“Ticked all the boxes”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in San Vero Milis
London, United Kingdom
“Ticked all the boxes”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We booked our trip through Secret Escapes and got a very good deal and can not pick holes in the package at all.

From the moment we booked I checked Trip Advisor every week to see what sort of reviews the hotel was getting and I have to say on a whole they were excellent but I feel there were a few that were slightly unfair.

The package was sold to us as a "Gourmet Holiday" and promised 5 course set menu every night, which the hotel live up to. Occasionally you got technically two course in one serving and that only happened 2 nights out of the 7 night that we were there and it was the pasta course.
Menu is basically set out the same way that Italians eat there meals. Antipasti, Starter, Pasta or risotto course (or sometimes both!) then a main course of Meat or Fish and then Dessert.

I have eaten in my fair share of Michelin starred restaurants and I have to say overall the food was very good. Some fellow reviewers complained about the position sizes being too small, but they were more than enough and if you are going for a "gourmet experience" you should know that your plate is not going to be groaning with food.

My partner and I eat everything so we didn't have a problem with the menu but we did see the hotel staff being very accommodating to other guests who didn't want particular things on the set menu or others who had special dietary requirements. The alternatives that came out always looked delicious and just as much thought had gone into those dishes as ours.

As all the the other people have reviewed the staff are outstanding, so warm and friendly and really approachable. They are extremely knowledgeable of the area and are happy to give advice as which are the best beaches and towns to go to and they don't just direct you the touristy places. They hotel will lend you beach umbrellas to shelter from the sun and they will loan other things such as snorkelling equipment too.

The staff at dinner are very knowledgeable about the wines which were superb and are all local. The wine is pricey (but worth it) with the cheapest wine being about 20 Euros. However if you are not a big drinker you are not made to feel that you have finish your wine every night. The staff were happy to save it for you for the next night which is what we did.

The hotel has a home from home feeling to it as it is small with only 18 rooms and it wasn't completely full when we were there. There are apparent plans to expand which I hope won't ruin the feeling of the hotel.

The rooms are nice and large and very clean. I would say they are not luxurious but they homely. I have to agree that the beds are hard and coupled with thin / hard pillows they at not the most comfortable beds that I have slept in but I never had trouble getting to sleep in them but that could have been because of my full tummy after the evening meal or the excellent wine!

The hotel is remote and you do need a car to get the beaches etc. In the evenings there is not a lot to do so getting to know your fellow guests is important and having long dinners and early nights which is what we did.

The pool area is lovely, a real sun trap.
I can see the point of some of reviews saying there is not enough loungers if the hotel is full. As it is a remote hotel sometimes you don't want to be driving to the beaches and so the pool is used a lot by the guests to relax. This is probably the only area that they may need to look in to especially if they are going to expand. For us it wasn't a problem.

This really is a place to switch off and relax and not having English TV or Wifi access didn't bother us (and we are facebook, twitter etc addicts) It makes you chill, read your books, and chat and communicate with people.

If you are looking for the Ritz then this is not and they are not trying to be. If you are looking for a relaxed, quiet, informal, friendly environment then this is the place for you.

Would I recommend this place? Yes if you are looking for a place to totally switch off, do nothing and recharge.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank HMPIM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2012

There is a lot to commend this place. Peacful, rural, nice beaches close by, excellent staff, overall I enjoyed our stay a lot, but it is let down by a few points.

Firstly, and it may seem trivial, but buy some more sunbeds for goodness sake. There are only 18 rooms, you need 30+ sunbeds not the eleven that they actually have. I don't expect to not get a sunbed in a four star establishment. Others have raised this point, go and buy some..

Secondly we were sold a package featuring a gourmet seven course tasting menu every night. Well it was 4 courses most nights and 5 on a couple of others. I don't consider four cubes of melon on a glass saucer to be "gourmet". Two prawns and four potatoes isn't either. I don't expect a gourmet desert to be served in a plastic beaker, not a fish course to arrive still wrapped in tin foil for me to unwrap.

Tour operators need to be truthful. If they just said half-board with a fixed rustic local menu then that would be fine, I'd still have gone probably. Raising this issue with the operator get a purile response of "maybe the chef has changed the menu now".

The irritation with the food aside I can't fault anything else. Rooms were clean, staff were lovely, other guests freindly and chatty. Very civilised. The drive from the airport was a bit long, but easy and roads were clear.

I'd love to recommend this place unreservedly, but they need to match delivery with expectation - I hope they close a gap and do well in the future.

10 Thank oysterpicker
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My family and I enjoyed a wonderful 10 day vacation at this lodge. The staff was very courteous and attentive. They have a gourmet chef who prepares daily sardinian meals which are lovely when accompanied by the local wines. They have an extensive wine list which has approx. 68 wines that are grown and produced locally. The manager Massimo is very charming and always made sure our needs were met. The beaches are close by, clean with blue turquoise water. I would highly recommend this lodge to anyone wanting to experience a truly Sardinian vacation.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank mugshel
Buxton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We have just returned from a relaxing break at Is Benas. The hotel is quiet and close to good beaches. The staff are very friendly. However, we booked this holiday through Secret Escapes where it was advertised as a 'gourmet holiday' with a 5 course taster menu each evening and it was far from that. Most evenings, there were 4 courses rather than 5 and most of the food, though nice, was certainly not up to 'gourmet' standard and one evening, the food was very poor, there was very little of it and it took 2 hours for it to be served! If you have a hearty appetite, you would be well advised to eat a good lunch. One thing I would add though is that the staff accommodated me well with fish dishes as I do not eat meat. The hotel itself is pleasant, the rooms are good and kept very clean and there is free use of a safe. However, one thing that annoyed us was that if you take your own water into your room (or any other drinks bought outside the hotel), you will be charged corkage and the drinks in the hotel are somewhat pricey. We went to the beach most days which is fortunate as there are not enough sunbeds around the pool. There are 18 rooms at this hotel so potentially 36 people at least and yet there are only 11 sunbeds. I think it would be a good idea for them to invest a little money in some extra sunbeds. There were no children there during most of our stay but a family did arrive just before we left but I would say that this is not a hotel for children especially if they are fussy eaters. If you visit the beaches, we recommend S'Annea Scoada (lovely white sand) and Su Pallousu (follow signs then drive right to the end of the road and park free beside the crash barrier), there are lovely rock pools here and fantastic sands if you walk around to the right once down on the beach. There is little to do in the evening at Is Benas so getting to know fellow guests makes the holiday and we spent most evenings chatting and drinking wine.

