“great place”
Review of L'Orto Agriturismo

L'Orto Agriturismo
Reviewed September 12, 2012

wonderful people (from Francesca through to her friendly, professional staff), excellent food, & generous portions.
great job francesca, absolutely no complaints ! we only spent a day in sardinia - en route to Sicily from Corsica - but it was a memorable stay here... as it was for the other guests im sure

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
franziska70, Proprietario at L'Orto Agriturismo, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2015

Dear Guests, thank you for your stay by us and for posting your feedback for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.
We'll do our best to improve our hospitality. We hope forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I've been quite impressed with the quality of this place. The owners, Giorgio and Francesca, always take care of you. Moreover they are able to be warm and discreet at the same time. The rooms are comfortable, clean and cool. The WI-FI is good and you will appreciate the swimming pool located in the lovely garden. The meals are served in a cosy atmosphere. The breakfast is first-rate: you can go for homemade cakes, jams, biscuits and whatever you would expect from a continental breakfast. If you decide to go for the half-board, you can choose to take a seat at the common table or, if you don’t feel like socializing, to have your dinner by yourself. In any case you will enjoy the excellent Giorgio’s Sardinian cuisine mostly based on the products of his farm. The staff, perfectly coordinated by Francesca, is kind and helpful even if some of them don’t speak English, which is not an issue because Francesca speaks a fluent English (and French and a bit of Spanish too) and she’s always around. The location is perfect for exploring the Sinis peninsula but also very convenient to get to some of the main Sardinian archaeological and touristic sites (you need a car, of course). But I suggest to focus on the Sinis peninsula first: an incredible area rich of historical and naturalistic treasures where you can find some of the most beautiful beaches of Sardinia.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests, thanks for your review. We work hard to give always to our guests a great stay. We are happy to know that you had a good holiday in L'Orto. See you again in L'Orto for your staying in Sardinia, Francesca and Giorgio

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The reviews on L'Orto Agriturismo are mostly super and this is 100 % thanks to Francesca and her husband Giorgio and her very helpfull Staff, cleaners, kitchenaids, but we had most contact with the very hardworking and superfriendly students who work here during their summer vacation. Francesca spreaks English and French and is very helpful in every way. So please ask if you need assistance.

L'Orto has a lot to offer, but no five star luxury. Everything is present, a pool, very good working WIFI (surf 6 MBS, and upload 0,5 MBS), good beds, good working bathrooms, extreme hygiene, everything is cleaned every day.

But you most go there for the half board, It is really an experience.
It is the first time since we go to Italy that we had this kind of service and we loved it... Of course your fellow traveler can ruin your holiday or make it superb...
We were lucky, or fellow travelers were the best !

I loved the food, and believe me, I am a foodie ! This is good Sardinian Cooking ! Excellently prepared with love for the ingredients... But no fuss...

Diner starts at 08u30 PM, but most italian guest only arrive at 08u45... and last until 11u00 PM.
You get every night antipasta, a great tasty pasta-dish, main course (meat or fish) with potatoes or vegetables, cheese, a dessert, and then coffee or tea, and to finish up a digestif-alcohol, Mirto or limoncello. There are big bottles of still and sparkling water on the table, as well as plenty of red wine. When there is fish white wine is served...

Breakfast is good and served from 8 to 10 AM. You have coffee, warm milk, cold milk, bottle orange juice, warm water and choices of tea, good bread buns and lot's of different cakes and cookies. There are different kinds of jam's and there is cheese and italian ham.

The surroundings of l'Orto are not the best Sardinia can offer... No evening walks around the premises, or in the village. The region has mostly great nature to offer... You need a car to get around. Francesca gives directions if you want. But do share your experiences at the dinner table. We had lots of good tips and adresses from our fellow travelers...

