All reviewskids clubrock climbingset menutreasure huntevery mealmonitor lizardsdining areasno air consound of the wavesopen airbintan ferry terminalmosquito netheaven on earthsea breezefamily holidayopen conceptpaddle boarding
Reviewed August 31, 2017

We recently spent four days on Nikoi. From the time we arrived at the ferry terminal we had the most fantastic experience. All the staff were excellent and went out of their way to help. My husband and I, and our two daughters (13 and 9), loved the beach and pool. All the activities were great (especially the rock climbing). The food was wonderful. Each meal was better than the one before. The kids meals for my 9yo were excellent also.
We could have stayed forever!!!

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Lesley S
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2017

Thank you so much for your very kind review. So pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay in particular the meals and service. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again one day.

Reviewed August 29, 2017 via mobile

All I can say is I concur with the previous well written review.
I visisted with my 6 yr old son and husband and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Fabulous location in which to take in nature and marvel at its seclusion and fabulous staff.

This place is not for everyone but if you take the plunge and go with it you will experience an amazing retreat/holiday for body and mind.

We hope to return at some point. A big thank you to all the staff who were lovely a special mention to Leon, Hadi, Chenhe, mutiara and Angus and Dave at kids club.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your very kind review. So pleased you enjoyed what is so special about Nikoi. The staff you have mentioned will be very pleased to read of your acknowledgement. Thanks again.

Reviewed August 28, 2017

We enjoyed a 3 night stay on Nikoi Island in one of their 3 bedroom villas.

Our entire trip was seamless. We were greeted at Bintan Ferry Terminal and whisked through immigration quickly to our personal transfer car. Our driver was friendly and we travelled across Bintan (it did take 45 minutes - if you get motion sickness, especially after the Bintan Ferry, ask to sit in the front). The boat transfer onto the island was safe and fast, around 20 minutes.

First impressions are everything and our first impression of Nikoi was truly amazing. Not a piece of rubbish was seen on the island the entire time we stayed - and the beach was also incredibly pristine - not an easy feat given the proximity to Bintan. All the staff already knew our names and addressed each of the children by name for the entire trip.

Our Villa was made up of 3 separate buildings (which really was too big for a family of 5 - it would be well suited to an extended family group). The villas are traditional style - open with no "walls" but amazingly very few mosquitoes or even ants (compared with our home in Malaysia where you leave a plate of watermelon out and a couple of hours later it is covered in ants, here you could leave a glass out all night with a soft drink and not an ant to be seen!). Each bed has it's own mosquito net which only adds to the ambience of the villa. Not having a tv blaring is also a blessing, and there are small portable radios that you can sync with your phone to listen to music.

The famous kids club has such a great reputation for a reason. The staff have a number of activities set each day, and are more than happy to involve your children if they/you would like, without being overly pushy. Kids club activities included a daily "jetty jump" off the jetty, swimming out to a floating pontoon, movies each night. I have to admit our kids can be quite addicted to their ipads and we banned them during our stay (we didn't even pack them) - not once did they complain that they were bored.

I have read through some of the "terrible" and "poor" reviews for a laugh and have to say - if your definition of 5 start is slippers, a bathrobe, tv in your room, hairdryer, fridge and mini bar, as well as air con - this place is definitely not for you and you are missing the point. If you enjoy unwinding on your own pristine beach, friendly staff, a completely relaxed atmosphere where you can enjoy walking to dinner barefoot and a few cocktails/glasses of wine or beer then you won't be disappointed.

Can't wait to return - thank you for having us.

PS - this is a very child friendly island so yes, there are a lot of kids around.

Per the recommendation on the Nikoi website, it is not so easy to enjoy with very young child (I think they suggest minimum age of 4 years).

If you prefer a retreat that is less family oriented, I recommend that you try the new "couples only" island that the Nikoi team have opened, Cempedak .

