“Mini Moon”
Review of Whitehouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chillington
Whitehouse
Ranked #3 of 6 Chillington B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stayed at the Whitehouse a few days after our wedding on 2nd July. Our main honeymoon is approaching this September so we wanted a few quiet days away which we called our Mini Moon. The Whitehouse was perfect. We stayed in room 4. It was amazing. Huge roll top bath in the bedroom. Very romantic. The resteraunt was gorgeous. we went there the first night and loved it. Most dishes served on rustic chopping boards. Food was great. We were booked in to go to another place the second night but changed our mind and stayed at the hotel instead.
Previous reviews did not concern me when they spoke about dogs being at the hotel. If you do not like dogs. Don't go to a dog friendly hotel. Now that would be an idea would it not.
We would go back again for sure. Perfect Mini Moon and perfect for the first few days of our life together. Well done Whitehouse and it's staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank brownie39

Reviewed June 22, 2011

Having read one or two very negative reviews on this site(after booking) we were a little apprehensive to say the least.
Open fires,a great wine list that was not too expensive,open fires,super linens and beds. Above average dinner(we ate out the second night),not great but a really superb breakfast left us wanting to return. Yes our large room was a little noisy as it was on the roadside and there were a few other niggles but overall a highly recommended hotel,great gardens,dvd library etc etc.
As it is a small hotel and the owners are present it obviously isnt to everyones taste but we thought this a refreshing change.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MrandMrsSuitcase
Reviewed March 14, 2011

A party of eight of us had dinner on Saturday 19th February. All except one of the party ordered from the set menu that they were offering - which we enjoyed. We all ate two courses (from the two-course menu) following which some of us decided that we would then have a dessert (some of which did not feature on the set menu e.g. the cheese board). I think, reasonably, we were therefore expecting to be charged the two course set menu price plus the additional price for the cheese board. However, we were charged for all three items separately (and this had not been explained to us at the time of ordering the desserts)! This was mentioned to Jana, the restaurant manager who had served us all evening, but she told us that we could not have the two-course set menu as we had decided to have a cheese board which was not one of the chosen desserts! We persisted and she eventually changed our bill...

I’m afraid that, throughout the evening, Jana was not particularly helpful or pleasant and after the eventual payment of our bill we were not addressed again nor were we shown where our coats had been hung (luckily I remembered from the last time I had visited).

All in all poor customer service and after one month from sending them a similar email highlighting our encounter we have had no response from Tamara the owner.... they obviously feel that it is not worth acknowledging poor customer service which is a shame as they will lose the goodwill of their regular and adhoc customers - especially in this economic climate!

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank bex186260
Reviewed February 17, 2011

I have stopped bothering to report on the dozens of mediocre places I stay at each year and reserve praise or derision for the extremely good or bad ones.

The Whitehouse is extremely good. Among the best places I have ever stayed. Not sure why it’s not listed as a hotel on Trip Advisor but it is nothing short of one. It is “boutique” the way I want it: stylish, relaxed, comfortable, functional, friendly and delivering great food and service without making a fuss about it. So many of these places talk a good game and then totally fail to deliver the equivalent quality or do it in a snooty and self-satisfied manner. This place is stunningly good at what it does. Relaxed is the absolute theme: the two lady owners and the staff (Janna) treated us like regulars and at no time did I feel I was in any way inconveniencing them or asking too much. That alone is a trick that pitifully few hotels these days can manage (I can be awkward?).

Our room, Room 5, has the biggest bed I have ever slept in and a simply enormous and beautiful bathroom (see picture) that you need to see to believe. The restaurant food and service is excellent even on a very busy Valentine’s night and breakfast both days was as good and varied as I have had for some time. “Full English” delivered par excellence. All the food is freshly made, much using local produce, and it tastes like it with plenty of invention and originality.