To summarize, you get out of "L'Orto" what you put in !!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
lorto, Proprietario at L'Orto Agriturismo, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear Guests,
thank you for your suggestion, appreciations and for posting your feedback for all our upcoming guests to read.
We are very pleased to read how you enjoyed your experience with us especially about dinner by us with all the other guests!
We would love to welcome you again with us in our Agriturismo.
Best regards, Francesca and Giorgio

Reviewed June 18, 2012

There are many varieties of the Italian Agriturismo—from welcoming family farm, to commercial operations that run with slick efficiency. L’Orto falls into the latter category. Dinner is served by a professional wait-staff, while the owners sit at their own table, looking on, making sure things run smooth. Dinner is good: fresh, tasty Italian food and a real range (you won’t go hungry). Breakfast is the usual Italian fare: bread, butter, various house-made jams (cherry is good) and strong coffee. But if you’re interested in feeling an authentic farm experience, you’ll leave here wanting more. The rooms—former housing for farm laborers—are subdivided, and as a result, quite dark. The only source of light in our apartment came through the front door that was shaded by curtains. Bathroom is grand with good water pressure and plenty of hot water, and there’s a lovely looking pool out the back. If you’re looking to indulge in good food and lazing around, this is a decent spot. But overall the place lacks heart, and felt distinctly like a swift business. No warm embrace here. If you want real Italian hospitality, you can do far better.

Room Tip: Ask for one with light, not sure they exist but ours had only a slider as a source of light, a slide...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
lorto, Proprietario at L'Orto Agriturismo, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Guests,
thank you for your stay by us and for your appreciations and suggestions.
I always ask to my guests if everything is ok and I accept suggestions because I know that I need them to improve my work.

All I do here with my guests and for my guests is made with love so not only strong coffee for breakfast or jams and butter with bread but also biscuits, cakes, different flavours of tea, juice, yogurt, honey, rusks, ham, different kinds of cheese and, when we have, ricotta. Cheese is from our farm as well as ricotta, jam, yogurt, biscuits and cakes as well.

Not external staff to welcome our guests but I do it by myself. It is me that ask continually, in danger of being boring, if everything is ok, if they need something, if they know where to go to see better beaches and places, if they need maps of our zone, if they need me to search a place where to stay in Sardinia after being at L’Orto…so I have not to speak about “staff” who help me here but just about me. Maybe once I can’t serve dinner and my guests are served by my “staff” – But I don’t like to call them staff at all because they are part of our family: all of them are students (no one of them speak English and this is not a good thing) but they are kind and try to be helpful.

The owners are my husband and me and none of my guests - since we opened our house to guests, 11 years ago - have seen us seated at our "table looking on, making sure things run smooth “. It is true that we spend a lot of time in the kitchen and only there we can seat at the table just the time to drink a glass of water or to eat a piece of bread while serving dinner.
But our guests know that if they need something we are there, waiting to be helpful for every need.

Although I love to seat at the same table with my guests but only if there is intimacy because of their stays here from a long time. And when I have new guests I take care of them by myself - even if I don’t seat with them at the same table - asking if the food is good, if the room is comfortable and a lot of others details that I feel stupid to write here because they are part of a particular contest, of a particular speech, of a particular situation.

Moreover I am never sure that things run smooth here. Neither when I ask to my guests if everything is ok and they say to me “great!” or “good!”. I am sure I have always to improve my work.

My education and background prevents me from being so cold and impersonal and I suffer knowing that my guests did not find the welcome he deserved. I'm not talking about the hospitality that guests would expect to find, according to the best reviews or his best hopes but I am talking about the welcome that the guest deserves. I grew up in a family where hospitality is a cult, a way of educating me.
For this I am very sorry and this is why I would like to apologize.

But…in none of our rooms the front door is shaded by curtains. We have no curtains on the doors. Moreover the rooms are not “former housing for farm laborers” but new rooms, built in 2005, trying to make them cool during summer by using wooden roof and they have been designed to be comfortable, proper and suitable for guests of an “agriturismo” not for farm workers!
If you open the door, by your veranda you can see a big cool green lawn while from the windows on the opposite side of the room (they have a curtain) you can see a green lawn, the swimming pool and big olive trees. Maybe the rooms are not so bright because of them… maybe they are quite dark but if my guests need more light I can change them in another room, inside the main building, facing on orange and lemon trees.

I am very sorry for all the bad things you have found in our house and in our family and this is why I would like to apologize once more.

Best regards, Francesca

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on the way north to south and really enjoyed it. Great food though I agree with an earlier writer that it would have been helpful to know a bit more about what we were eating! It wasn't always self evident and as foodies, we'd have liked more engagement and we had to ask a few times what things were - not about being fussy but just really interested. That aside, its fantastic value and the pool and surroundings are really well looked after and the standard was high for the price. Thoroughly enjoyed it, even the all-night frog chorus and the cute little frog that found it's way in to my shower! Would definitely recommend to others looking for something that that is so NOT a hotel.

