“Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Whitehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chillington
Whitehouse
Ranked #4 of 6 Chillington B&B and Inns
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

As a " second homer" in the beautiful South Hams, was looking forward to trying the restaurant there, we weren't staying as our house is nearby,but we had read good things about the chef there. A Friday night at the end of June ,we were the only two in the dining room! Another couple came in to eat as we were leaving. Reasonably priced but 3 small dry pieces of gnocchi does not constitute a starter. Partners scallops cooked in burnt bacon fat, fish stew had a short black male hair in it only found at the bottom of dish! Cheese and pear dessert sounded good drizzled with honey but upon asking where the honey was ,curtly told by waiter it was there because he saw it poured on! A good restaurant would have asked if I would have liked some more. Sitting room's sloppy leather sofas only fit for students Tv viewing. Average price but much better dining not too far away. Won't be returning with any of our many weekend visitors.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Secondhomer

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed at the Whitehouse a few days after our wedding on 2nd July. Our main honeymoon is approaching this September so we wanted a few quiet days away which we called our Mini Moon. The Whitehouse was perfect. We stayed in room 4. It was amazing. Huge roll top bath in the bedroom. Very romantic. The resteraunt was gorgeous. we went there the first night and loved it. Most dishes served on rustic chopping boards. Food was great. We were booked in to go to another place the second night but changed our mind and stayed at the hotel instead.
Previous reviews did not concern me when they spoke about dogs being at the hotel. If you do not like dogs. Don't go to a dog friendly hotel. Now that would be an idea would it not.
We would go back again for sure. Perfect Mini Moon and perfect for the first few days of our life together. Well done Whitehouse and it's staff.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brownie39
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2011

Having read one or two very negative reviews on this site(after booking) we were a little apprehensive to say the least.
Open fires,a great wine list that was not too expensive,open fires,super linens and beds. Above average dinner(we ate out the second night),not great but a really superb breakfast left us wanting to return. Yes our large room was a little noisy as it was on the roadside and there were a few other niggles but overall a highly recommended hotel,great gardens,dvd library etc etc.
As it is a small hotel and the owners are present it obviously isnt to everyones taste but we thought this a refreshing change.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MrandMrsSuitcase
Totnes, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2011

A party of eight of us had dinner on Saturday 19th February. All except one of the party ordered from the set menu that they were offering - which we enjoyed. We all ate two courses (from the two-course menu) following which some of us decided that we would then have a dessert (some of which did not feature on the set menu e.g. the cheese board). I think, reasonably, we were therefore expecting to be charged the two course set menu price plus the additional price for the cheese board. However, we were charged for all three items separately (and this had not been explained to us at the time of ordering the desserts)! This was mentioned to Jana, the restaurant manager who had served us all evening, but she told us that we could not have the two-course set menu as we had decided to have a cheese board which was not one of the chosen desserts! We persisted and she eventually changed our bill...

I’m afraid that, throughout the evening, Jana was not particularly helpful or pleasant and after the eventual payment of our bill we were not addressed again nor were we shown where our coats had been hung (luckily I remembered from the last time I had visited).

All in all poor customer service and after one month from sending them a similar email highlighting our encounter we have had no response from Tamara the owner.... they obviously feel that it is not worth acknowledging poor customer service which is a shame as they will lose the goodwill of their regular and adhoc customers - especially in this economic climate!

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank bex186260
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2011

I have stopped bothering to report on the dozens of mediocre places I stay at each year and reserve praise or derision for the extremely good or bad ones.

The Whitehouse is extremely good. Among the best places I have ever stayed. Not sure why it’s not listed as a hotel on Trip Advisor but it is nothing short of one. It is “boutique” the way I want it: stylish, relaxed, comfortable, functional, friendly and delivering great food and service without making a fuss about it. So many of these places talk a good game and then totally fail to deliver the equivalent quality or do it in a snooty and self-satisfied manner. This place is stunningly good at what it does. Relaxed is the absolute theme: the two lady owners and the staff (Janna) treated us like regulars and at no time did I feel I was in any way inconveniencing them or asking too much. That alone is a trick that pitifully few hotels these days can manage (I can be awkward?).

Our room, Room 5, has the biggest bed I have ever slept in and a simply enormous and beautiful bathroom (see picture) that you need to see to believe. The restaurant food and service is excellent even on a very busy Valentine’s night and breakfast both days was as good and varied as I have had for some time. “Full English” delivered par excellence. All the food is freshly made, much using local produce, and it tastes like it with plenty of invention and originality.

This place is just great and in a wonderful part of Devon. Go and stay there soon; before word gets out!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

My fiancee and I stayed for a relaxing weekend recently and could not have been more impressed. I arrived late which did not seem to be a problem to the brilliant staff. We stayed in room five, which was wonderful - spacious, with an enormous bed (emperor size!), comfy sofa and plasma screen TV in the room, with an en-suite with a huge bath big enough for two and a walk-in rainfall shower that was lovely. I had two great nights sleep in that bed and as breakfast was served until 11am there was no rush in the mornings.
The food in the resturant was superb - really high quality ingredients, well cooked and nicely presented. The home-made breads, jams, hummous and Italian coleslaw were really tasty! There was a really good selection of wines, and the manager even recommended one of the cheaper ones, as she particularly liked it.
There were open fires, with three different downstairs sitting areas with comfy leather sofas all over the place. There were even two friendly Oriental Siamese cats - Havana and Percy who will sit on your lap if you are by a fire.
The staff were really friendly and helpful - they even helped me jump start my car when the battery was flat!
The hotel does not have a pool/spa or fitness room on the premises but you get automatic membership to a gym in Dartmouth with the room. We didn't go there though - too busy lounging around.

We could not recommend this place any higher - yes it is expensive, but it beats other 5 star hotels I have stayed in for service and quality. We cannot wait to go back again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2010

I have to say I was suprised by some of the negative reviews of this place having taken by partner their to get engaged and had such a wonderful time. What was even more suprising was that others negatives were my positives.
For me the relaxed nature or the place with music playing, cats and dogs (2 super friendly whippets - and I am not a big dog fan), relaxed staff, gorgeous up to the minute interior decor in a quiet spot (yes there is a road but it is in Devon not central London) made for a wonderfully relaxed few days. Food at the restaurant was expensive but good and there are some great options within a short drive.
Unfortunately it is a long walk (or short drive) to the coast but you can't have everything.
My advice would be read the reviews, look at the pictures and give it a go, bearing in mind that it is a very relaxed place.
Oh yes and the room had the biggest bed I have ever seen in it - i am 6'2 and could lie in it in any direction without my feet being over the edge - luxury indeed

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chillington
Salcombe Harbour Hotel & Spa
Dart Marina Hotel and Spa
Cutlands Barn
Cutlands Barn
#3 of 6 in Chillington

Been to Whitehouse? Share your experiences!