This place is just great and in a wonderful part of Devon. Go and stay there soon; before word gets out!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 13, 2010

My fiancee and I stayed for a relaxing weekend recently and could not have been more impressed. I arrived late which did not seem to be a problem to the brilliant staff. We stayed in room five, which was wonderful - spacious, with an enormous bed (emperor size!), comfy sofa and plasma screen TV in the room, with an en-suite with a huge bath big enough for two and a walk-in rainfall shower that was lovely. I had two great nights sleep in that bed and as breakfast was served until 11am there was no rush in the mornings.
The food in the resturant was superb - really high quality ingredients, well cooked and nicely presented. The home-made breads, jams, hummous and Italian coleslaw were really tasty! There was a really good selection of wines, and the manager even recommended one of the cheaper ones, as she particularly liked it.
There were open fires, with three different downstairs sitting areas with comfy leather sofas all over the place. There were even two friendly Oriental Siamese cats - Havana and Percy who will sit on your lap if you are by a fire.
The staff were really friendly and helpful - they even helped me jump start my car when the battery was flat!
The hotel does not have a pool/spa or fitness room on the premises but you get automatic membership to a gym in Dartmouth with the room. We didn't go there though - too busy lounging around.

We could not recommend this place any higher - yes it is expensive, but it beats other 5 star hotels I have stayed in for service and quality. We cannot wait to go back again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I have to say I was suprised by some of the negative reviews of this place having taken by partner their to get engaged and had such a wonderful time. What was even more suprising was that others negatives were my positives.
For me the relaxed nature or the place with music playing, cats and dogs (2 super friendly whippets - and I am not a big dog fan), relaxed staff, gorgeous up to the minute interior decor in a quiet spot (yes there is a road but it is in Devon not central London) made for a wonderfully relaxed few days. Food at the restaurant was expensive but good and there are some great options within a short drive.
Unfortunately it is a long walk (or short drive) to the coast but you can't have everything.
My advice would be read the reviews, look at the pictures and give it a go, bearing in mind that it is a very relaxed place.
Oh yes and the room had the biggest bed I have ever seen in it - i am 6'2 and could lie in it in any direction without my feet being over the edge - luxury indeed

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at whitehouse last weekend and loved every second.
I booked it as a surprise for a special weekend. I spoke with Greta to make the booking and she was very helpful in talking me through the rooms. Rooms five and six were already taken which are the largest quietest rooms in the hotel. I opted for room one which was a very light bright room and overlooked the garden. The bathroom was open to the bedroom which we didn’t mind, and Greta had told me this when I booked, so I knew what I was getting.
When we arrived we were met by Nora who showed us our room and then made us a lovely cream tea which we ate by the fire in the sitting room. Exploring the room, we found alsorts of technology and a whole range of smellies that the hotel had made themselves with everything from shampoo to bath soak and massage oil. The bathroom was covered with old floorboards and had an exposed stone wall. The room had a square bathtub which was great for a shower but was hard to have a relaxing soak as it was so deep and not possible to sprawl out. The bed was covered in big pillows and soft linen but it did squeak and creak as we sat on it.
When we went to dinner we told Nora about the bed and about our ipod dock which did not seem to work and when we went back to our room there was a new ipod dock and I don’t know what they had done to the bed but it was silent! The room had been cleaned again and made cosy for us to sleep. The blinds in the room were closed, the bedding re-tidied and the bedside lights were on. Just what we wanted when we came back with our after dinner drinks.
We stayed two-nights and ate in the restaurant both evenings. The first night we had a double fillet steak for two with a bottle of aged Argentinian Malbec which was recommended by one of the owners who was having a glass of wine at the bar. Despite a couple of other reviews I had read on TA just days before I was going to stay, it was reassuring to see two of the owners one evening sat at the bar and then eating in the restaurant.
On our second day we had breakfast at the sensible time of 11am and talked to Tamara who had been at the bar the night before, and was serving us our breakfast. We were asking what to do and she told us about their new farm shop about 10minutes from the hotel and a beach cafe, but this was closed for the winter. We walked to the shop which was very unexpected – in the middle of nowhere, a buzzy and exciting food store with fresh fruit and vegetables, a large garden centre and cafe area – it was clear it had been given a whitehouse twist, with slate walls, funky wallpaper and friendly attentive staff. We bought a bottle of wine that we had had the night before for dinner so we could take it home with us. We then carried on and walked to the beach at Torcross before going to Dartmouth, a pretty riverside town where we got a boat to a small village pub for lunch in Ditisham (another recommendation from breakfast).
Overall our stay was as good as we had hoped for. The house itself was beautifully decorated with lots of different furniture and lighting creatively put together. This is certainly a very different experience to staying in most hotels but if you like being looked after and the finer things in life, then this is definitely for you. We will certainly be going back and now we’ve stayed once, we want to try all the other rooms.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Whitehouse? Share your experiences!