“Friendly & relaxing with charming hosts”
Review of Etusis Lodge

Etusis Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Karibib B&B and Inns
UK
“Friendly & relaxing with charming hosts”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

we stayed here for one night on our way to Etosha, we had a tent as opposed to a bungalow, which was quirky and nicely furnished. The en-suite shower and toilet facilities were clean and tidy and best of all, the shower was powerful.

We had a friendly welcome by Monika and Herbert and both were extremely helpful. We also had electric hook-up for our fridge which was helpful!!
Dinner was lovely in a peaceful setting with green lit palm trees, overlooking the mountains - all very serene.
We were being kept company by Paul the Jack Russell, he followed us around and sat on the chair on our stoepie by the tent. What a darling little dog! xx

On a down side: the beds in our tent were most uncomfortable, you could feel the springs digging into your skin with every move which wasn't nice, so we ended up having an awful night's sleep, which was a real shame as we had a long journey ahead of us the following day - and desperately needed a good night's sleep!!

When we left after a sumptuous breakfast, I managed to leave our South African extension lead behind in the tent - this wasn't discovered until after a long journey when we arrived at Etosha. We wanted to charge our camera batteries and phones. My heart sank all the way to my ankles and I started feeling very sick, teary and faint.. what would we do without this lead with 3 more weeks of travelling to do??..We made a desperate call to Etusis and Herbert confirmed that the lead was indeed in our tent. BUT.... as luck would have it, there were 3 people staying at Etusis that night who were also travelling to Etosha the following day. He would give them our lead and we could collect it from reception at their lodge from appx 3pm onwards. This we did, and a huge huge thanks to Mr & Mrs K.. you saved my bacon! We all need a little luck from time to time - and OMG, how lucky was I that day?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We had a homey & relaxed stay at Etusis. We received a warm welcome & goodbye from Monika. Location is very central. The Kudu & Farmhouse were in impeccable order. We appreciated the assistance rendered during our stay. Improvements: More directions on the gravel road; small lights along the walking path (could be very dark at night); light at braai-area for more visibility of meat on the rooster (farmhouse); bigger fridge to keep food/drinks cold (farmhouse); arrange alternative for swimming if pool is not in working condition. Stay blessed!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Almelo, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I was welcomed by Monika, Herbert and the two doggies. I felt right at home. We had tea and homemade cookies and I got info on the lodge and the area. I am an avid hiker so Monika and Herbert told me about the trails I could hike. I stayed at Etusis for 3 nights and it was worth it.
The environment is very special, rocky and arid. On my walks I saw the Hartmann's Mountain Zebra's, Dassies, Steenbok and klipspringer. I heard the babboons but was not able to see them. You can hike in the area as long as you want and
the views are stunning (you can even see the Namib Mountains in the distance).
The bungalow I stayed in was beautiful. Everything you need is there. I stayed at Etusis end of october when it is very hot during daytime and I used the fan sometimes which is adequate, no aircon needed because the bugnalows are build in such a way that it keeps most of the heat out.
Everything in the bungalow is spotless and cleaned needly every day. There is also a mini bar and a nice seat in front of the bungalow and in the afternoon it was so wonderful to sit there with a glass of wine and enjoy the environment. Sometimes there were warthogs around but always a lot of birds, many different species but also skinks and lizzards.
Monika and Herbert were always around to answer questions etc. Food was perfect, nice breakfast and dinners, always fresh and prepared with care. Monika baked her bread in a kind of box with foil on the sides and a glass cover and the sun did all the work. I often had nice chats with Monika who told me a lot about the lodge and the environment. On an afternoon Herbert took me and two other guests on a game drive. We saw the Hartmann's zebra's again and also impala, dassies, klipspringer and Herbert also explained about the trees and shrubs. We had a wonderful sundowner while sitting on the remains of an old temple with a stunning view.............
I have been looking for quite some time to find a nice lodge not far from windhoek, to stay for 3 nights with enough hiking possibilities and I am so very happy I chose for Etusis................
Thanks Monika, Herbert and staff for my memorable stay at your beautiful place and I really hope I might get another opportunity again to stay at your lodge!

