“One of the highlights of our trip”
other travelers have booked this property
Saleh's Safari Camp, in the heart of Wadi Rum, at the foot of Jebel Khazali, wadirumtous start here!
in the heart of the Wadi Rum protected area family meals, outdoors, round the camp-fire
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Excellent
in the heart of the Wadi Rum protected area
family meals, outdoors, round the camp-fire
trekking and camel-riding are easy options from the camp
the setting is as natural and tranquil and protected as you can imagine
the bedouin symbol of hospitality is the coffee pot
We have just (late 2013) installed new showers and wash basins, at the desert camp
Wadi Rum is famous for its spectacular rock bridges
there's 4x4 transport from the camp in Rum village to the camp in the heart of the desert
Lawrence's spring where he washed and rested after the capture of Aqaba
And we're keen to introduce new ideas, when they can blend in without doing damage!!
Saleh Musa, his wife and family run the bedouin tent like a special guest house, plus they run tours
to the south of Rum, on the Saudi border is Jordan's highest mountain
preparing for a day's safari -- safe adventure for all ages
we have developed a unique 'behind the veil' tour for women only, to learn bedouin skills
a branch of the Hijaz railway runs close to Wadi Rum, cutting through virgin desert
climb up then roll down the blood orange sand-dunes of Rum
ancient inscriptions in many caves and canyons, believed to date from the Nabateans who build Petra
imagine waking up to this view
or settling down to sleep after the perfect, peaceful sunset
and, most important!!, two new, European-style loo/WC/toilet/lavatory, in a nearby stone building
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Portuguese first
Any
Marian K
“One of the highlights of our trip”
Reviewed October 27, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

We naturally expected Petra to be the number one highlight of our trip to Jordan but it was actually Wadi Rum that left us with most lingering memories. We were met by Saleh and his hospitable family that owns a house in the Rum village and also a relatively large Bedouin camp out in the desert. Tents are spacious, warm and comfortable and there are clean bathroom facilities with hot water. Overall, the camp is a good place for couples, families and groups of friends. The food served by Saleh's wife Alia was delicious. Obviously though, it is the dramatic landscape that provides the unforgettable, almost surreal experience as you will be taken for a jeep ride across the valley and its natural monuments (sandboarding or camel riding are possible too). We even climbed the Jebel Burdah's natural rock arch with Saleh's older brother Atiyak as a guide - it's certainly not something for the faint-hearted as you will often scramble on all fours across fairly steep rock sections but it can be done within 3-4 hours with no prior technical climbing expertise provided you are reasonably fit. Actually, I'm still smiling while writing about this well tempered man with a sandboard, 10 meters of rope and Dakar-like driving skills. The tour is well recommended if you can squeeze in a day or two in your itinerary. Wadi Rum is the kind of place that gradually draws you in.

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Liked best: Jebel Burdah climb
Traveling group: Friends
Friends getaway Families with young children
Deluv1ans
“Definitely worth an overnight.”
Reviewed October 23, 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

After spending a night in Saleh's camp (which really is all by itself in the desert), I think an overnight in Wadi Rum is an absolute necessity of even a short trip to Jordan. And I think finding somewhere, like Saleh's, that is really in the desert (and not the village) is key. Sleeping under the amazing stars with nobody within kilometers (other than Saleh's brother who is awesome and was also at the camp) is an experience that will stay with me for a long, long time.

Turning to the tour, Saleh speaks English pretty well and did a pretty good job showing me around on my 1:1 tour. It was a little awkward going just with him, but he was an interesting guide nevertheless and I'm glad I went by myself (he offered me a 10JD discount if I went also with a great family who was visiting at the same time) -- it gave me more freedom to spend as much time as I wanted in various places (although my sense is that there's a limited amount of personal tailoring that you can do without being pretty familiar with the area beforehand -- it's not like Saleh sat me down and walked me through the 20 options for the day, for example).

Saleh's dinner was very good (lunch was canned tuna on pita...which I found very satisfying in the beautiful /isolated canyon in which we ate), and he did seem better than the 1-2 other guides I ran into during my time there. It's hard to know if it's worth the premium (he was about 30JD more than some other tours I contacted), but I'd say unless you have a very good sense of another tour, this would be an excellent choice -- and well worth any premium if the alternative was to spend the night in the town.

