TripAdvisor
Roma
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews mountain bike beautiful place the perfect spot breakfast and dinner pleasant stay rooms are clean dirt road rondavel lodge maseru locals hikers heater hiking dorm km camping
Selected filters
Reviewed October 3, 2015

We were visiting a friend in Maseru and he took us here for a weekend getaway. Hard to describe just what a peaceful and lush place this is. I'll never forget the stunning afro-alpine views and our fun-if-slightly-risky horse-back ride. On top of everything, the lodge is run by the loveliest of hosts. Highly recommended!

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa R
Reviewed August 18, 2015

What a delight, we were pleasantly surprised with The Trading post. We stayed over for one night in the main house, the service and food was of the highest quality. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful.Will definitely visit them again.

Date of stay: August 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Hanlizette
Reviewed July 12, 2015

I am one week into a six-week research trip, and I may never leave this place. What a delightful little gem of a place tucked away in Roma, Lesotho. I can't say enough great things about this property, the folks who manage/own it, and the staff who work here. I've been spoiled rotten by both my room (a rhondaval with a private bath!), and the ladies on staff who make the best home-cooked meals. I just celebrated my 38th birthday a few nights ago, and when I came home in the afternoon from work, there was a birthday cake, a present, singing, and eventually dancing in front of the fire. Talk about an epic birthday!

The Trading Post seems to be at the heart of this community, with locals regularly taking wedding photos on the property (I saw a wedding yesterday!), and kids playing soccer out front on the street on the weekends. I'm here to learn SeSotho, and somehow the women who live across the street from the Trading Post found out, and now every morning groups of women shout greetings as I walk to campus, forcing me to use my language skills. It absolutely makes me feel at home to have little old ladies shouting at me from their front yards:)

My one warning would be to not come here skinny. The ladies will make it their personal mission to fatten you up. It's only been a week and if it weren't for my daily walk to campus in the morning, they would have already succeeded in putting a few pounds on me.

Just stay here. Seriously, stop looking around.

WARNING: This lodging is located 20km away from Maseru in a town called Roma, home to the National University of Lesotho. It's PERFECT for my work at the university, but if you need to be in Maseru and don't have a car you might want to try to figure something else out.

Room tip: Wifi is ONLY in common areas, NOT in the rooms. Great, fast signal!
Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Holly M
Reviewed June 22, 2015

Off the beaten path but not far from Roma, the Trading Post is a lovely, reasonable and rustic B & B with warm African decor and leafy rambling grounds for relaxing or having tea. There's a shop a very short walk from the property to stock up on snacks, and a nice breakfast that was far too much food for us!

Room tip: Ask to make sure about wifi; some rooms may not have it but those in the main house do.
Date of stay: June 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed April 20, 2015

My wife and I have stayed at Trading Post Roma many times. Beginning in 2001 I have also brought five groups with roughly 14 people in each to Trading Post for a ten day project. Virtually all comments have been favorable. We (and they) love the family atmosphere and care provided by the Thorn family and their staff. The rooms vary considerably and are comfortable, not posh befitting a country guest house. The meals are home cooked, nutritious and tasty. Self catering is also an option. A small store with basic supplies is on the property. Prices for room and board are very reasonable. The interesting campus of the National University of Lesotho is a few kilometers away. Hikers can walk from the campus area to the Tloutle rock overhang and from there to the scenic Roma gorge, sometimes the nesting site of vultures. A hike up the hill behind the Trading Post takes you to several sites with dinosaur footprints. From there one can hike to the top of the sandstone cliffs overlooking the valley for spectacular views. The Trading Post is in a safe location about 40 kms from Maseru, but readily accessible by taxi or car.

Room tip: Select on of the rooms separated from others on the property
Date of stay: February 2015