“Fly Fishing with Ivan in the Pyrenees”

Salvelinus Spain Fly Fishing- Pyrenees
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: “The Pyrenees is considered to be one of the most natural Europe areas, today. Over the last thirty years, Ivan Tarin and his guides have spent countless hours researching the rivers, streams, spring creeks, tailwaters, reservoirs and alpine lakes to ascertain their fly-fishing potential - All for clients' benefit. SALVELINUS run two strategically located lodges in ancient villages of the Pyrenees to help you get the most out of your stay in our splendid region. You´ll surely feel at home in our Lodges; in the western Pyrenees a 15th-century palace transformed into a cozy four-room fishing lodge and in the eastern Pyrenees a 300-year-old lodge with its own spa and boasting superb award-winning cuisine. The team of more than 40 specialists, their hospitality, the cultural heritage, the excellent local food & wine and, the complete range of genuine experiences for travel companions, make it the perfect destination to share with your partner, family or Friends”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

When you travel half way around the world from Australia to explore new fly fishing locations you always wonder what terrain, water, guide and accommodation you will encounter. This is always part of the adventure but can cause some degree of apprehension.
My wife and I were on an extended trip to Europe from July until October 2012 and, as done on previous trips, I always arrange for some fly fishing during our travels. Packing my fly fishing gear has become obligatory.
The Salvelinus Lodge in the village of Santa Cilia de Jaca in the Aragon region of the Spanish Pyrenees was well appointed, the staff, guides, service and food were excellent.
We visited in August 2012 and Ivan Tarin and his partner Mapi, who run Salvelinus, and speak very good English, made us feel at home immediately. English language is important to us as we do not have multiple language skills.
My wife is a non-fisher person, so activities that she can enjoy need to be part of the arrangement while I am away in my fly fishing world with the guide. This was admirably taken care of by Mapi. She took my wife on daily excursions to all the interesting cultural and historic locations in the surrounding regions.
Stream fishing for trout is my preferred environment and the Pyrenees did not disappoint. Clear, tumbling mountain streams cascading down from the majestic heights of this impressive mountain range produced some wonderful wild brown trout. The fishing is challenging and Ivan and Inaki, who guided me over the three days of my fishing, were very professional and skilful in guiding, teaching and sharing their knowledge. Securing a trophy brown trout at Aragon was the highlight.
Good guiding in my view is more than locating fish for you. Head Guide Ivan has a deep passion for the environment and the fish and is a delight to be with. His skill in instructing and demonstrating the fishing style and techniques is second to none, and his open, fun personality is uplifting.
]I have fished extensively overseas in the UK and Wales, Italy, Slovenia, The Kiribati Islands and New Zealand as well as home waters in various states of Australia and I judge Ivan and his Salvelinus operation as world class and highly recommend the Salvelinus experience.

All reviews
"whole experience"
"great guide"
"great food"

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was fortunate enough to have fished for 7 days with Ivan Tarin in early November. I have to say it was a trip of a lifetime. Due to the high country being closed, we fished the mid to low country in the Eastern Pyrenees and the fishing was amazing.

Ivan's knowledge of the waters allowed me to hook some huge fish but my skill as a fly fisherman was increased exponentially as well. I arrived in Spain a novice to fly fishing but left feeling like I can comfortably fish any stretch of water, as the waters we fished varied a great deal. We fished drys, nymphs, streamers in all different envrionments. Additionally, Ivan was very patient with me as he taught me casting. We covered basic casting, roll casts, reach casts and high sticking. He is a great instructor and he will put you on some fish.

Ivan also takes great care of his guests with the lodging and food as well. Each place I stayed was very nice and the food and wine is something I still miss as I'm back here in the states.

I cannot recommend this trip enough and I plan on booking with Ivan in the future. He's an awesome guide and now a great friend!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have made two trips to fish with Salvelinus. One was in Aren, the other was in Santa Cilia. Both times were all around an excellent adventure. The fishing is really tailored to what the client wants to do, with options ranging from long hikes to high mountain streams or low valley rivers with larger fish. The fish are almost all wild trout, and I had multiple shots at good size fish during my trips, and managed to land a few (and lost some other good ones). The food and drink are also excellent, as well as the company of the guides and staff. I have fly fished in various places all over the world, from bonefish and tarpon in the Keys to the native brown trout of Scotland. I have to say that Salvelinus ranks up there with any of them in terms of quality fishing and overall experience.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

went for 2 days trout fishing with salvelinus in the western pyrenees near Jaca.