Room Tip: If you're right next to the pond, the frogs will entertain you all night! (Not as bad as it soun...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank PYHCardiff_Wales
lorto, Proprietario at L'Orto Agriturismo, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2012

Dear Guests, thank you for your stay by us and for your appreciations and suggestions.
We'll do our best to improve our hospitality
We hope forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed May 20, 2012

I really wanted to love this place based on the rave reviews from the other posts, but I am afraid L'Orto came up short and does not merit a 5 star.

First, the good things:
- nice gated property surrounded by olive trees and a huge grass lawn. It has a swimming pool although the water was too cold to comfortably swim in
- The food was wonderful. Dinner starts with a glass of aperitif. There are 4 types of antipasti (cheese, cold cuts, grilled eggplant, roasted peppers) served followed by a Primi of pasta and a main course of fish or meat. It would have been great if the owner/manager, Francesca took the time to describe what was served: were the fruits and vegetables from her farm? What type of fish, pasta or cheese did we have? Part of the reason why we stayed in an agriturismo as opposed to a regular hotel was to enjoy the local experience. I am afraid the overall service we received can only be described as cold and indifferent. At first I thought it could be due to a language problem, but based on our previous email exchanges and brief conversations, it's clear that the owner spoke and understood English well. The only real interaction we had with the owner was when she showed us our room the first day. Perhaps, I expected too much, especially after reading all the glowing reviews. For whatever reason, we just felt unwelcomedat L'Orto. We've travelled all over Italy in the past and have stayed at other agriturismos, this was the first time we felt a serious lack of hospitality in the part of the management . We decided to shorten our stay at L'Orto to 3 nights (we had planned to stay longer) and we are glad that we did.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Noel C
lorto, Proprietario at L'Orto Agriturismo, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Guests,
thank you for your stay by us, for your appreciations, suggestions and for posting your feedback for all our upcoming guests to read. It is always appreciated.

We are very pleased to read that the food we served meet your expectations although we would like to apologize for not meeting up to your expectations concerning our hospitality.
Each of us knows that has to be courteous, helpful and professional towards our guest at all times. And this is not to make they feel as in an hotel but it is to make they feel as in a family. That is what we are.

Especially when our guests are all together at the table for dinner I try to explain every time what food we are serving, if it is from our farm and something about how it is cooked.
But not all the staff can speak English, unfortunately and, maybe, I was too hurried - getting back into the kitchen to prepare the rest of the meal.
This is why I would like to apologize once more: I was sure that my brief presentation was enough.
Although I have to run back and forth, I am always helpful to answer any curiosity expressed by my guests not only about food but also about our zone, giving them all informations they need.

We cannot change what has happened in the past but we will utilize your comments for improvement in the future.

I hope forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed May 2, 2012

We visited L'orto at the end of a two week stay touring Sardinia and Corsica and I am so glad we came here last - otherwise all our other accomdation would have been a disappointment after this. The loaction is just outside a small village and totally secure with automatic gates The rooms are very spacious, clean and excellently furnished. The beds are incredibly comfortable. Everthing you need is there including the ability to park the car very near to the room (we were in number 10). The grounds are beautiful, next to a fruit orchard, and a there is a lovely pool at the back of the rooms. But the best part is the half board evening meal - which is incredible, a taste of real Sardinian cooking - Francesca is fantastic - i don't know how she does it all. And it includes the wine and after dinner drink with your coffee. If you don't opt for half board you are seriously missing out - this was one of the main highlights of our trip and we will be going back next year and taking our families.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet - but you can park your car next to number 10 which is at the end of the row.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank busy1954

Dear Guests, it is a lot of time that I want to reply to your review, just to say thanks for your stay by us and to say that our efforts here in L'Orto atr great but they are widely rewarded by your appreciation.
We hope forward to welcoming you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Vero Milis
#2 of 15 in Oliena
Rosso di Sera
Rosso di Sera
#12 of 261 in Alghero

Been to L'Orto Agriturismo? Share your experiences!