Purdy Arms
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Smith Hotel(Kiserian)
Qaribu Inn(Nairobi)
View Hotel
All reviewsshort breakimpersonal hotelhome from homeafter midnightlovely groundsgiraffe centrenext morningelephant orphanagetwigachuisimbasuitekenyasafaritrafficguard
Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed one night before Safari to Tanzania. Room was already ready in the morning when my friend arrived first. They have very nice bar, restaurant and big pleasant garden. It was really nice to drink glasses of wine in the garden during day time. They have archery facility too.

I was a little bit worry about the location because I thought Karen area was a little bit far from Nairobi town area. However it was about 20 minutes taxi ride to the Silver Springs hotel where shuttles departs to Arusha (but on Saturday morning.) Also we caught 8am bus to Arusha, and Purdy Arms prepared our breakfast at 6 am because we needed to leave at 7am. And they set the table ready when I went to dining room at 6pm!

Their food in the restaurant was really nice. Avocado pizza was really delicious and unique. Seafood soup was great and I really loved their Tilapia. Portion was really big and I could not finis my main. Breakfast was good too but nothing very special.

We stayed in Manba room. Room was small, located in ground floor but old and cozy. No problem with hot shower and water pressure. There are a lot of mosquitos. However they provided spray in the room, so no worries!

After the long day of long flight and sight seeing of Nairobi. We back to Purdy Arms. Just before going to bed, I found out that they did not change the bed linen at all. I was freaked out a lot of hairs those were not MINE sticked on the bed sheets, duvet, pillow case etc. It was about 12AM. I asked twice and they finally changed bed linen and it was completed about 1AM. I did not expect that they did not change the sheets. Since my friend could check in in the morning, I suspected that they might not clean up the room. This incident was only my disappointment.

Except bed linen, I had good time in Purdy Arms. But I think I will try other hotel when I will go to Nairobi next time.

Room Tip: -Check if bed linen are fresh right after check in! Because they might not change it! -Drink wine or beer in the garden during the day time. -Play with cute cat and peacock in the premises.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Junko S
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review of the Purdy Arms, Karen.

We are pleased that you had a good time and enjoyed our extensive gardens and restaurant menu. We pride ourselves in the homely bed and breakfast which we offer, and are so pleased when our guests and friends appreciate this.

I was surprised with your comment on the bed linen as, with all guests, I personally supervised the room being prepared for your early check in.

However, we have taken your concerns to heart and have made sure that any guest requests for change of bed linen can be immediately attended to regardless of the time, day or night.

We do hope to welcome you back for some more glasses of wine in our unique garden setting.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

My husband and I booked the "cheetah" room for one night prior to departing on our safari. As soon as we arrived at the Purdy Arms/Blix Inn, we were cursing ourselves for not booking at least two nights in order to fully enjoy the place. The room was HUGE and well appointed, though the water pressure/temp in the shower was not working (often the case in Kenya anyway). We missed out on the famous pizza in the bar, but enjoyed some Tusker and the hospitality the staff and resident cats and dog. My cousin, who is currently living and studying in Nairobi, joined us late that night, and it was nice of staff to let us linger into the wee hours rather than pushing us out so they could stop working. The next morning, we had a really nice full English breakfast on the terrace and enjoyed watching the birds. I'mm so mad we didn't have time to explore the massive, lush garden! We would definitely stay here again if we are ever back in Nairobi!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
PurdyArmsKaren, Owner at Purdy Arms, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

We wish you'd stayed longer too! Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a kind review which we have shared with the staff. Its great that there hard work and dedication is rewarded.

We try to create a relaxing atmosphere and spend a lot of time enjoying the grounds ourselves when we are not working. The gardens are truly unique.

Can't wait to welcome you back if you are ever in Nairobi again.

Thanks so much.

Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Purdy Arms was the Getaway I needed from the Bustling Nairobi-ness.

after having spent 3 weeks in Westlands & Upperhill. My 3rd Friday in east Africa called for a change from the corporate hotel environment

I was blessed to stumble upon Purdy Arms in Karen Blixen by recommendation of a Restaurant Manager nearby.

I will fight the traffic in future to stay here!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Moorzinio
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Pros:
Pizza is excellent.
Rooms are excellent
Distance from my house is excellent
Selection of Booze is excellent
Staff are excellent
Prices are excellent
wifi is brilliant
late night coffees are brilliant

Cons:
Karaoke vocals could be better

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Hough00
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed here in May to meet up with my husband (arriving from elsewhere). I was alone for the first night, and received wonderful service from the owners, Jules and Kat, who could not have been more helpful. Food was served outside on the terrace, a lovely little area with large parasols. The menu has something for everyone and is well cooked and beautifully presented. Staff are friendly and efficient.
My suite (Twiga) was large and well furnished with an enormous bathroom, with TV screens in both the lounge area and the bedroom. My husband arrived in the wee small hours, but Jules and Kat had made sure that he could gain access to the property and find the right room(!), then a long lie and a leisurely delicious breakfast back on the terrace, all very laid back and welcoming. While you're here, go to Kamilli , a local set up which does lovely hand printed fabrics turned into aprons, cushion covers, oven gloves and the like, a perfect memento of your stay and great presents. Marula Studio on the same lane also worth a visit.
All in all, highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple