All reviewsthe blue roomport arthurperfect hostsone nighttasman peninsulaother guestshomemade breaddelightful accommodationlocal wallabieswonderful hospitalitycomplimentary glass of portprivate deckstayed longerlocal informationacacia roomlovely couplefabulous views
Reviewed January 15, 2011

I stayed at Storm Bay with my 13yr old son who loved the atmosphere. The hosts are very genuine, helpful and accommodating. The two types of freshly baked bread at breakfast were lovely. The living area is very comfortable looking out to the big deck with generous tables and chairs affording magnificent views. A beautiful spot.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Stayed here during a night at the Port Author Ghost Tour. Only a few minutes from the historical site and had great panoramic views of the ports, oceans and mountain ranges.

It was very cheap at $99 as we got it last minute and included a continental breakfast. Breakfast was simple and quick but after a week of cooked breakfasts we were happy with the home made breads, fresh fruit, juice and cereals.

As we went in winter it was not the greatest of times for southern Tasmania. The room only had a small fan heater and was very cold through the night. The bed was small the sheets and blankets very thin.

Overall it was good the price and we were happy with the bargain.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 31, 2010

We loved everything about this place. The room was so cozy, with a shiny modern bathroom, soft sheets, and filtered water and wineglasses laid out on the table next to glossy magazines. The information booklet includes menus for nearby restaurants (I wish more places would do this!) and the owner seemed really friendly and shared his own recomendations for dinner. Breakfast is served in the communal lounge room or outside on the deck, the views are incredible, and the plunger coffee and thick slices of wholemeal bread are a nice accompaniment. It's a 10 minute drive for Port Arthur, so perfect if you are planning to do the ghost tour there. Our only (small) complaint was that it got quite cold at night and there didn't seem to be a heater. Not too bad in March, but it would be really icy in winter.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank micragetz
Reviewed March 9, 2010

My husband and I booked a night away from the ordinary and never expected something as wonderful as this - and right on our doorstep (well - 2 hours away!) We were horrified after our stay to read the review about the "Tank Room", as this is the same room we stayed in and were more than happy with it. Maybe because we live in the country and rely on tank water we accepted that you need tanks if you want water ... but the tanks are not at all part of the view - the view we saw was the lovely Storm Bay, out over the paddock - glorious at sunrise and at sunset. The room was lovely - set out well, fastidiously clean and I, for one, loved the wall hangings and other little souveniers of Jill and John's world travels. The whole house reflected their interesting lives and I was happy to share in their memories. Please disregard the Tank Man's complaint! These are lovely people who will go out of their way to ensure your stay is comfortable and private. How anyone could complain about the price or the view is beyond me. Excellent value for money and we definitely plan to visit again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Major disappointment! We picked this property because of the beautiful photos on their website. We were surprised that we had to pay the full amount in advance (only place where we had to do this), but fully trusted the wonderful information and photos on the website. Arrived early in the evening; beautiful location, nice private road leading up to the main house. We were welcomed by a friendly young man, not the owner as he explained. He showed us the breakfast room and the deck - gorgeous views on the bay. So far so good. Unfortunately our room (the Bay View Room) was a major disappointment to both my wife and me. We were speechless, our jaws just dropped. The (small) room and its "furniture" were completely outdated, there was this awful purple drapery hanging on the wall behind the bed, on the (very small) bed itself was a dark blue "spread", in bumps and wrinkles - it did look unclean and very used & outdated to us. No complaints about the bathroom: it was very spacious. However, the biggest turn off for us, was the view on 2 large green tanks just outside our room!!! Yes, we saw the bay - but it was impossible to overlook those ugly tanks. We were so shocked that we left the property to have dinner but never returned - except to hand over the key of the room. In stead of staying 2 nights in an already paid for room, we chose to stay in the nearby Comfort Inn in Port Arthur. This very simple hotel looked like paradise to us, compared to the so called "Bay View Room" in the Storm Bay Guest House. No tanks, tricked photos or false promises, just a simple, but tidy room. No need to say that we contacted the owner about our disappointment. We asked her to (partly) compensate us. Jill replied that she couldn't understand our complaints; not about the room and not about the view on the tanks. She even stated that one cannot see the tanks at all from inside the room, only the view on the bay. Therefore she stated that our complaints were unfounded and completely unjustified. Obviously she refused to return at least part of our money. Funny things is, that she included a photo of the view from the Bay View Room - SHOWING THE TANKS!!! Although this photo obviously was manipulated too (the view from our room wasn't like this at all), it still shows both tanks very clearly. Needless to say, you won't find this particular photo on the website! No, we would NEVER recommend this place to our family or any of our friends.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank lemi2010
tallscottishperson, Owner at Storm Bay Guest House (Bed & Breakfast), responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2010

Of course I am disappointed when a guest does not enjoy our property but unfortunately on this occasion, I was in complete disagreement with this guest that there was a problem and cannot offer a refund when I feel the complaints are COMPLETELY unjustified (and the guest doesn't tell me until 9.30pm on the evening of their arrival therefore not allowing any time to resell the room at our busiest period of the year).

I feel so strongly about this that I have happily posted the full 180 degree view (that I sent them) here on trip advisor to let people decide for themselves. The photograph is NOT manipulated, just a simple 180 view with nothing left out. Yes, you can see the tanks but they are not blocking anything. (There is a tree and a bush immediately behind them) The other 95% of the shot shows uninterrupted views of the Bay and therefore clearly allows me to call this the Bay View Room! I am also making arrangements for this photograph to be on my own website.

Regarding the other points:

It is common to all operators and wholesalers who offer online bookings to take payment in advance however we are more than happy to take bookings via email, in fact this guest's original enquiry came through a 3rd party website and was responded to by me with information about how to make a confirmed booking with a clear explanation that payment would be on arrival. They chose to book through our website.

Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that guests will like the decor but can guarantee that the room was spotless. There is a picture of the bed (with hanging curtain behind) on our website.

I just hope that other Trip Advisor visitors will see this for what it is - a completely unjustified complaint and put it into context with the other reviews already posted here. In fact the threat to post bad reviews was only made after I had refused a refund.