Review Highlights
Car rental close to Auckland airport.

Great friendly service. Cheap car rental close to airport. You can catch the yellow bus 24 hour a... read more

Reviewed 6 days ago
Sikras
Reliable transportation, albeit not fancy.

The staff picked up our group of 9 friends with all our luggage in Queenstown, NZ. Both our driver... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
643RobertH643
Houston, Texas
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed August 9, 2019

I rented through Economy Rent a Car and experienced the same thing as others. The car I was given had 140,000 km on it, ripped seats, dents all over and I was told it was the only car they had. I asked to pay for an upgrade, came back the next day to see if they had something else but they said they had no other cars. They kept saying I had to change any details with Economy, but when I called them they said it was Scotties I needed to talk to. I just kept getting the run around. I don't know how either company is still in business....

Date of experience: August 2019
1  Thank asasnsd
Reviewed August 3, 2019

The staff was extremely nice and explained every step of the rental process. We wanted a 4WD vehicle in order to easily navigate the Queenstown mountains in the winter. Our car was in great shape, and the staff took very thorough photos prior to us leaving the lot. Transportation to and from the airport was quick and convenient.

However, there were two things that I was not expecting; they were minimal to us, but could definitely affect other renters more. The first item was that the rental counter is not in the Queenstown Airport. When you land, you have to contact the staff to pick you up in a shuttle. Luckily, the Scotties location is extremely close to the airport, so we did not have to wait at all after we called. The second was the car insurance. We paid for extra car insurance via Expedia, and I thought that was through the rental company. It turns out I was wrong. When we picked up the car, we were presented with their insurance options, which were completely separate from what we paid for on Expedia. If you do not accept any of their insurance plans, then they put a $2000 charge on your card. If you return the car without damage, you get the entire amount back. However, if anything happens to the car, they keep that amount from the $2000. This was not a huge issue for us, but it could definitely affect others to have that amount sitting on a credit card.

Date of experience: July 2019
Escape815337, Guest Relations Manager at Scotties Rental Cars, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks for your review. Glad it worked for you.

Reviewed July 3, 2019

I would recommend to anyone reading this do NOT rent from this company. Go somewhere else even if it costs you more.

Date of experience: December 2018
1  Thank gerardlc65

Love to know what happened. It is better to let us know so we can get it right.

Reviewed June 23, 2019

Terrible experience. They accused us of damage that was already existing and took hundreds off our credit card! They are fraudulent and use old images/ edit their image timestamps to rip off their customers. Also paid for a higher level car and could not offer the vehicle we paid for. Car provided was filthy, stunk, was covered in cobwebs and music did not work... had to purchase our own speaker. DO NOT HIRE FROM SCOTTIES.

Date of experience: February 2019
2  Thank tahliabecus

We take photos of our cars to prevent this and always ask customers to take photos at the same to prevent issues like this

Reviewed June 7, 2019 via mobile

Rented a car while my parents were visiting and was picked up and dropped off before and after using car. Great service and friendly staff

Date of experience: June 2019