“It's One Heck of A Drive, But Worth Every Curvy Mile...!!”

Fontana Dam & Visitors Center
More attraction details
Owner description: One may take a cable car ride into the depths of the Fontana Dam.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“It's One Heck of A Drive, But Worth Every Curvy Mile...!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

While in the Bryson City, NC area whitewater rafting, my husband and I decided that we could NOT go back down the mountain without seeing the noted Fontana Dam. Off we went on what turned into a very long (over an hour) ride through some of the most breathtaking scenery we have ever seen as we viewed water falls, rock formations, glorious mountain foilage, and Fontana Lake Marinas to our left and right before, finally, reaching the famous Fontana Dam. And, I must say, the sight and history before our eyes was worth every mile on our tired bodies!! What a wonder to behold...most especially considering this outstanding TVA project was completed, man made lake and working dam, in the 1940's when innovation was infantile and American will was strong. We would make this trip again to see such a marvel, indeed. I will say that the Fontana Dam Village area is NO place to visit for long. There is one small store with a very friendly clerk to buy a beer, soft drink or snack or shoot a game of pool and gas up for the ride down the hill, but little else but the Fontana Dam Resort. So, eat before your trip up and be sure and stop at this wonderful store before you head down the hill...but all the inconvenience is well worth this slice of American history!! A sight to behold, indeed!!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank ACH1956

Rockwall, Texas
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“Amazing Architecture”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

The architecture of this structure is amazing, especially given the time frame if was constructed. It's well worth the drive to the top and bottom to see it all. It's even better on a motorcycle!

Visited March 2012
Atlanta, Georgia
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“I love visiting Fontana Dam! Beautiful area.”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My dad helped to build Fontana Dam way back in the day so I've been visiting it since I was a little girl. It is fascinating. You can actually go down inside the dam and see the huge turbines and things.

There has been a long standing story that two men are actually buried inside the dam after falling in during the building of it. I'm not sure if its true but it certainly adds to the fascination!

Visited March 2012
Knoxville, Tennessee
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“fontana dam”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

me an my family went here we really enjoyed it we went inside the dam to see how it ran it was a very educational trip for my kids they loved it also i will go back we also camped in fontana wonderful trip :)

Elberta, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Try to see the spillover”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

On our way out of NC, on our honeymoon we stopped by the Fontana Dam. Evidently this dam, has a lot of old controversy surrounding it but evidently they have a spill over that once its released shoots 150 feet into the air. I don't know if they let the public watch it but I would have like to seen it.

Visited October 2011