All reviews village safari rural india authentic village home stay traditional huts opium ceremony henna painting his wife entire family village stay wonderful family authentic experience family life chapati village home beautiful henna no pressure to buy
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Staying at Chhota’s home was a unique and wonderful experience. We ate with the family under the neem tree - traditional food cooked by his lovely wife - walked through the village, tried our hand at weaving and shared the rural lifestyle. Our accommodation was rustic but comfortable with modern en suites and loads of hot water. A special stay in an authentic Indian rural village.

Date of stay: March 2019
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My friend and I stayed two nights with Chhotaram, his wife Mumta, and their two children in their family compound which consists of their traditional home and several traditional huts that have been constructed for their guests. The huts are delightful. They are cozy earth dwellings (they are reminiscent of rammed earth dwellings, but trawled on a curved frame rather than pressed into a form) with thatched roofs, and decorated with hand drawn art and mandalas. Attached private bathrooms are huge, with a new solar water heating system providing more than enough piping hot water.
My friend and I arrived at Chhotaram's still pretty 'under the weather' after getting sick in Jodphur. Mumta and the children welcomed us into their family with a touching arrival ceremony. Chhotaram, his wife Mumta and brother Ohm provided us truly kind and loving care, rearranged our planned activities so that we would not miss any activities, and their care had us feeling great by the morning.
The food is excellent, and it is a fantastic experience helping to prepare the meals and the chapati over the open fire. Mumta is a really skilled cook. Everything is cooked to perfection.
The real highlight of this experience is the family, and their relationships. They are so genuine and open hearted, they really do treat their guests as family, and it is a delight to watch the loving interactions between the adults and the children.
The family weaves beautiful dhurrie rugs on a hand loom. The rugs are gorgeous, and the opportunity to purchase helps support this vanishing art form. From 400 weavers in the village Salawas, there are now only around 40 weavers.
I do plan to return to Rajasthan, and I will stay again in a heartbeat with this family. The only thing I will do differently is plan a longer stay with them!

Room tip: The rooms are all ground level private traditional earth dwellings.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Very good homestay. Excellent hosts. Tasty food. Accommodation very good in comfortable huts with shower. Also excellent activities included with desert jeep safari and visit to an artisan potter. Demonstration of weaving rugs. Very interesting and method clearly explained.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

11 of us stayed here during our tour of Rajasthan. One word- Amazing!. For a real insight into life in India I urge you to visit this homestay. You are welcomed as one of the family and that is exactly what it feels like. The rustic huts are perfectly fine with clean bedding and a good bathroom. Make yourself at home and help with making the bread on an open fire!! - experience the lovely home cooking. Our hosts chat away about life in their village and their centuries old tradition of the opium ceremony. See the fantastic dhurrie weaving and the rugs made by local craftsman. You will not forget your stay here!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’m so grateful that my friend found this gem! The family is incredibly friendly and welcoming! I throughly enjoyed my stay. I was able to experience dressing up in ladies traditional Rajasthani clothing, take a camel ride through the village, eat traditional meals with the family daily, take walks through the village and a little shopping too. The rooms are clean and the spacious bathroom is western style. My visit to Rajasthan couldn’t have been better! Thank you for your hospitality.

Date of stay: March 2019