“Girls Catchup”

Ranked #48 of 91 Restaurants in Cheadle
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed June 6, 2014

My friend and I were in need of a good girlie catchup so as on other occasions we went to The Bijou.
We have been about half a dozen times before and have always enjoyed it, and this time was no different.
We got the comfy sofas in the corner ordered our lunch with a little banter from the owner who is always very helpful and very patient! Girls like to deliberate!
Our food came and my friends Ploughmans looked and apparently was gorgeous, really fresh. I had the hot Chicken and Bacon sandwich which too was lovely.
We caught up with all our news and then decided to have another coffee along with a cake, which you just have to do! These were lovely homemade cakes which just rounded our afternoon off perfectly.
It was as always a great afternoon in The Bijou, lovely food and service, and we both said on the way home that it is like sitting in your own lounge having a chat. There was no pressure and we were not rushed at all.
Just a lovely afternoon, thank you......

1  Thank Roz R

Reviewed March 9, 2013

A friend and I decided to go for lunch here. This turned out to be a grave error. I ordered scrabbled eggs and toast with brown sauce. Upon the food arriving the toast was rather soggy, apologetically I said that I had meant to ask for the the eggs separately. I explained it was because the toast goes soggy otherwise. The man serving, who I assume is the business owner, must have taken offence at this explanation, as he moodily retorted, 'you don't have to explain the mechanics. I am an educated man'. My friend and I, as well as other dinners were rather taken aback by the comments. This soured the experience entirely. In addition to this, when I asked for some brown sauce, the owner then point blank refuted that I had asked for sauce, stating, I should have asked earlier, which was strange, considering how trivial asking for condiments should be. Eventually he returned with the sauce and conceded that I had in fact asked for it, to the owner's credit he did muster a solitary 'sorry'. To cap the experience he said 'next time, get you order right the first time round' I responded saying there wouldn't be a next time. I found rather amusing that despite his claims of being an 'educated man' he failed to recognise that his manner was completely at odds with the industry he has chosen to work in. A thoroughly unpleasant experience overall, I would highly recommend NOT going and putting money in to this rude man's business.

6  Thank Foodbaby691
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Superb staff, drinks, food and surroundings!!!! Ideal for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Great selection of premium beers and fantastic full English breakfast!! I will be returning. Staff very friendly and down to earth!! I went with the family for a reunion and was a perfect venue to eat, drink and chat!!

I would ignore any of the negative feedback below.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

As it happens, I was in the Bijou at the same time as the previous critical review. The lady's comments are a travesty of justice. They bear no relationship to what actually happened. Like all patrons she was well treated and seemed to enjoy her visit. I can't imagine what caused her to write this review.

Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time I have been here and there certainly won't be a third! First time I asked if we could bring our baby group as the place is always empty and I thought it would make for a quiet environment in the village. I was told in no uncertain terms 'No' as they don't like buggies in the cafe. I thought I would try it again just with my baby. Firstly the owner abused my buggy and said it was oversized and I wouldn't find it useful and would change to a cheap fold down one (?!?!), then when the bill came they charged me £6.50 for a latte and a piece of cake. When i questioned the price, the lady got incredibly angry and rudely told me I didn't have to have ordered anything! Considering I was trying to support a local business, at those prices, I will be going back to one of the big chains!!! Safe to say, I won't be returning!!!