“Great food but that's all.”

Bar Bar Black Sheep
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: John & Susanna Tecklenburg has moved Bar Bar Black Sheep to the rustic farm life on the Oude Wellington estate. Here they continue their cooking with fresh local source ingredients. Country style cooking at its best. Personal service from the owners themselves to give the extra touch to make Bar Bar Black Sheep guests feel special. we welcome you to follow us back to the farm. After all. Sheep belongs on a farm.
Somerset West, South Africa
“Great food but that's all.”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We had a great meal here, but the service was poor and the smoke from the fire hectic.
The setting as a classic razzmatazz of different chairs and tables plus a bit of retro.
i would go for the great food, but that's all.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Shaun F

Cape Town
“Nice setting”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The food was alright. There was not much choice for a vegetarian though. It was the sunny setting that afternoon which was more memorable

Visited August 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Amazing food, poor though friendly service”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

First off: Eat here, the food is truly amazing - we had the sardine starter (we are still raving) and the extremely delicious, rich bacon and chicken pie. All presented attractively and very, very tasty. Great wine list, too.
BUT. Man oh man the service was bad! First, after I'd booked AND phoned back on the day to confirm, my booking had been misplaced, and when I asked to speak to the manager, the chef came out... So no manager on a Saturday of a long-weekend? Luckily one little table was left over, and we could sit down. And wait... and wait... Our starters came after about an hour. After another 40 minutes or so, we were told my main (which we'd ordered when the starters came, mistake, that was) was out of stock. So I changed my order, we waited another, oh, thirty minutes... Upon paying I asked whether they were short-staffed, and the very friendly and knowledgeable waiter confirmed this. I blame mismanagement for 90% of the problem, as the waiter was really sweet and seemed capable (though could have really taken some initiative even when short-staffed and come to our table more promptly, if only with news).
But MAN, those sardines... go have them!

• Visited August 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Bad Bad Black Sheep”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

After our visit to Kloovenburg we arrived in the small town of Riebeek Kasteel VERY hungry!

We had been told by a few people that the only place we should go to for lunch was Bar Bar Black Sheep isn’t that just the cutest name ever!?

The walk way down to the restaurant was beautiful and quaint, it felt like we were in a different country strolling past the little shops and cafes. We finally made it to our destination and found the place packed with people inside as well as in the courtyard and under the trees outside, but no one in sight to attend to us.

Out of desperation we just grabbed our own table and sat down – 20 min later, no one had come to give us menus yet or take our drinks order and a customer sitting a table away from us took pity on us and came over to explain that they lived in the area and that it would be faster if we just went to the bar to place our order.

We did just that and managed to get some menus from a lady, that I assume was the owner. She was very friendly and came over to explain the specials and take our food order. One and a half hours later we were still waiting for our burgers. No one had come over to explain the delay or offer any kind of compensation, when I enquired why it was taking so long we were simply told it won’t be much longer and got some olives to snack on.

Saying that the service was bad would imply some kind of service and in our case I can assure you there was zero service. They should just convert it into an ‘order at the counter’ type setup and then there won’t be any frustration.

Eventually our food arrived and I must say it was delicious and unlike any burger I had ever tasted, although I can’t honestly say whether it was the burger or my starving taste buds that made it so good…by that stage a stale piece of bread would’ve been just as appealing I think.

All in all not a good lunch experience and unfortunately I won’t be rushing back there any time soon.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank LaravanDyk
FoodFinderSA, Public Relations Manager at Bar Bar Black Sheep, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback - this review has been brought to the attention of the owner Joanne Hurst. I am awaiting her response and will revert.
Paarl, South Africa
“Value and quality maintained”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have not visited BBBS since Meinhardt Joubert moved on, but after a recent visit discovered that all is still well. The menu is largely unchanged and contains well prepared dishes cooked in a hearty style. The tappas plate is an excellent option to share as a starter. We had the lamb rib, chicken pie and fish & chips as mains - smiles all around. The food is complemented by an excellent and reasonably priced wine list sourced from local wine makers. Joseph, our waiter, went out of his way to move our table to a sunny spot, and was able to provide guidance on the lesser known local wines from the wine list. We will be back very soon!

• Visited July 2013