Saleh was also helpful in arranging my transportation to/from the Israeli border and Petra. The cab prices and bus times shifted a bit as we talked, but the ultimate rates I got for the cabs were less than the "official" posted rates on the routes I took -- and the drivers were friendly and reliable (and spoke a little English-- although that was a bonus bc Saleh arranged everything so it would have been fine even if they hadn't).

All in all, I'd recommend this tour fairly strongly. It's not as polished as tours you might find in other countries, but I think that's part of its charm. Oh! And Saleh will take you sand boarding if you want, which is awesome and not a service provided by everyone.

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Management Response
Oct 27, 2014
thanks for the review NS -- though it's a bit frustrating! The guest contacted us the day before he arrived, we pulled out all the stops and gave him a great time . . . we always make it very very clear that Saleh specialises in families and small groups and we stress that he is expensive for travelers on their own but in return you get a totally personal, individual visit to Rum, not a mass tourism package in any way. For us it is always a 'defeat' when we get a 4 star review rather than the usual 5 star! On balance I think this review is helpful for potential visitors and pretty positive . . . if there are specific things NS that we could have done better for you please email us; we want to continue to be the best small camp in Wadi Rum!!
maria3a
Copenhagen, Denmark
“The highlight of our trip to Jordan!”
Reviewed October 23, 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

We wanted to spend a few days in Jordan to visit Wadi Rum, Petra and the Red Sea (Aqaba), and decided to enter Jordan through the Aqaba crossing from Israel and go first directly to Wadi Rum to spend 2 nights in the desert. This was the best decision we could have made! The bad sides were that we ONLY booked 2 nights and that everything else we visited in Jordan (including Petra) paled in comparison to the beauty and peace of Wadi Rum! :)
Saleh was an amazing organizer of our trip, and he arranged a taxi (thanks Abdullah!) for ALL our transfers during our time in Jordan, so everything was smooth and easy! We chose to spend 2 nights, including 1 full day with a jeep tour. The first night we were the only people in the camp, and Saleh himself cooked dinner for us which was really nice! The next day we toured the desert with his brother Atik, who I became a fan of! Atik took us everywhere we could possibly see in 1 day, including an amazing hike in the mountains (we saw purple sand!!) and sandboarding. Atik is also a great photographer so while we would climb a rock he would wait down with our camera to take photos of us up there. He also provided a really nice lunch for us after the long hike, even including tea which he made by starting a fire in the middle of the desert. The second night there were other guests and we all had an amazing dinner cooked by Saleh's wife, followed by a bedouin singing and drumming session. Unfortunately we had to leave very early the next day for our day trip to Petra...
I would strongly recommend this to anyone who goes to Jordan and wants to visit Wadi Rum. The camp is beautiful and comfortable q.b., considering the isolation (even showers with hot water, proper beds, and private rooms for couples!). The nights in the desert (the stars, the silence!) are something I will never forget, and the sunrises and sunsets are also definitely memorable! I can't wait to go back!! Thanks for a great time!

Bathroom cleanliness Service
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
natewapne...
“Authentic, Accommodating, and Honest”
Reviewed October 12, 2014 for a stay in October 2014
person found this review helpful

Saleh and his family run this beautiful camp, and it is truly a family run business, where Saleh and his wife treat you like family with delicious food and hospitality. His young children contribute as well. I truly felt like a friend rather than a tourist while staying with them.

Traveling group: Solo
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
Oct 13, 2014
. . . many thanks for this lovely review. . . it is exactly what we strive to achieve, in an eco-friendly, environmentally sustainable way . . . we are so happy you had such a nice time!
Stan t
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“excellent staff”
Reviewed October 9, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

From pick up, to drop off this is a true Bedouin experience in Jordan.
Having a good comparison to Oman and Dubai, the Jordanian experience has not been modernized.
Mr Salah and his wife do a great job to welcome you initially to their home before you embark on the energetic trip to see the mountain fresh water stream.
The Lunch on the way back is very filling and really hits the spot.
Our driver moussa was an excellent tour guide and we even managed to catch up with his father during the trip. He even made us tea at one point which was beautifully scented with fresh sage and brewed over the local dried shrubs.
The evening meal was delicious and comprised of nice chicken and rice and arabic mezzah.
Bit of advice would be to pick up some wine from Aqaba .(don't forget your bottle opener)
I believe there are more modern and more well equipped tents but i believe if you want a traditional wadi rum experience then Salah mosa and family are a winning formula.