Room Tip: All bungalows are great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Amstelveen, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We have stayed at Etusis on two different occasions. The first time as a couple with a teenage daughter (3 nights)and the second time with our elderly parents.(2 nights). Every familymember felt at home and had a great stay. We went for walks, made scenic drives with Herbert(the host)and our daughter went horseriding.The landscape is incredible. Herbert and Monica are warm,helpful hosts. We stayed at Etusis both times at the start of our trip and they provided us with great traveltrips and made reservations for us. Both times we were sorry to leave!

Room Tip: The ensuite tents have a wonderful view,the one nearest to the main building a little less.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cape Town
Reviewed June 26, 2012

If you love horses, big skies and the wind in your hair, then Etusis is for you. Words can’t do justice to the beauty and spirit of this wonderful place, with its pristine plains as far as the eye can see, grassland, bushveld, mountains and riverbeds. Several adjoining farms - including a mountain range - make up its 21,000 hectare wilderness area where game ranges freely across the boundaries. It’s a working farm and there are no game fences, so sightings aren’t guaranteed, but on our rides we encountered springbok, impala, kudu, baboons and mountain zebra, saw fresh leopard spoor and heard jackals at night.

Courteous lodge managers Monika and Herbert welcomed us with fresh farm milk in the fridge (they also make a delicious feta cheese). My sister and I stayed in the lovely old farmhouse overlooking the plains which sleeps six but we had it to ourselves. It’s self-catering and reasonably priced and we bought supplies with us from the supermarket in Omaruru. Not luxurious, but comfortable, spacious and spotlessly clean, it’s simply decorated in a slightly quirky, refreshingly authentic Namibian style. It was great to find something that hadn’t lost its character through being ‘done up’. There’s a long stoep at the front for sipping coffee and watching the sunrise, or downing a cold beer at the end of the day, and a beautiful braai area that’s big enough to throw a party. There’s a cow shed behind the house, and a duck pond and the stables on one side. It’s blissfully quiet and totally private and we fell asleep to the soft sounds of the horses as they grazed in the bush below the house.

The main thatched lodge is a three-minute walk away, surrounded by thatched chalets and luxury tented accommodation discretely tucked into the pretty bushveld garden of aloes, thorntrees and indigenous plants. If you don’t want to ride, there are many hiking trails of varying lengths from a simple stroll to an extremely challenging 30km hike, game drives to go on and a swimming pool to cool off in after the day’s exertions. All the stresses of work and reality were left far behind. I think I inhaled more oxygen in four days than I do normally in a year in the city, and for the duration of our stay became, most uncharacteristically, a morning person!

The reason we went there in the first place? For the riding, of course! The promise of great landscapes, horses, wildlife and no hunting were an irresistible combination. We were very fortunate to have resident teacher and trainer Gisi to take us out, and she was extraordinary – gentle, careful, considerate, and with an incredible love for and understanding of horses and horsemanship. She plans the rides according to your experience, of any length from an hour to all day. She will also put together overnight trails with sleepovers at camps to suit your itinerary. The horses, mostly surefooted Basotho ponies, were glossy, good-natured and responsive. Gisi inspired us with her insights, put my slightly nervous sister at ease, gently building up her confidence, and taught me new skills which culminated in exhilarating canters along dry river beds which have had me dreaming of returning to Etusis ever since.

Room Tip: All the accommodation is lovely and suits all budgets.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank CapeTownTravelcat
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2010

We stayed as family at Etusis Lodge in August - it was undoubtedly the best stop on our three week long trip.
We were made to feel so welcome, the food was fantastic, and the landscape is breathtaking!
We were gutted to only be staying for 1 night - we will be back!

• Stayed August 2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karibib
No photo provided
#5 of 35 in Swakopmund
Etosha Safari Camp
Etosha Safari Camp
#14 of 35 in Etosha National Park

Been to Etusis Lodge? Share your experiences!