“A superb cottage - thoroughly recommend it”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
John F
Leeds, United Kingdom
“A superb cottage - thoroughly recommend it”
Reviewed July 15, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

This was such a fantastic break from when we were met by the owners and given a tour of the cottage to that moment when we reluctantly posted the keys back through the letterbox and began the journey home.

It's a wonderful cottage; you know the type...where you feel comfortable, at ease and well looked after.

A home-made loaf, bottle of wine, sweet chilli jam and fruitcake were all waiting on the kitchen table and as extra welcoming touches, they got full marks.

From the four-poster bed to the small, enclosed garden off the kitchen, there were delights to mark this out as a great place to come to unwind. Everything worked how it should - even to the point where we inadvertently tested the smoke alarm when grilling the sausages from the butcher next door.

The cottage is centrally located in the village across from the Cross Keys pub - a friendly local with Cornish Doom bar ale on tap and the outstanding pizza from Stable Hearth at the back of the property.

Local walks along the river Tees or to neighbouring villages like Ingleton, Piercebridge or Winston make this an idyllic spot with plenty on the doorstep and you can hop in the car to the likes of Raby Castle or Barnard Castle.

There is no phone signal in the village - which may or may not disconcert you - but for us, it wasn't a problem and seemed to sum up how we could disconnect from the stresses of work and the normal things that tug at our attention.

Overall, wholeheartedly recommend both the cottage itself and the friendly village to anyone looking to relax and explore this corner of County Durham.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Nancy F
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“Amazing!!! Definetly Recommend”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

I found this cottage to be absolutely stunning. Every little detail was though of. And the welcome package was a real treat. Loved the décor and feel to the cottage and the owner was very polite greeting us.
Loved the fact it was within walking distance of the local shop & pub - all the locals were very welcoming and lovely to chat too.
Great walks along the river and local areas.
Only 20 minutes drive and you are in the Yorkshire Dales. Which I loved.
Having holidayed here as a child it was great coming back to the area.
Cannot recommend this place enough.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: All of it
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
michaelms...
London, United Kingdom
“Terrifying Experience”
Reviewed August 5, 2013 for a stay in July 2013
people found this review helpful

We had travelled to the North from London as it was my Mothers 80th Birthday and so had a lovely celebration weekend planned with the rest of my family (I come from Darlington originally and grew up in this village)
We couldn't have chosen a more perfect weekend as it happened to be in the midst of one of the hottest July's on record. The weather was absolutely stunning, the countryside and surrounding views amongst the best I can fathom in memory - clear blue skies and lazy summer evenings. My girlfriend was in heaven as we befriended a young lad with a beautiful horse who literally rode past and as we exclaimed with admiration he paused, swung his leg over and handed her the reins! Unbelievable! After initially checking she could ride he told her to take it for a walk around the village, we bought him a pint for his generosity!
Having spent time at Aysgarth Falls with my large family and taking my nephews into the river for a swim followed by chilled chicken and some cold Chablis we all chided that this was possibly the best weekend we had ever spent together - sheer bliss!
Until the following morning...
We had decided to have a lie in the next morning (a rare treat for us as we work in central London and rise before 6am daily) There was a knock at the door and we went to answer it and there were two people standing rather officiously which we surmised were the owners. We opened the door and said hello in a friendly manner only to be met with the most disturbing and irrational abuse I have ever encountered aimed directly at my self and my partner which was both shocking and upsetting for both of us.
It transpired that we had to vacate the cottage by 10am on the day of departure something that as my sister had booked the property we had simply overlooked. (I would like to point out at this point that the time was only just 10.45am)
We explained to the owners that this wouldn’t be a problem as we had packed our things and we were almost ready to go in any case but the torrent of abuse continued from the owner to such an extent that he became almost apoplectic with rage, the man was clearly unable to articulate himself and out of nowhere to my horror he punched me in the side of the head – it was really very disturbing and our dogs were shaking with fear.
We had no other choice than to call the local police and once they had arrived and had spoken to both parties they could see quite clearly that this man had no grounds for this behavior and asked me whether I wanted to press charges which if we had lived in the area then we would have done so immediately but as we lived in London the hassle of having to drive 250 miles to attend a court case with our busy schedules would be a complete waste of time. We just wanted to get home as quickly as possible.
We are horrified and appalled by the way this owner behaved and in the way he clumsily articulated himself using his fists instead of just politely reminding us that we needed to be out of the cottage by a certain time, this was an honest mistake by my partner and this type of draconian behavior is simply not acceptable in a civilized society. We just hope people read this review before booking this cottage - we loved the cottage but the disgraceful way we have been treated has left rather a bitter taste in our mouths and quite frankly this guy is lucky that it was me he decided to punch on this day because had it been anyone else then he would have got his comeuppance in rather a different way.........

How easy was key pickup/access to the property?
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Hemel Hempstead - Hertfordshire
Reviewed December 5, 2012 for a stay in October 2012
person found this review helpful

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
Check in / front desk Service
Would I recommend this vacation rental to my best friend?
Recommended for:
A romantic getaway
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing