All reviews village safari rural india authentic village home stay traditional huts opium ceremony his wife henna painting family life entire family wonderful family authentic experience village stay village home no pressure to buy block printing black buck
Selected filters
Reviewed July 5, 2019

Visiting this place has created special memories in my mind, whenever I would remember Rajasthan, this place would come to my mind first, in one day stay I got familiar with all family members. Food offered is home made, has taste of Moms food. Chhotaram Ji is available to you all the time taking care of your every need, his Jeeps are there to take you to the village safari. His whole family is there to take care of guests. all family members serving the guests, they haven’t employed outsiders to take care of guest instead they themselves serve the guests.

Date of stay: July 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2019

I stayed at Chhotaram Prajapat's Homestay with my family – wife and two young children – and can’t recommend it enough. Why? Lots of reasons:

Whilst touring Rajasthan, staying in hotels, eating every day in hotels and restaurants, being hassled by hawkers, drivers and hotel owners, always looking to find another way to profit from our stay, Chhotaram was an oasis of tranquility in so many ways.

Firstly, the owner is very relaxed, polite and welcoming; he’s a well-educated family man. There was no hard-sell, no staff hanging around all the time - his wife cooks and they just want to know whether they should cook for you or not. Breakfast is there if you want it. It is truly a family experience, but only if you want it to be. You can spend all day in Jodhpur if you want and just use it as a base.

We did look around the Binwas villages, participate in ‘the ceremony’, see pottery being made and make some ourselves, spot the local wildlife, but it wasn’t like an organised tour – it was like staying with a friend who showed us around the local area that he was proud of. His family have lived there for generations, and he’s trying to diversify from cow-herding and weaving, for which the village is famed. It cost of bit of money, but without realising it I had done all the tours which I had pre-booked at my next stop for a fraction of the price.

Then there’s the food. Simple, vegetarian, home-cooked Indian food, cooked by the host’s lovely wife. I can’t stress enough what a relief it was to have a break from the oily, bloating tourist food you can’t escape everywhere else. We stayed here mid-trip, and my body really needed the break. It was my favourite food all trip. I don’t think the pictures do it justice – looks like a bit of a backpackers commune – but it’s not. It’s hygienic and authentic – noodles made of chickpeas anyone?

Location-wise, if you want to be in the centre of it all, this isn’t for you. But having been in hotels in the centre of Delhi, Jaisalmer, Jaipur etc, this was a good break from the craziness. It’s a 20min took-took drive from central Jodhpur, and the ride is a fun way to see India outside of the tourist destinations. The trip goes past a western supermarket too, with pre-priced food, no haggling!! if you want to get some chocolate, crisps, bread, cheese or whatever you want for a break from the local fare. You can take a bus into town (they drive you to the bus-stop and talk to the driver – or they will give you a lift if they are going in themselves. They also picked us up when we arrived in the early hours at the train station in Jodhpur. So you can easily pop into Jodhpur (do the zipwire around the fort at sunset, btw), and took-took back from the clock tower in the centre. The owner will tell you how much to pay so you aren’t being ripped off. We also headed on from here to Pushka, and the owner organised a taxi for far cheaper than I had booked online.

As I said, I don’t think the pictures really do it justice – it’s actually quite smart. The mud huts are really quite cool, they’ve got electricity and are very clean. They resurface them after every stay: I know this because they paint these beautiful white patterns on the floor and walls which wear away whilst you use it, so they mush refinish them. And the huts lead onto their own large en suite westernised bathrooms: great showers, hot water, marble, and in one case, larger than the hut itself. They’ve tastefully hidden them so you can’t see them from the front.

What else? After dinner one evening, the owner’s wife henna tattooed my wife and daughter – no money, no pressure, just from lovely people. And when I left something there after we left, they got someone to bring to my next hotel. I could go on.

As a break from the normal touristy hotel, to see a bit of really India, and stay with lovely people, who restore your faith in the locals, I can’t recommend it enough as a needed break during the trip.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2019

I had a very nice day in Chhotaram Prajapat's Homestay. Mr. Chhotaram is a highly intelligent man and knows everything about the Bishnoi People. My 3-year-old daughter played the entire afternoon with his daughter, and his wife was very kind to us. If you are keen on experiencing a real homestay in the area, you must go no further. This is the place! Excellent! Highly recommended!

Date of stay: December 2018
Reviewed April 3, 2019

We really enjoyed our three night stay with Chhotaram and his family. We booked the three night package, which included the village safari, Jodhpur sightseeing, and meals among other things. Our room and bathroom was really clean, and we were impressed with the western style bathroom and how big it was. Also, solar heating for hot water was really impressive, and not often seen in India! The food was delicious, and we felt welcomed into the family at meal times. My partner and I weren't feeling too well when we arrived, and Chhotaram and his family took really good care of us, making sure we ate things good for our stomachs and accommodating the schedule so that we could rest but still fit everything in. Chhotaram also helped us book transportation to and from his homestay, which helped us a lot when planning on the fly. The only thing I suggest is that if you have back trouble, sit in the front of the jeep during the tour as it isn't as bumpy! On the safari we saw so many animals we didn't expect to see, like the black buck and even a mongoose. This is a really great place to stay if you want to experience authentic village home life, but also want some modern conveniences like privacy and a western bathroom! Chhotaram and some family members also speak really good English, so that was never an issue. We recommend staying here.

Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2019

I have been thinking about an authentic village experience in Rajasthan. I am so glad I found the property of Chotaram and Mamta ji and I was able to spend time with an amazing family/their beautiful homestay. The family ensured that they treat us like a family member from picking us from our bus stop (few miles from their home), preparing an amazing home cooked meal everytime, giving us tips on how to prepare an amazing meal and ensuring all our wishes were fulfilled + few more. I cannot thank them enough for everything they did for us and have referred them to every friend of mine and will remember this for rest of my life.

This was a perfect example of going as a guest and coming back feeling as their family member. Once again Thanks to the family for having us.

Date of stay: March 2019