“Fly Fishing with a Guide”

Salvelinus Fly Fishing Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: SALVELINUS is a dynamic company with dedicated fly fishing specialists working in the heart of Pyrenees Mountains of northern Spain, to offer you the best option in each moment along Navarra, Aragon, Catalunya and Andorra regions. At work, our main objective is your complete satisfaction if you chose us for your vacations. We offer a complete service personalized to each fisherman.Once inside our organization you’ll see it in everything around-all day long doing our best in the following areas: Guide Service Fishing Lodges Fly Fishing School Non angler vacations Helicopter Expeditions
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Fly Fishing with a Guide”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was fortunate enough to have fished for 7 days with Ivan Tarin in early November. I have to say it was a trip of a lifetime. Due to the high country being closed, we fished the mid to low country in the Eastern Pyrenees and the fishing was amazing.

Ivan's knowledge of the waters allowed me to hook some huge fish but my skill as a fly fisherman was increased exponentially as well. I arrived in Spain a novice to fly fishing but left feeling like I can comfortably fish any stretch of water, as the waters we fished varied a great deal. We fished drys, nymphs, streamers in all different envrionments. Additionally, Ivan was very patient with me as he taught me casting. We covered basic casting, roll casts, reach casts and high sticking. He is a great instructor and he will put you on some fish.

Ivan also takes great care of his guests with the lodging and food as well. Each place I stayed was very nice and the food and wine is something I still miss as I'm back here in the states.

I cannot recommend this trip enough and I plan on booking with Ivan in the future. He's an awesome guide and now a great friend!

Visited November 2012

Cairo
“Great Destination and Experience in the World of Fly-Fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

I have made two trips to fish with Salvelinus. One was in Aren, the other was in Santa Cilia. Both times were all around an excellent adventure. The fishing is really tailored to what the client wants to do, with options ranging from long hikes to high mountain streams or low valley rivers with larger fish. The fish are almost all wild trout, and I had multiple shots at good size fish during my trips, and managed to land a few (and lost some other good ones). The food and drink are also excellent, as well as the company of the guides and staff. I have fly fished in various places all over the world, from bonefish and tarpon in the Keys to the native brown trout of Scotland. I have to say that Salvelinus ranks up there with any of them in terms of quality fishing and overall experience.

Visited April 2012
Madrid
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“salvelinus - trout fishing in the pyrenees”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2012

went for 2 days trout fishing with salvelinus in the western pyrenees near Jaca.

all superb. stunning setting, beautiful high mountain streams, gin clear water, and small, wild, mountain trout - albeit there are clearly big fish about. ivan is passionate about flyfishing for trout, and his knowledge, experience, and passion abound; i learnt masses, and left with an appetite to return as soon as possible.

additionally, the logistics were perfect - the lodge, food, travel from one place to the next, licences, etc.

highly recommended. check out the webpage

Visited June 2012
3 Thank jicoMadrid
Cairo, Egypt
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Food, Great People, Great Fishing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Our Salvelinus Fly Fishing vacation was a true delight. We began our vacation in the Rioja Valley so we easily drove ourselves to Aren, a picturesque village set in the foothills of the Pyrenees. Aren is a quaint old village, complete with a village square anchored by a pretty cathedral, narrow cobbled streets and arched passage ways that lead to a castle ruin above the village. We stayed in the Hotel Domenc, an updated modern establishment with comfortable rooms and nice views. The Hotel boasts a Spa and an inviting commons room for reading, playing games, or hanging out. Our host, Juan Antonio is a fantastic cook! He would put any gourmet Master Chef to shame! Each day we were treated to a large breakfast spread of Spanish toast, croissants, Iberian ham, chorizos, sausages, cheeses, fruits, cereal, eggs, juice and coffee. Our dinners were 5 star-we had delicious starters, tapas, main courses, and desserts. Juan Antonio is passionate about fungi and mushrooms so we felt privileged that he served us several dishes while we were there. Each evening we enjoyed wine from different areas of Spain! Juan Antonio is the proprietor of the Hotel Domenc but also has a fondo or traveler's inn that houses the restaurant, a bar and some rooms. Juan Antonio is a most accommodating host-friendly, sincere, humble, and service oriented.

