Tripadvisor

“Great place”

The Six Bells Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Cliffe
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We’ve just checked out of the six bells, stayed for 2 nights as were in town for a wedding. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in the family room which was lovely and clean with own private bathroom which was down the hall. At first I was sceptical about not having an en suit in room with 2 children to get ready but was no real problem at all. Breakfast was lovely and all staff went out of their way to ensure our stay was a happy and comfortable one with transfers to wedding venues organised. Thank you very much to all the staff, we really enjoyed our stay.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (36)

Reviewed January 20, 2020

We had a pre-wedding meal here and the food was all really good, the feedback from my party was all good. The waiting time was a bit long but to be fair they were doing a big christmas meal as well which was booked before us, because of this our food came out at different times, some were waiting a while but we were all in good spirits so not an issue. The food was all delicious, I had the lasagne which was good - not quite to my preference, my heart is closer to very tomato-y Italian original but it was a good lasagne nonetheless.
I was getting married the next day and staying at the Six Bells with my 2 best men in a family room. The pub closed at 1am and unfortunately our room was just above the pool/ snooker area where a particularly loud/ competitive family were playing which kept me up. Should not have been much of a problem still, as even waking up at 9 would still be 8 hours but one of my best men was loudly snoring. The radiator was on in our room which I didn't realise and it did get uncomfortably warm, but I like to sleep in a cold room. All of this being said, the bed was fantastically comfortable.

The bathroom was decent and clean, if not a bit small, had a shower, sink, toilet got the job done!

Breakfast the following morning was really, really good, cannot fault them one bit! Breakfast is included with the rooms, only the mega-breakfast you would have to pay a bit extra for, and the food was fantastic.

We also had a shuttle to the wedding venue the following morning at 11:30, which was really good. They normally do them 45 mins before the wedding ceremony and i think pick you up at 11:45pm but as we were staying over at Cooling the following night and had to be onsite early they perfectly catered to our needs. Transfer is £10 per way but if i'm perfectly honest I forgot to pay the guy, or he was being nice as I was the groom but either way, good service.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed December 22, 2019

Stayed here for 1 night the bedrooms are outstandingly clean beds very comfortable and the staff can’t do enough for you .. breakfast was so tasty and the right portion. 100% stay here again

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 19, 2019

I stayed here with friends on 15th december as We were attending a wedding at the Cooling Castle Barn. We arrived around 11ish and were going to be dropped off at the wedding venue from 12pm. A comment was made that it was cold in the main bar area where we congregated and also in the rooms when we took our belongings to our rooms. We were told it costs too much to put heating on during the day! Hayley was great and drove the ladies first to the venue then came back for our other halves. We were promptly picked up at 11.15pm at The end of the wedding. We arrived back to cold rooms and felt that the heating hadn't been on at all as all rooms were booked out by us and attended the wedding. There was no additional heater but apparently there was one available but wasn't offered. We all woke up to very cold rooms, the radiator was just about luke warm if that. It's a large room so heating was not sufficient at all plus there was no heating in the shower room. Breakfast was ok, nothing special and not great quality. My 3 friends were already down for breakfast when I arrived and had been given tea and coffee and breakfast order taken. I was asked what I wanted to drink but not what I wanted for breakfast. I assumed I would be asked at some point. The 3 full English breakfasts arrived and again I wasn't asked but shortly afterwards i was given the same breakfast although I didn't request it. It was only afterwards that one of my friends showed me a menu but it wasn't on the table so didn't see it. Staff are very friendly, beds were comfortable but it was let down by the lack of heating which ruined our stay. Unfortunately we had to pay on arrival but there was no one to speak to as the staff do not live on the premises. The lovely lady cooking breakfast had enough to deal with and it probably really wasn't her responsibility. I think if you're paying £80, you at least require the basics and that being heating, so had an uncomfortable stay.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 4, 2019

We both had a burger with fries. My husband got the special fries. The burger was huge and delicious. The special fries were also huge and loaded with topping. Neither of us could finish our meals. Way to go Six Bells!

Date of visit: October 2019