all superb. stunning setting, beautiful high mountain streams, gin clear water, and small, wild, mountain trout - albeit there are clearly big fish about. ivan is passionate about flyfishing for trout, and his knowledge, experience, and passion abound; i learnt masses, and left with an appetite to return as soon as possible.

additionally, the logistics were perfect - the lodge, food, travel from one place to the next, licences, etc.

highly recommended. check out the webpage

4  Thank jicoMadrid
See more reviews
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Our Salvelinus Fly Fishing vacation was a true delight. We began our vacation in the Rioja Valley so we easily drove ourselves to Aren, a picturesque village set in the foothills of the Pyrenees. Aren is a quaint old village, complete with a village square anchored by a pretty cathedral, narrow cobbled streets and arched passage ways that lead to a castle ruin above the village. We stayed in the Hotel Domenc, an updated modern establishment with comfortable rooms and nice views. The Hotel boasts a Spa and an inviting commons room for reading, playing games, or hanging out. Our host, Juan Antonio is a fantastic cook! He would put any gourmet Master Chef to shame! Each day we were treated to a large breakfast spread of Spanish toast, croissants, Iberian ham, chorizos, sausages, cheeses, fruits, cereal, eggs, juice and coffee. Our dinners were 5 star-we had delicious starters, tapas, main courses, and desserts. Juan Antonio is passionate about fungi and mushrooms so we felt privileged that he served us several dishes while we were there. Each evening we enjoyed wine from different areas of Spain! Juan Antonio is the proprietor of the Hotel Domenc but also has a fondo or traveler's inn that houses the restaurant, a bar and some rooms. Juan Antonio is a most accommodating host-friendly, sincere, humble, and service oriented.

My husband and I had several goals or desires for this trip. We wanted to eat good food, meet some good people and get in some good fishing. When we were corresponding with Ivan Tarin we expressed these things to him. He told us that the people and the food would take care of themselves, and he could help us with the fishing! Truer words have not been spoken! The food was amazing! Ivan and Juan Antonio certainly made us feel like family, and on several occasions we had the opportunity to converse with some local people. We found the people to be one of Spain's greatest treasures.

Now for the fishing component of this fabulous vacation! Wonderful! Amazing! Awesome! FUN, FUN, FUN! We arrived in the afternoon and began our instruction about 5pm. I had never held a fly rod. My husband has fished with a fly rod many times...but he had never had instruction before. Now he will tell you that he used to throw the fly at the water, but NOW, he fly fishes! We learned some basic skills and practiced them until 9pm that first day! The time flew by! The next morning we learned some more skills and following a hearty lunch, we set out for the water! In our three days of fishing we learned the skills necessary to fish many kinds of water. We fished open waters, fast and slow, waters deep and shallow, waters slick with weeds and waters lined with stones. Ivan taught us the skills to fish waters made difficult by trees and bushes, and reeds. We treked into waters without open entries. I learned how to 'read' a stream, how to know what the fish are eating so I can choose the appropriate bait, and most importantly how to present a fly so the fish will take interest in it!
Ivan is a very patient man. He clearly explains what he wants us to do, and then watches and corrects without hovering or expecting perfection on the first cast. He is able to instruct in more than one way so that if I didn't understand what he was wanting, he could tell me in a different way. He is a great communicator! We enjoyed not only his teaching instruction but our conversations and observations with Ivan while we were fishing. He is knowledgeable about fish, their waters, the tackle, the weather and how all these things interact to affect one's fishing experience. The three of us spent a lot of hours together over three days, and all of it was enjoyable! Spending as much time as we did with Ivan, my husband and I could tell he is very organized. He had all the tackle we needed, all the supplies and permits. We did not have to do much other than show up.
I suppose that all this is well and good, but people ask...did you catch any fish?! The answer is YES! We caught fish everyday, in different waters, using different flies and types of flies. We caught large and small fish and spent some time fishing for trophy fish. While we didn't get a trophy, we put back a lot of fish that may one day grow up to be trophies!
One thing that I found to be wonderful, was that we did not see a lot of other people while we were fishing. It was pretty much us, the fish, the birds and the breeze. I think Spain has several national treasures...her people, her food, and her fishing!
My husband and I had the most wonderful time we have ever had on a vacation. Ivan was right...the food and the people took care of themselves...they were great. And Ivan took care of the fishing. With his instruction and guidance, the fishing was GREAT!