My husband and I had several goals or desires for this trip. We wanted to eat good food, meet some good people and get in some good fishing. When we were corresponding with Ivan Tarin we expressed these things to him. He told us that the people and the food would take care of themselves, and he could help us with the fishing! Truer words have not been spoken! The food was amazing! Ivan and Juan Antonio certainly made us feel like family, and on several occasions we had the opportunity to converse with some local people. We found the people to be one of Spain's greatest treasures.

Now for the fishing component of this fabulous vacation! Wonderful! Amazing! Awesome! FUN, FUN, FUN! We arrived in the afternoon and began our instruction about 5pm. I had never held a fly rod. My husband has fished with a fly rod many times...but he had never had instruction before. Now he will tell you that he used to throw the fly at the water, but NOW, he fly fishes! We learned some basic skills and practiced them until 9pm that first day! The time flew by! The next morning we learned some more skills and following a hearty lunch, we set out for the water! In our three days of fishing we learned the skills necessary to fish many kinds of water. We fished open waters, fast and slow, waters deep and shallow, waters slick with weeds and waters lined with stones. Ivan taught us the skills to fish waters made difficult by trees and bushes, and reeds. We treked into waters without open entries. I learned how to 'read' a stream, how to know what the fish are eating so I can choose the appropriate bait, and most importantly how to present a fly so the fish will take interest in it!
Ivan is a very patient man. He clearly explains what he wants us to do, and then watches and corrects without hovering or expecting perfection on the first cast. He is able to instruct in more than one way so that if I didn't understand what he was wanting, he could tell me in a different way. He is a great communicator! We enjoyed not only his teaching instruction but our conversations and observations with Ivan while we were fishing. He is knowledgeable about fish, their waters, the tackle, the weather and how all these things interact to affect one's fishing experience. The three of us spent a lot of hours together over three days, and all of it was enjoyable! Spending as much time as we did with Ivan, my husband and I could tell he is very organized. He had all the tackle we needed, all the supplies and permits. We did not have to do much other than show up.
I suppose that all this is well and good, but people ask...did you catch any fish?! The answer is YES! We caught fish everyday, in different waters, using different flies and types of flies. We caught large and small fish and spent some time fishing for trophy fish. While we didn't get a trophy, we put back a lot of fish that may one day grow up to be trophies!
One thing that I found to be wonderful, was that we did not see a lot of other people while we were fishing. It was pretty much us, the fish, the birds and the breeze. I think Spain has several national treasures...her people, her food, and her fishing!
My husband and I had the most wonderful time we have ever had on a vacation. Ivan was right...the food and the people took care of themselves...they were great. And Ivan took care of the fishing. With his instruction and guidance, the fishing was GREAT!

Visited May 2012
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“More to Spain than the fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2012

As with previous writers, it is a delight to write about my second guided fishing holiday of 10 days in the Pyrenees with Ivan Tarin, Ramond and the other members of the Team Salvelinus.As before, the Guiding is of an extraordinary standard given that we fished high upland Rivers, Lakes and Creeks together with lower Pyrenees Rivers and Lakes by a variaty of method from dry fly up-stream,ditto nymph and down-stream. To be Guided and befriended by those who have personally scouted (and continue to do!) rivers and lakes of pristeen quality in areas not only remote but within National Parks is considered to be a privilage by myself. But - there is more !
Ivan has shown me "Old" Spain as we travelled which I could not have possibly accessed - a 12th-13th Century hill village,a hotel adjacent another 13th Church near where we met with the gentle and old curator of the small village museum, a Hotel bedroom in part of a Monastry where I stood before my breakfast listening to the Monks at Service - food both simple when at the river and of a Cuisine standard in Hotels where you eat cheese, meats, breads and drink wines of the "local"
This can only be a snapshot, much was done over the 10 days in the best of company - sufficient to say - this Welshman will be returning next year given that the legs are up to scratch ! - as we say in Galis (Cymru) "Diolch yn fawr Ivan a Ramond"

Visited June 2012