“Definitely Worth It!!”

Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Clapham
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Part of the 5 Star New Inn Clapham , Bistro 1745 serves a fantastic range of locally sourced delicious meals to suit all tastes, recently winning a 2015 Breakfast award!
Reviewed January 16, 2017

I had to search a little to find this absolute gem located in a beautifully restored old coaching inn in Clapham village.

We chose to eat in the Bistro away for the bustling bar full or thirsty walkers and shooters, although I wouldn't have baulked had I the option to sit in the bar as the atmosphere was lively and welcoming.

Equally the bistro although located beyond the residents bar is still well laid out and welcoming and as it got busier full of tales of the days adventures in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. We were seated next to the front windows just near a large round table that seated 7 or 8. If I had a larger group, I'd definitely book this as it looked a great deal of fun, however we didn't so we soaked up the vibes and thoroughly enjoyed the view of the brook from our location next to the fire.

The menu is not overly large, but offers something for everyone. Well laid out and easy to understand. I had the Scallops to start and my partner the amazing seafood chowder which is a meal in itself. A half portion here would easily suffice as a starter.

For our mains, I had the Roast Beef and my partner the steak. Simply no better food have I had in the Dales. The steak was cooked as requested and was served simply without too much fan fair. Definitely an indication of the divide between pub grub and fine dining. The Roast Beef was the best I have ever encountered. Flavour times ten.

Had I room for dessert, I would have definitely had the Chocolate Fudge that came to the table next to us....it looked amazing. Plus the servings of unusual local ice creams looked tasty too.

Good reasonably price wines and beers if you stick to the main local brews and this is definitely a place to come for a relaxing high quality meal. I don't see any difference to the pricing you would see at other established gastro pub / tourist pub locations like Malham, Kirkby etc. But there is something a little unusual about this one. Perhaps its the fact its the only one in the village and you feel like your the only people sharing a special occasion.

Well worth a visit....and if your a walker or into the outdoors, I'd consider staying the night, what I heard from the other guests obviously staying overnight is the rooms are great.

1  Thank CraigTillotson

Reviewed November 1, 2016

Recently booked this hotel through Secret Escapes. The weekend was excellent value for money and we enjoyed our stay. We ate both evenings in the restaurant in front of a roaring log fire, lovely. The food was delicious and beautifully presented. The breakfast menu was also excellent and very plentiful with quality ingredients, if a little chaotic.
We were allocated a room in the adjoining stable block. Although these rooms have been renovated to a high standard it would not be my choice to stay in an annex. I personally found the room a litte chilly and the radiator could not be adjusted but by far the most annoying feature was the fact that some sort of fan came on when any of our adjoining neighbours used the bathroom. This was really loud at 2.00 am and 4.00 am and was on some sort of a timer that did not switch off for nearly three quarters of an hour.I did mention this to the Manager and he promised to look into it but the noise persisted throughout our second night. Had I been staying longer I would have asked to change rooms.
The Dales are beautiful and we will hopefully return but not in Room 5.

Reviewed August 23, 2016

We called in for a light lunch and were not disappointed. I had an excellent seafood chowder and my husband the cock a leekie soup, also pronounced excellent. Both were served with two mini loaves and good butter. The decor is very pleasing and everywhere was spotlessly clean. The only niggle was the charming waiter who kept repeating the above phrases to all and sundry. I stopped counting after 20. I know this is supposed to be modern 'speak' but a simple Yes Sir would be nicer. However, that is really nit picking. We gave our experience 10 out of 10.

Reviewed June 13, 2016 via mobile

The landlord, who forgot on this occasion to don his highwaymans mask, brazenly committed daylight robbery charging £7.30 for a pint of bitter and 1/2 a larger and thought it perfectly fine as he has 'refurbished' what was once a British pub!!

Terrible

1  Thank ella w
Reviewed May 22, 2016 via mobile

Visited here for Sunday lunch and had lovely food with good service, but certainly feel that the 2 mains and 3 drinks don't warrant the £40 price tag - I've had 3 course meals and drinks for the same price - with better quality and quantity as well.