Liked best: friendliness
Liked least: privacy for the shower
Traveling group: Young Children
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
Matthias7...
“unique experience”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

There is no better way to see Wadi Rum than with Saleh and his wife Aliah. Especially for a family with four kids (6 to 15 years) like us we could not have chosen better, as the children of Saleh became friends with our kids and played together in the afternoons and evenings. Wadi Rum is a place unique in the world and Saleh arranged unforgetable Jeep Tours, camel riding and hiking for us. And the nights under the silence of the desert and the stars together with our hosts at the bonfire topped it all.

Liked best: everything
Liked least: to have to say good by in the end
Traveling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Large groups
Adamspenc...
Houston, TX
“The highlight of our entire vacation!”
Reviewed August 24, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

We are two Americans who spent a week in Jordan. We'd already booked hotels in Petra and Amman for the entire stay.
I had tried getting in touch with Saleh via his website, but Tudor (who operates the site) was a bit slow in getting back to us. I wasn't sure if we had a reservation at all, so I decided (standing in Petra!) to call Saleh directly from my cell phone, and everything was set. He arranged a taxi from our hotel to Wadi Rum for the following morning. I told him we could come back the same day, as we already had a hotel for the night. He insisted it would be much better to stay overnight at the Bedouin camp and return to Petra the following morning. I wasn't sure, but I agreed. I am so happy we did!!

We arrived in Wadi Rum, and the taxi driver took us directly to Saleh's House in Rum Village. Saleh was welcoming and brought us tea and snacks; to be honest we were a bit unsure what the schedule would be, and were thinking "when are we gonna go to the desert?" But rest assured, soon enough, Saleh had driven us to a ruined Nabatean temple near the Village, and then afterwards dropped us off for an hour-long hike to Lawrence Spring (a natural spring inside of the mountain). We soaked in the beautiful view, and filled up our water bottles at the spring, as Saleh had told us the water is perfect for drinking.
We then drove into Wadi Rum on Saleh's 4x4 truck, passing many gorgeous rock formations.
Saleh had one other client this day, a German family with four children (who had been off riding camels in the morning), and we all met for lunch (which was cooked right in front of us), in the shadow of a huge rock. Lunch was delicious!! We then parted ways with the Germans, and Saleh and his son drove us around to many natural rock "bridges" - most of which you can climb! We handed our phones to Saleh and his son, who took photos for us. After seeing all the amazing bridges, we then went to a narrow/deep canyon, where there are fascinating carvings of people and animals (and some Arabic writing) into the rock.
We had told Saleh we wanted to ride camels, and he made it happen. We rode for an hour or so to another natural spring, for the camels to drink, and then rode on to Saleh's camp.
Saleh's wife, Alia, started preparing dinner (which is cooked in a hole in the ground, and covered with sand for several hours!). Dinner was absolutely incredible (roasted chicken and potatoes and onions, along with a myriad of tabbouleh and hummus and other side-dishes); it was the best meal in our entire stay in Jordan, seriously.
We shared dinner with Alia and the German family, who were lovely. Following dinner, we all sipped on Alia's mint tea (which is so tasty it's addictive; we couldn't get enough!), while Alia played a drum and sang traditional Bedouin songs. We took turns drumming and singing and dancing, and laughing hysterically. The German children sung us a song they'd put together, and it was the perfect ending to a wonderful day.
When it came time to go to bed, Saleh will have a tent set up for you (there's even an electrical outlet inside!). However, we chose to sleep outside under the stars. The temperature gets cool/nice at night-time, and the view was incredible. And after climbing and camel-riding all day, you will have no trouble falling asleep!
The experience with Saleh and his family was, truly, the highlight of our entire trip to Jordan. Part of me wishes we would've cancelled a night somewhere else and spent another evening in Wadi Rum.
It was one of those experience where, when Saleh told us our total for the stay, we were so happy to pay - because it was truly worth it, and immensely enjoyable.
If you want to see (and enjoy) Wadi Rum, your search is over -- call Saleh!!

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing