Review Highlights
Fantastic Cooking School

I highly recommend Walnut Grove Cookery School. Beautiful location, comfortable accommodations and... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed February 10, 2019
Bruce S
Wonderful experience

Great setting. Great comfort. An excellent mix of presentation, variety & difficulty. Chef Maynard... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed January 19, 2019
kensynnot
Glasgow, United Kingdom

All reviews wide range walnut grove cookery comfortable accommodations first class cooking techniques fantastic cooking school students skills practice knowledge participants chef hands teaching blend lecture
Selected filters
Reviewed August 6, 2015

Four of us had the pleasure of staying at Walnut Grove in June. My friend and I took part in the classes while our husbands toured the interesting and beautiful local countryside returning to savour the delicious food we had helped to prepare. We were made very welcome by Freya, Maynard and Benedict and had lots of fun learning new skills and eating amazing gourmet food in gorgeous surroundings. Maynard and Benedict were very patient imparting their tricks of trade (of which they are masters) but also making sure we enjoyed the whole experience. Freya is a treasure quietly and efficiently clearing up after us (no washing up for us students) and taking us all out to visit a traditional flour mill. It was also good to meet Lori and Cathy from USA and Joanne from Somerset and we all enjoyed each other's company during the lessons and in the evenings.The accommodation is beautiful and it would be lovely to return sometime in the future.

Date of experience: June 2015
Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2015

Dear Leslie
It was lovely having the four of you here on the course in June, we are glad you enjoyed your time with us. We hope you continue to use the skills you learned and that you have "wowed" a few of your friends & family!! Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and we hope to meet again some time.
kind regards

Reviewed July 12, 2015

I stayed at walnut grove this June 2015. It was such a fabulous experience I learnt so many new techniques and little tricks. The food was delicious and there was a lot of cooking over the 5 days which really appealed to us. I also enjoyed that we learnt how to make croissants. The accomodation was also beautiful and made the whole experience so much nicer. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time at walnut grove and I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in an intensive cooking getaway. Alana

Date of experience: June 2015
Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2015

Dear Alana
It was lovely to meet you & Mel when you were here in the spring, we are so glad you enjoyed your time with us. Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review, it is much appreciated.
kind regards

Reviewed July 4, 2015

We spent 5 days with my wife honing her cooking skills and us both eating exceptional food every evening. The accommodation is set in an old French farm house and was of a high standard and Maynard, Benedict and Freya made our visit most enjoyable. Maynard and Benedict gave the training and shared their considerable experience in top restaurant kitchens. I highly recommend this.

Date of experience: July 2015
Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2015

Dear Peter
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, we really appreciate it. It was great to meet you & your wife, and we are so glad you enjoyed your time here. We look forward to meeting again some time.

Reviewed May 29, 2015

First off 'Education Costs Money' reviewer just couldn't have been the same place I have just come back from. This is my second visit to return to do the Advanced Cookery Course with the brilliant chefs Maynard and Benedict, and the lovely Freya who tries to keep them in check and looked after us so well. This was just like returning to see good friends. As before, we were made to feel so welcome and even had my usual Vodka & Tonic brought up to our beautiful room whilst I unpacked.How's that for getting off to a great start! Little touches like roses and lilies from the garden in our room is a lovely touch.

As to the cookery part of the course - where do I start? Amazing, brilliant, visually stunning, superb, wonderful. I could go on and find far too many superlatives to describe this but I got so much out of this course, following on from the initial course. Certainly I realised how much I had learned and was able to refine my skills and gain a greater understanding. I was thrilled when Maynard told me my knife skills had improved. Whether he meant it or not is another matter!

Loved doing the Walnut Grove Challenge. We did girls vs boys and have to say us girls did pretty good! Loved working with Wendy and Rossy. I would never had thought I would be able to create, design and cook what we turned out. Of course Benedict advised us and helped us but we turned out some amazing dishes.

If you love cooking, Walnut Grove is definitely for you. Fabulous farmhouse and kitchen where we cook, lovely people and very hands on with the food in all areas. Maynard and Benedict will get the best of you and you'll come away with a wealth of knowledge and information.

Please hurry up and develop your cookery book. I'll be the first to buy it!

Thanks to all of you for making my second trip so memorable.

Date of experience: May 2015
1  Thank mariabarnes
Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2015

Dear Maria
Just as you said it was like returning to see old friends, for us it was also like having friends come back to see us! It was a real pleasure to see you & Wendy, and catch up. So glad you enjoyed your second time around at the Walnut Grove, I am sure we'll see you again some time!

Reviewed May 28, 2015

Ok, I have been to lots of cooking classes around the world and just happened to come across this when I was reading about a farm to stay at in the area. After reading the reviews I decided to stay at Walnut Grove and do the entire class (5 days).
Let me just say, if you like to cook, eat, meet and make new friends,have fun and enjoy beautiful countryside, GO!

Maynard ,Benedict ( the chefs) and Freya (Maynards wife) are great both professionally (as hosts) and just really lovely people that
make you feel at home and welcome immediately.
The classes were superb, VERY hands on, we covered more than
I expected, in detail and a wide range of disciplines.

The accommodations were lovely, the food, fabulous ,and the
setting beautiful.

Having two chefs and being divided into 2 groups at times made for lots of fun and we had loads of laughs! I didnt even get in trouble
when I backed into our "perfectly plated dessert" and knocked it to the floor ! Thankyou Walnut Grove!

Date of experience: April 2015
1  Thank pougal
Freya H, Owner at Walnut Grove Cookery School, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2015

Dear Pougal
It was lovely to meet you, it was a great fun course for us - first one of the year, off to a great start. Hope you have been impressing all your friends back home, and hope your friends wedding went well!
Keep in touch