nothing special. The rooms are very large and have everything you will need.

I did not give a 5 rating because I felt the resort cold do more about the tropical insects, they were every where and very annoying. It's not a resort with a lot of entertainment as its unique selling point is rest and relaxation. Not for small or restless kids either.

Breakfast is amazing, feast for a king!
Would I go back? Yes!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bijilo
Kairaba Beach Hotel
#2 of 9 in Kololi
Gambia Coral Beach Hotel & Spa
Ocean Bay Hotel & Resort
Lemon Creek Hotel Resort

Been to Coco Ocean Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!