Room Tip: All rooms have sea views and are facing the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2017, traveled with family
2  Thank MamaBear2011
relaxedby, Owner at Nikoi Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2017

Thank you for your lovely review. It is wonderful to read your comments for what Nikoi is and what it is not. Thanks for taking the time to explain this. We are so pleased to hear your children enjoyed the kids club so much. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back some day.

Reviewed August 26, 2017 via mobile

We stayed here 3 nights. The staff are excellent. But the price you pay is way too much for what you receive.

Be warned that the food included in the price you pay is a fixed set meal and tiny portions, and often too different for certain palates. For e.g., the steaks are rarer than what vampires eat. Even after requesting to redo ours to well done, it was merely charred and returned still rare. You can end up going hungry.

For breakfast they had some yum things such as quiches. However we need our protein so asked for boiled eggs every morning - and the hotel charged us for this. Really? Bizarre. Also chargeable is your morning espresso. The only memorable dishes were the banana leaf fish and the chicken.

The huts are great but you can pretty much hear what's going on next door. One morning we were awoken with a baby bawling at 6am. She wouldn't stop until 7.30.

All in all I think it's highly overrated considering the price and the longish journey from Singapore. I also believe it is morally wrong on the part of the owners to be holding you to ransom with respect to food and basic things such as boiled eggs and coffee.

Easier to fly to Phuket, Krabi etc. We won't be coming back.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Explore591654

Thanks for your feedback. I have so say I am surprised by some of your comments and for the benefit of other readers I would like to provide a little more context as I think your criticism is unfair without it. We serve average sized portions but our staff will always invite guests to have seconds. We have always found this works well and avoids food waste. We did not charge you for the 10 boiled eggs that the two of you ate at breakfast but did charge S$5++ you for the additional 10 boiled eggs and toast that you asked to be delivered to your room at 5pm each afternoon. I am told you were informed of this at the time you ordered it. I sorry that you found it "bizarre" to be charged S$5++ for it but hard to see how we made a profit out of it. As for the steak I am told by our staff you ordered it "rare". A "rare" steak is red and soft in the center and as a result bloody. When your steaks were delivered to your table you then asked for them to be cooked "well done". You may not appreciate it but this makes it difficult for our kitchen team as unfortunately the cooking process for a "rare" steak and a "well done" steak is not the same. Our steaks are from Australia and are thickly cut and do indeed lend themselves to being cooked rare but we still follow the standard "doneness" as requested by the guest at the time they were ordered. I am sorry we were not able to serve it as you desired.

You are correct to point out that the espresso coffee is charged but it is a shame you did not also point out that we provide freshly ground filter coffee and tea free of charge both in the rooms and at the bar. In my experience it is common practice for hotels to charge for espresso coffee and therefore to suggest that we hold guests to ransom is unfair particularly when a free option is provided. The espresso coffee is a single origin shade grown local coffee farmed by a small co-operative in Aceh, Indonesia. We have put a lot of effort into this and have found that guests are happy to pay for the extra quality whereas many others are happy with the very good filter coffee and tea that we provide free of charge.

I am pleased to hear you think it is easier to fly to Phuket and Krabi and do hope you have many enjoyable holidays there. Thanks for taking the time to post your review hopefully others will now find it helpful.

Reviewed August 7, 2017

We spent 3 days on the island, and this was my return visit.
I did enjoy the freedom on the island, and it's great to just spend the day snorkelling and canoeing!
However, service this time was just a tad less polished than before. Some utensils were not clean, food items would often take 45 minutes to arrive. Coffee took 30 minutes to come to our table and some lunches lasted 2.5 hours.

However, barring that, it was still the same amazing Nikoi I was familiar with, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lrjk1985

Thanks your for the kind review. I am sorry to hear the service in the restaurant was slow. I have discussed this with our team and we will work on improving on these areas. I am pleased to hear that it was an amazing experience. We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back some day. Thanks again for taking the time to post your review.