Posada Salentein
TikayKilla Lodge & Wines(Maipu)(Great Value!)
$74
Solares de Maipu(Maipu)(Great Value!)
$61
Esplendor Mendoza(Maipu)(Great Value!)
$142
$89
Orbitz.com
Cavas Wine Lodge(Lujan de Cuyo)
$390
$169
$160
Lares De Chacras(Chacras de Coria)
$181
$107
TripAdvisor
Casa Glebinias(Chacras de Coria)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewswine tourfood and wineprevious reviewshorseback ridelaid backempanadasstayed nightsfew monthsseparate buildingoutside areaa wonderful staystayed longerbeefmendoza regionstate of the artliving roomasado
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We booked a 3 night stay at the Posada as a place from which to do some wine touring and relaxing. We arrived about 9:30 in the evening after a full day of travel from El Calafate. We were immediately well accomodated and made comfortable in our very nicely apointed room. The staff throughout our stay were helpful and eager to please. On our first day we stayed around the Posada and visited the Killka Art Gallery at the Posada, which was beautiful and enjoyed lunch at the winery and a tour, both of which were perfectly done.
I would recommend the Posada as a great location as a base to visit Uco Valley wineries and to enjoy the pool grounds and food,

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mdweb
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Although we had a little difficulty finding the place after dark, once we got there, it was a total delight. It wasn't just the accomodations, which were excellent, but it was also the relaxed environment that made it so great. The staff was incredibly accomodating and there didn't seem to be any "rules" that said they couldn't do something. We left when we wanted to, not because we had to be out by a certain time. They hustled to get us something to eat even though the kitchen was closed. Their attention to detail and guest satisfaction was superb. It is also absolutely beautiful. The room was spacious and very comfortable. We only wish we had stayed longer.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Connie C
Reviewed December 4, 2011

After visiting the beautiful state-of-the-art winery we had very high expectations of this Posada which shares the large Salentein estate, in beautiful Uco Valley.

PROS:
Beautiful area, grounds, trees.
Decent size rooms, decorated OK. Nothing terribly wrong with it. Although somewhat cold.
Breakfast not bad, when it finally gets served

CONS:
Service - non-existent to nonchalant
No management anywhere to be seen
Not enough furniture in public area. 16 rooms and only 2 settees. Guests have to share them or drag heavy armchairs around. Still no space to seat 32 people.
Indifferent, cold dining room
Boring to mediocre dinner menu, no choices, no printed out menu, no explanation about the food or wine, wines poured with nothing explained, paired by whom and why - no one says (and this is wine country!)
At 9 am, one poor guy was trying to set the buffet, serve coffee and tea, etc. By the time we were finishing eggs suddenly arrived at the buffet. Waiting time for coffee was long.
The dirty ashtrays, wine glasses and coffee cups from the previous night were left overnight and until 9.30 am at the public area (the porch attached to dining room). We had to clear it up when we wanted to sit down. Other guests rolled their eyes in sympathy. One said I should have asked the waiter. I felt sorry for him: he was barely coping with the buffet and breakfast, all alone.

No one attends the swimming pool, no towels, no one around. Apart from being unpleasant - it is dangerous with kids.

And if you wish to know in more detail why you should avoid this place, you can read on...

The disappointments started at check-in: as we arrived at the small reception area, there were two chairs, one of which was occupied by a uniformed worker of some sort (kitchen help maybe), who did not bother to greet us, nor move from her seat for any of us four guests to sit. One of the staff members seated behind the desk was attending to her. Greeting us informally and briefly he completed what he was doing and then dealt with us. The other staff member was the chef, who was printing the menus. We waited standing for them all to finish before we could be checked in. It was odd.

We were shown into our rooms which are arranged in a long one-story building all facing the lovely garden. Our room was quite close to the parking lot and entrance. It was not very quiet. When I phone to inquire whether we could be moved to a quieter room, I was told that it was full, but they will come back to me. The guy (Andres, who checked us in) promised to come back to me shortly. 30 minutes later I tried my luck again. In a beautiful and peaceful place, you wish to rest. But that was not possible with the noises of people coming and going, children playing outside, etc.