5 Thank 50Cas
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I have just return from the Is Benas which has a very rural feel situated down a dusty lane off the main road. Make sure you read the map carefully, many people get lost on the final bit once you are the sp10.
The staff led by manager Massimo make your stay in the 18 room hotel very homely. They are very obliging and are always willing to give advice or generally be helpful in any of your requests. We chose a lower room which overlooked the tennis court at the back of the hotel because this had a patio area which we thought would be nice to sit out on in the afternoon/evening with a drink. But unfortunately we were pesterd with flys and mosquitoes so this option did not get used as much as we thought, so it was only used for drying any wet cloths. The room was ok, clean and the aircondition worked well, there is is also a saftey box and a fridge. The tv for any british viewer only gets BBC 24 and eurovision, but be careful when using it or you loose the satelite. We did find the bed and pillows hard , but thats personnel choice. The bathroom was small and could do with a refush around the taps and the corner shower cubicle might be a little small for some people.
The food serve in the restaurant was not to my taste and some nights the SET menu was strange to say the least. Very small portions are served which are supose to reflect the areas cruisine. There is not an option of a choice and if you dont eat meat, this appears to create a problem for the chef, who will only offer fish if its available. My wife change her desert one night and was offer cheese for which we were charge an extra 5 euros. Breakfast is very basic, with not a great choice for a 4* hotel.
The swimming pool has no shallow end so for small children and non swimmers there is no other option. A jucuzzi would be a good investment along with some extra sunbeds and umbrellas as these became a shortge when the hotel was full. I was also taken back to be charge 2 euros for the use of a towel at the swimming pool......A first!!
Putzu Idu beach ( few klm away) is only a narrow strip and gets very busy, its better to continue a couple of extra klm for Mandriola beach (parking charge)(cafe) or go to Sa mesa slightly further on, small beach and coves very safe and quiet. (no cafe)
This hotel is good once you get your bearings for car excursions to such places as Bosa,(very nice, with a market and castle to look at) Alghero, Sinis peninsula with Tharros roman ruins and also some beachs. And there are numerous nurahe sites, Nuraghe Losa, and Su Naxi to name two. You can also get the train to Cagaliari from Oristano 12 euro return.

Having visited Sardinia 3 times in various areas of the island and used quite a few hotels I felt this hotel was very friendly and people tend to want to make friends as you did not have any where to go on an evening ( this is common in a lot of Sardinia's hotels....this is not Spain or Greece) So a drink and conversation on the front terrace is very pleasant.

But the area that this Hotel lack's which should not be a problem for the amount of people staying is the lack of choice and the inflexable menu which is not a reflextion of some of the other 4* star hotels I have stayed in on Sardinia

Room Tip: I paid approx £40 a night more for the lower room with patio than an upper room. I personally did...
2 Thank ciderboy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2012

I am not in the habit of writing reviews, but in this case I was compelled to post something, so that others could be guided, and a more informed choice could be made.
Is Benas promotes itself as a top class venue that prides itself with high end cuisine, and charges prices to reflect its claims.
The reality is that its perceptions and promotions are no where near the reality. The food is bizarre, but not in a nice way. One is presented with a variety of small taster dishes that do not follow any of the rules of nutrition or a well thought menu. One is presented with pasta and potatoes in the same dish, and the menu construction is one that a GCSE student would not put together, as they would fail.
My wife is a vegetarian; this should not have presented any problems, as the Mediterranean diet is based on a variety of vegetables and fresh salads. However, the chef could not understand the concept, and asked me to write out a list of dishes that he could cook. The food was a mixture of rustic and Michelin star style. Neither worked, leaving many dinners confused, disappointed and hungry. It is a shame that the food did not reflect the Sardinian cuisine, as this would have been far more welcome.
The room was promoted as a Superior room, well if the basic requirements such as a bed, shower and wardrobe make for superiority then truly it was. However, that also makes every motor way sleep over lodge also superior, even more as they provide you with room facilities such as tea, coffee and kettle.
Unless you enjoy paying top prices for middle of the road goods, consider this venue carefully.
The area itself is beautifully quite and the beaches are clean and easy to get to by car. The reception staff are very friendly and do their best to accommodate and be helpful

6 Thank cp123107
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Had a great week here in July. The hotel lived up to all our expectations and despite previous comments was easy to find if you can read a map (it is signposted by the way).
The staff here are wonderful and really go out of their way to make your stay as memorable as possible.
We were also lucky in that our fellow guests were all good company, they may have had to stock up on wine after we left!
The food was very good as long as you know in advance that it is a set menu of rustic Sardinian food and although we had no problems with the food it was not as described by some tour operators!
After saying that we would definitely return.

Room Tip: Would recommend a ground floor room at the back. You have a small verandah and they are replacing th...
1 Thank Yorkflyer
Hotel Bella Vista S'Archittu
Hotel Costa dei Fiori
Hotel Costa dei Fiori
#2 of 14 in Santa Margherita di Pula

Been to Is Benas Country Lodge? Share your experiences!