“Don't waste your money”

Ranked #1 of 2 Cheadle B&B and Inns
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Don't waste your money”
Reviewed May 8, 2012 via mobile

A group of 12 of us decided it would be nice to go for our meal on bank holiday Monday. It wasn't excessively busy, but reasonably steady. We ordered food and some people got their meals relatively quickly, others had to wait up to half an hour. Surely all the food should be brought out at roughly the same time if we all order together.

2 members of the group clearly got forgotten about & didn't get their meals until everyone had finished theirs. Side orders were forgotten, meals that came out were not as described on the menu. Chips were pure grease & clearly not fresh. 1 of our group ordered risotto, when it turned up it looked like it had been sat on the side for half an hour & then pinged in the microwave. When we complained the manager just looked at us as if we had 3 heads, no offer of apology. I strongly recommend you go elsewhere & don't waste your money in this place!!

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Stockport
Reviewed May 4, 2012 via mobile

This pub is what you would call our local and I'm extremely disspointed. After having a poor quality meal a few months ago, thought I would give it benefit of the doubt. Not again. Went tonight and waited 25 minutes to get our food (it wasn't busy!) to then find my foos stone cold. The waitress should would sort it out. My husband had finished his meal by the time I got my food back, now hot and the same chips!!i know this as I had salt on them prior to returning. There was no taste to the fish cake and the Creme fraise it came with was awful! My husbands meal also had coleslaw missing (not the first time they have done this) no one came over after to see if ok. I am a very firm believer in no one taking notice of the quiet people who don't complain too much, as it these that will not return and tell everyone they know about the poor service.....I will not be eating here again and voted with my feet!

Stayed May 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Decided to try the Governors after hearing that it was a popular pub/restaraunt. Saturday was very busy, as expected, but we found a table and my husband ordered and paid for the meal when he went to the bar for our drinks. It took some time to do this because of the volume of people wanting drinks. Our starter arrived quite quickly, but then we had a long wait for our mains, by which time we were ravenous. My meal was steak and chips, the steak was reasonable, but the chips were greasy, lukewarm and obviously not freshly cooked. My husband referred to his chips as soggy with grease and the batter on his fish was also soggy with mushy peas that had solidified. Nobody came over until it was obvious that we had finished, then a poor young woman came and asked us if everything was ok, to which I replied no. She said she was very sorry and would go and see if there was anything she could do for us. Although it was too late to compensate us and our evening had been spoiled I think the response of the manager was out of order. The waitress returned and apologised again, explaining that the chips they make at the Governors are skin on and that was the reason why they were greasy and soggy. She was obviously embarassed and I said I didnt blame her. The manger was stading at the bar nearby and was totally disinterested. I will not go to the Governers again and I would advise others to give it a miss if they are looking forward to a good meal.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This was my first visit to 'The Governor's', very comfortable beds & pillows, clean rooms, plenty of hot water & heating even during the snow & frost! Service in the bar was a bit slow, staff very friendly, would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the car park
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Liverpool
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Went to see newly refurb pub tonight.
Sat down far end and stood at bar waiting to be served. The staff were serving so I waited, and waited. Decided to go done to where they were serving or had been.
The staff walked off and left me stood there, the manager was talking to a customer next to me, think there was a problem with the bill. He talked and talked never asked anyone to serve me.
Gave up after 10 mins the staff were still hiding or in the small back kitchen talking,
I WALKED OUT with my wife, won't be going back.That was 20 mins of our short lives waisted!

Room Tip: Dont bother.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StinkyLiverpool
Daventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2011

A nice pub, with good size car park offering rooms above so don't expect top-rated accomodation or an early night. Rooms felt a little dated but were clean and comfortable and although not give-away pricing nevertheless reasonable night's stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheadle
Village Hotel Manchester Cheadle
Premier Inn Manchester (Handforth) Hotel
Waterside Hotel & Leisure Club
Waterside Hotel & Leisure Club
#56 of 116 in Manchester

Been to The Governor's House Hotel? Share your experiences!