The next phone call was answered by a Matthias, who transferred the call to Andres. The call dropped. Nothing again. Another call and a promise to call me in 10 minutes. The call never came. Needless to say, we never moved. Luckily it quieted down later that afternoon. The next morning when checking out, I mentioned to Andres I was still awaiting his call. His response astounded me:"I told Matthias to call you", was his excuse. At which point I knew these guys simply have no hospitality skills, and no understanding of what service means. No apology offered. Nothing. It seemed like he could not care less.

The dinner was very disappointing. Once we sat down in the impersonal large dining room, a guy approached us and put plates with some cold meat starter on it. Wine arrived only a while later. Drink orders were never taken. Bread we had to ask for. When we asked what are we eating, some faint explanation arrived. But no menus. The main course was one option only - trout in almonds. Average. Chardonnay of the house offered with the first course and the Pinot Noir with the main. Nothing else and no choices.

Once we were back in Buenos Aires, we spoke to at least 4 other people who have been to Salentein and agreed this was very bad. It is a great pity given the brilliant surroundings and the wonderful winery.

Room Tip: Just avoid the whole place...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Capetonian14
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I had high hopes for Posada Salentein. It had received some decent reviews in recent months, and the photos made it look like a really wonderful place to spend a day or two in the Mendoza wine region.

Trust me when I say this. There are soooo many more beautiful places to stay in the area. Don't get me wrong, the location of the posada is quite lovely, it sits directly on acre upon acre of vineyard. The (unheated) pool is just a stone's throw away from the main building up on a grassy knoll, and if you get a room which is spacious and modern (make sure you specify!), the bathroom is quite excellent.

However, the cons massively outweigh the pros. The rooms themselves are large but cold and unwelcoming. A large TV counts for something I guess, but nothing detracts from the fact that the rooms feel like the inside of an asylum. Furthermore, for the 24 hours that we forced ourselves to stay at the posada, we did not feel comfortable for a second. Dirty throws over the bed linen are totally unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.

As for the service, I can't really say much because there simply wasn't any. Came down to the main building for dinner at 8pm and sat at a table for 20 minutes before anyone bothered to come say hello. The four course set menu served that evening was a joke. Let me clarify:
Course 1: A piece of toast (yes, normal sliced bread put in a toaster), covered in what looked and tasted like lard, some smoked ham on top, garnished with a few leaves of rocket and carrot shavings. I couldn't help but laugh.
Course 2: A quite tasty pumpkin soup, but topped off with what could only be described as pieces of plastic. I was told these were slices of cheese.... They had no resemblance to cheese.
Course 3: A well-cooked but tasteless slice of Salmon with some uninteresting and instantly forgattable sides.
Course 4: A joke of a dessert. Imagine a heaped table spoon of strawberry jam, topped with a mixture of ice cream and whipped crea, and a few strawberry slices for decoration.

We had the pleasure of paying a whopping £110 for our meal, which included a few half glasses of wine to go with each course. Let me give you some point of reference with that price. We spent the same amount at Casa Cruz a week later in Buenos Aires. Look it up.

The bodega nearby, of which the posada is a part, remains a must see! A really fantastic wine tour and great tastings too, not to mention a spectacular setup of fermentation equipment and the like. However, until the Posada Salentein gets in some new managers, a new chef, a chamber maid or two, and some half-decent interior designers, I would never want to return to this dire place.

I don't really understand the 5* ratings and the positive comments of previous reviews, but there you go. To each his own, I guess.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alex K
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My new wife and I stayed here near the end of our trip to Argentina and we could not have stayed anywhere better. The staff were super right from the start and ready to help with what ever we desired. The wines from the winery are truly world class and some of the best wines we have tasted and enjoyed. My wife works in the wine industry so we have had the opportunity to taste many wines.

The food is wonderful. The dishes are all full of flavor and taste and cooked in front of you on the open wood fire where you and talk to the cooks and see how they prepare the meals.

We enjoyed the wine tour and horse back ride but mostly the stunning scenery and ability to take long walks through the vineyards and along the cool shady irrigation canals and lines of trees.

We highly recommend a visit and if you are so luck to stay here, you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple