“Try to see the spillover”

Fontana Dam & Visitors Center
More attraction details
Owner description: One may take a cable car ride into the depths of the Fontana Dam.
Elberta, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Try to see the spillover”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

On our way out of NC, on our honeymoon we stopped by the Fontana Dam. Evidently this dam, has a lot of old controversy surrounding it but evidently they have a spill over that once its released shoots 150 feet into the air. I don't know if they let the public watch it but I would have like to seen it.

Visited October 2011

Delaware
445 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,754 helpful votes
“Tallest Concrete Dam East of the Rockies--worth a peek”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My husband and I decided to stop and view Fontana Dam as we were driving Moonshiner 28 over to Bryson City from the Tail of the Dragon. We saw a sign for the Dam & the Visitor Center. We decided to drive down the road to take a peek at the base of the dam by the powerhouse. It was only a few minutes from the highway that we got a peek of this HUGE dam. There was an informational sign there that told us a little bit about the dam. We learned that it is the highest concrete dam East of the Rocky Mountains at 480 feet high. It was kind of neat to see this huge structure & imagine how much water it was holding back. We only stayed a few minutes & then continued down Moonshiner 28. We were short on time, so we did not take the turn off later for the Visitor Center, but we could see it from the base of the dam. Also, you could see cars driving across the top of the dam towards the overlook. IF we make it back to the area again, I would like to drive up to the Visitor's Center. Another thing we found interesting is that you can camp at the base of Fontana Dam. We could see the campers across the Little Tennessee river from the dam parking lot. It is kind of an erie thought to think about camping there with ALL that water just on the other side of the dam, but it looked like a nice place.

Overall, we enjoyed what we did see of the dam. I would recommend it. It only takes a minute to peek at the dam from beside the powerhouse. IF you want a more in depth look, I would suggest a drive up to the Visitor Center & Overlook. If you are real adventurous, consider camping next to the base of the dam at Fontana Village.

Visited July 2011
Florence, SC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Its a site to see..”
Reviewed November 17, 2009

If this dam is near your route to another attraction which it was for us, then by all means, stop by and check it out. The gift shop was closed when we went and we only spent about an hour there taking pics and just looking out into the mountains and lake. But it's something we really enjoyed viewing.

1 Thank Statix
TENN
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“MY WORST EXPERIENCE ON A TRIP”
Reviewed April 13, 2008

My husband and i drove over to fontanta village for a qucik trip for our anniversy. needless to say it was more like a episode of cops. we were walking around and looking at the dam and secenry. on one side of the dam was a walkway that took you to the other side -there was a part that was taped to each side of the dam-my husband walked about 50 yrds passed this next thing we know here comes the tva security the officer drives up slings his door open walks straight to my huband and asks for i.d. my husband asks whats the problem? the officer says do you work for the tva? and one question after another- we were treated as if we were terroists or something!!! so our trip started good but ended with a 125.00 tresspassing fine for my husband! so if you go to fontanta dam be on the lookout for a '"Clint Eastwood wonabee" or you will leave with a seuvoiner too! Karen Ottinger Greeneville TN

3 Thank RUSTYSGIRL
A TripAdvisor Member
“Need to see this dam”
Reviewed September 2, 2003

If you live within 150 miles of this dam you should take the time to stop by and see it. It's not the hoover or anything but it is BIG!!